icon

flcan = ads alca?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shafferny 
Copper - Posts: 240
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2014 at 4:39 AM / IP Logged  
Is the FlashLogic brand just a rebranded iDatalink product? Is an FLCAN the same as an ADS ALCA? From what I can tell both brands are owned by ADS, so I'm thinking the answer is yes.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2014 at 5:26 AM / IP Logged  
Correct, the answer is yes.  ADS iDatalink makes both, along with the Omega OL MDB ALL.  Just remember that the standard Firmware for the ADS AL-CA is the native ADS comm protocol while the default Firmware for the FLCAN is the DBI ( supports DEI ) flavor of comm, for those that choose to go D2D. 
Soldering is fun!
shafferny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2014 at 7:45 AM / IP Logged  
kreg357 wrote:
Correct, the answer is yes.  ADS iDatalink makes both, along with the Omega OL MDB ALL.  Just remember that the standard Firmware for the ADS AL-CA is the native ADS comm protocol while the default Firmware for the FLCAN is the DBI ( supports DEI ) flavor of comm, for those that choose to go D2D. 
Great! Thanks Kreg.
For some reason I always see the FLCAN's slightly cheaper than the ADS AL-CA's. I might go that route on my next install.
shafferny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2014 at 8:00 AM / IP Logged  
Just thinking...if DBI protocol is native to the FLCAN, I wonder if they ship from the factory with an RS232 to DBI data cable, whereas their iDatalink counter parts ship with a RS232 to RS232 data cable.
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2014 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  
Correct again. FLCAN modules get DBI firmware and the red plug DBI D2D harness. ADS modules get ADS firmware and the regular black plug on both ends D2D harness. You can always re-flash with whichever firmware you wish using the ADS USB cable. Just be cautions when buying modules online. If it's old stock, it might not be a 64K module and that will limit which firmware you can use on a particular application. Some applications require 64K modules.
Soldering is fun!
shafferny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2014 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  
OK. I wasn't aware the old modules were limited that way. That's good to know. I always wondered what exactly the difference was.
kreg357 
Posted: August 10, 2014 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  
The old 32K modules have not been manufactured for years but they are out there... Don't think the iDatalink WEB site or the Install guides tell you if you need a 64K module, it just won't show that firmware option when you go to flash the module.
Soldering is fun!
shafferny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2014 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  
I bought a IDL solo unit off eBay and when I got it I found it was over 3 years old. I flashed it and it worked just fine, but it just goes to show you that they're out there. lol
shafferny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2014 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  
What exactly is the 32 bit or 64 bit referring to? Is it the encryption that it's able to decipher? The processor speed of the module? I tried Googling it and I found next to nothing on the topic.
I've also been looking at Blades. Were blade cartridges also produced in both flavors, 32 and 64? Is that something I need to watch out for also?
I'm finding that some websites don't list what version they're selling. They're just advertised as "brand new", but that doesn't mean it hasn't been sitting on a shelf forever.
Thanks for the help!
kreg357 
Posted: August 13, 2014 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  

The 32K or 64K refers to the amount of internal memory the ADS AL-CA module has.  This memory is used to store

the flashed program and then is used to execute programming, and handle the I/O and CAN functions necessary for
the particular flash program and vehicle / remote starter needs.

While iDatalink, Fortin and XpressKit don't go into details about the internals of their bypass module products, you

can basically compare a bypass module to a special purpose micro-controller.  They all have a processor, memory
( RAM and EEPROM ) and I/O circuits ( +/- 12V and CAN ) and controllers. 

For a rather simple comparison, take a look at the BASIC Stamp 2 from a company called Parallax Inc.  Here is a link :

http://www.parallax.com/product/bs2-ic   With the Basic Stamp, you write a executable program that controls its
I/O functions, download ( flash ) to program on to the Stamp and wire it up into the device.  Assuming the code is
correct and stable, it does what you want.  The bypass module is the same, but skilled techs write the program and
you just buy their module, flash the correct program, follow their wiring diagrams and specific vehicle programming
steps.   Depending on how complex the vehicle is and the functions available ( locks, alarms, transponder bypass,
parking light control, door, hood, trunk trigger monitoring, Tach signal generation, brake, EBrake signals, etc ) the
more complex the program and the more memory required.

This is a very rudimentary explanation, but I'm sure you can see the cost of the bypass module is pretty reasonable

when you realize how much electronics design went into the actual bypass module H/W and how much skilled labor goes
into developing the firmware that does all the work.

Soldering is fun!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic