icon

fan motor switch honda vt750

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
carloadfour 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2014 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  
I'm consolidating my ignition switch and starter button into one unit (automotive type where you just crank the key).
On the old setup, the ignition switch has three wires. switching the key activates all three:
FAN - power to fan motor (has it's own fuse)
IG - accesories
BAT1 - battery (fused)
The new switch doesn't have a terminal for FAN..which gets power directly from battery. Could I just the tap the BAT1 line?? Would it overload something?
Do I need a relay, and how would I set that up?
I'm new at this. It's a honda shadow aero 2007 vt750. Any ideas?
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2014 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  
You should be able to use a relay to supply fan power - ie, the switch supplies #86 (with #85 to GND) & #30 to +12V (via fuse); #86 to fan.
However find out what is controlling your fan.
It may be a relay from a thermister etc in which case may simply need to reconnect that relay's coil feed.
If it's a direct switching (high current) thermal switch, I'd suggest rewiring to have the thermal-switch switch the coil, but that's to take the strain off the thermal switch. (Like brake & reverse etc switches, they'll usually last longer switching a relay rather than 2 or more 21W etc bulbs direct. Only where contact whetting is required might high currents (maybe 0.5 - 1A) be required; but coil spikes usually suffice for that.)
carloadfour 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2014 at 10:56 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply.
This diagram is for the ACE. The fan motor circuit is the same.
As you can see, the only wire I need to mess with connects to the old ignition switch.
So I couldn't splice it to the battery or accesory wire?
(the other two wires coming from the ignition switch).
I guess I could do a relay.
fan motor switch honda vt750 -- posted image.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2014 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  
No diagram posted.
What I mean is that if your new switch cannot handle the fan power (or anything else for that matter) just use its IGN to supply the +12V to the +ve (86) of a relay coil, then 85 goes to whatever GROUNDING switch (eg, thermostat) is to activate the coil and hence relay contacts 30 & 87. 30 can be fused from battery +12V & 87 to whatever load (eg, fan).
When IGN is off, the relay turn off.
carloadfour 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2015 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  
Ok. That makes sense. Still scratching my head on how to make that happen with what I have. I isolated all the wires I thought were relevant in the pictures.
Not sure if the thermostatic switch just turns on the light, or controls the fan switch. Seems like it just lights the bulb correct?
In the fist image IG just sends power to horn, turn and stop (fused. On the new switch this will be ACC. START engages the solenoid when key is turned, getting rid of the starter button.
The Green wire seems to be a main ground for the electronics on the bike (ECM, headlight, meter unit).
carloadfour 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2015 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
The new switch does have two terminals for a Magneto as well. Possibility??
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2015 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  
The Magneto position is probably closed contacts with the key off.
Add a relay: Terminal 86 to RED / blue at ignition switch, terminal 85 to green or chassis ground. Terminal 30 to red at ignition switch, terminal 87 to blue/orange at ignition switch.
Or you could rewire to have the relay control the fan through the thermo switch. This would keep high current from flowing through the thermo switch.
carloadfour 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2015 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  
Ok right. So I could still run the indicator light off the same wire? As in picture:
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2015 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  
The 86 terminal of the relay only needs to be connected to the ignition position of the new switch. The fan motor is controlled by the thermo switch. The engine coolant temp sensor, temp indicator control unit, and temp indicator are an independent system.
carloadfour 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2015 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
So as is the 'fan motor switch' trips the fan motor. So I could get rid of the fan motor switch, and ground the motor itself. Then thermo switch to 86; trips fan motor when temp is reached.
Is this what you meant by 'rewiring to have the relay control the fan through the thermostatic switch'?
86 needs to be wired to the switching mechanism, to trip the load (87). right?
That ACE diagram is slightly different than my bike, the ignition position on mine just sends fused power to turn signals, horn and brake lights.
Would look like this??
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic