icon

Whelen UHF2150A Wig Wag Headlight Flasher

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
alsstech 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2014 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  

does anyone know if the ford explorer 2010 is positive or negative side switched headlights ?  i am trying to install the whelen uhf 2150a into a police ford explorer and also could use a wiring diagram for the truck lighting system unless someone has done this before and has a few pics would help. My first time putting this in and posting to this site. thanks in advance.

Atlantic Light and Siren Systems

alsstech

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2014 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  
Ever thought of testing?
alsstech 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2014 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  

well i have not tested it because the vehicle is not here yet. Was just trying to get some info since during my searches on this forum i noticed some people already asked similar questions just for different year cars. but thanks for the reply that was totaly unhelpful. so if anyone has some helpful info about the questions i asked thanks in advance.

alsstech

alsstech 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2014 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  
ok here we go try to follow me here.. the police explorer that needs the work done is not here yet so i cant take the 2 min to test it yet. I have checked several forums about the whelen uhf2150a not working in the 2010 and other years properly. some pros have had issues with it causing a false warning about the headlights being blown even tho they are on. so i was just trying to get ahead of any issues anyone else may have came across dealing with this product and model of car. but if you dont have the answers that im looking for then no worries mate.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2014 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  
OK, the issue is where extras are noticed by the CAN system and it throws a DTC. IMO experience replacing incandescent bulbs with LEDs a 10watt 5r ballast resistor in series usually helps.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2014 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  

Newer Ford's have been a problem trying to make the normal Remote Starter connections at the Headlight Switch.

With the Parking Lights, there is a wire that "tests" as a (-) Parking Light wire but when used by the R/S system
ends up damaging the switch itself.  With those installs, I always go to the Smart Junction Box and use the (+)
Parking Light wire.  The only wire guide listing I can find for the Headlights is shown below :

Headlights      BLUE/WHITE (-)      @ HEADLIGHT SWITCH    * See Note 1

Note 1     May need to interrupt BLACK/ BLUE wire at headlight switch when triggering headlights.

This looks like the same issue the (-) Parking Light wire has.  You could wire it up this way, using an extra relay to "open"

the BLACK/ Blue wire when you flash the headlights.  Better yet would be to go to the SJB and search for a (+) Parking
Light wire and use that.  As Howard mentioned, if you have access to Mitchells or AllData, try finding a pin-out of the
SJB plugs, looking for a (+) Headlight wire.

Soldering is fun!
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2014 at 5:37 AM / IP Logged  
It should not matter what polarity is used - the Whelen uhf2150aat handles both, just follow whichever wiring is applicable as per its manual.
And that can be an on the spot decision since no extra polarity dependent parts are required.
Hence as Howie II wrote, test. (When you have the vehicle IMO should have been implicit since nothing changes with uhf2150aat installation other than where the wires go.)
CAN errors only occur if migrating from halogen to HID or halogen or HID to LED in which case parallel ballast resistors are required.
But I doubt that the uhf2150aat will flash LEDs - it seems like a thermal flasher is used though it could be a load independent electronic flasher.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2014 at 5:42 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for spotting my error Peter.
Kreg I believe the unit is "outboard" of the lighting switch and body control module, probably at the heads under the hood.
Think I'd better take a look at it.
alsstech 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2014 at 7:33 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks alot for all the help and info first vehicle that im going to do this uhf2150a in normally we use a different wig wag

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic