icon

2000 dodge dakota door locks

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jsigna 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2014 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  
Hey Guys.. I plan on getting my girlfriend a Viper Remote Start/Keyless Entry.
She has a remote with keyless entry now.
I am reading a lot of different stuff on other forums.
Can someone explain to me what to do with the door locks?
http://diagrams.marktoonen.nl/printlist.aspx?MakeID=16&ModelID=13790
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2014 at 1:20 AM / IP Logged  
Factory keyless entry follow the diagram indicated https://www.bulldogsecurity.com/diagrams/extrainfo/diagrams/14301_DAKOTA_DAKOTA%203-5%20WIRE%20DOOR%20LOCKS%20JBS%20UNITS.pdf
Aftermarket keyless entry, piggyback on previous install.
jsigna 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2014 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  
catback wrote:
Factory keyless entry follow the diagram indicated https://www.bulldogsecurity.com/diagrams/extrainfo/diagrams/14301_DAKOTA_DAKOTA%203-5%20WIRE%20DOOR%20LOCKS%20JBS%20UNITS.pdf
Aftermarket keyless entry, piggyback on previous install.
So I did see that.. however in the PDF is 3 diagrams.. Which one is the one I would follow for Factory Keyless entry?
WTH is a JBS unit?
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2014 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  

You would use the top diagram.  I believe most Viper R/S units do not have on-board lock relays.

But as Catback previously mentioned, if you already have an aftermarket R/S w/keyless entry, I would investigate how that was installed and just use the door lock portion - controlled by the new viper.  It is likely external relays or hopefully a DEI 451M module.  Try looking under the dash to see what is currently installed.

Your truck is not a basic install.  There is a bit of learning curve required.  Plenty of research and reading needed.

Here are some sources for wiring info :

Here is a link to Bulldog Security :  http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/bdnew/vehiclewiringdiagrams.asp

Here is a link to Ready Remote :  http://www.readyremote.com/main.asp
Here is a link to AudioVox :  http://techservices.audiovox.com/AccessRequest.aspx    Sign-up & info is free.

Soldering is fun!
jsigna 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2014 at 1:38 AM / IP Logged  
Looks a lot simpler then my 2013 STi :P
So there is not aftermarket anything in the truck..
It is factory keyless entry.
So the top diagram seems simple enough.. Should I do quenching diodes to protect the R/S lock outputs?
jsigna 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2014 at 2:05 AM / IP Logged  
I am reading on the forums that people are saying to use resistors... I am assuming they are talking about 2000 dakotas without factory keyless entry?
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2014 at 6:19 AM / IP Logged  

Not exactly.  Guess I misunderstood about an after-market system in the truck.  It's currently stock and only has

the Factory FOB's with remote keyless entry.  That will make things easier with a virgin vehicle.  No prior mess to
sort through.

You didn't mention which particular Viper remote start with keyless entry system you plan to use.  Lets assume a

basic model without an alarm, like the Viper 4606V.  Like most newer Viper units, this system only outputs a low
current (-) lock pulse.  While this is fine for most vehicles, the 2000 Dakota requires a rather unique interface.

The 1997 through 2000 Dakota has two types or door lock systems ( as viewed from the after-market installers

vantage point ).  A truck without Factory RKE has basic Type A (+) locks.  This setup needs a high current +12V
signal from the R/S unit.  Your truck with Factory RKE has a hybrid system known as "3/5 wire" locks.  The Lock
wire needs just a +12V pulse but the Unlock wire needs a +12V pulse applied to only the motor side of Unlock
wire.  The relay used does this when triggered by the Vipers Unlock output.  Neither Dakota model requires
resistor(s).  The next version Dakota ( 2001 - 2004 ) had a "single wire" lock system and does require resistors.

The easiest way to accomplish this is with the DEI 451M Door Lock Module.  They are very available from various

"online" sellers for less than $10.  This module has many feature that make the price very attractive.
1.  The 451M has a 3 Pin connector that allows it to plug in to the Viper unit directly at the Viper locks connector.
2.  The 451M is a compact module that makes the install easy and very neat.
3.  No need for coil quenching diodes.  The 451M is a sealed unit.

Here is a link to the 451M install guide :  https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/file.asp?ID=726

Unfortunately, there is no diagram in the guide to show the exact wiring necessary for your truck.  It's Type A for

the Lock wire and Type C for the Unlock.  You can follow the Bulldog diagram as a guide.  Here is the specific wiring
for the 451M for your truck :

WHITE/ Black     not used

Green Black    to Dakota ORANGE / Violet @ Driver Kick Panel
Violet/Black     to +12V constant through 15 Amp fuse ( with 451M Violet wire - do not cut / separate )

BROWN / Black   to Dakota Pink/Violet @ Driver Kick Panel  switch side - cut wire

Blue/Black      to Dakota Pink/Violet @ Driver Kick Panel  motor side - cut wire 
Violet to +12V constant through 15 Amp fuse ( with 451M Violet/Black wire - do not cut / separate )

The 3 Pin connector just plugs into the Viper's 3 Pin Locks connector.  That's it.

Here is a link to a nice document that provides a lot of information about vehicle door lock systems and testing :

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/file.asp?ID=708  The vehicle info contained in this guide only goes to 2001.

Soldering is fun!
jsigna 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2014 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  
Wow.. once again.. Thank you guys!
Yeah FKE so Type A lock and Type C unlock.. Got ya!
I may buy the module.
jsigna 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2014 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, got the door locks and starter working... down to one thing.
The horn. I am using a Viper system and it gives me a negative output.
I found a BLACK/ red wire for the horn put it is always positive until to press the horn and then the circuit breaks.
Any idea how to get the horn working?
I need it because this is just a keyless entry system, no alarm and it i nice to hear it lock.
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2014 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
jsigna wrote:
The horn. I am using a Viper system and it gives me a negative output.
I found a BLACK/ red wire for the horn put it is always positive until to press the horn and then the circuit breaks.
Any idea how to get the horn working?
Hook your horn output to the BLACK/ red wire. The circuit doesn't break, it grounds out.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic