remote start viper 554r

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2014 at 8:28 AM / IP Logged  
CB I RETIRED 3 years ago next month.
Except there are no people qualified (or in fact about 5) in the UK to do this work, from what I see on the forum there's NO ONE between here and Israel qualified.
That's why I had to schlep 400 miles return to Manchester on Friday and next Thursday 200 to Birmingham to do a Supra.
Are you saying no diodes on the relays?
If so I bet the output driver transistor is blown.
Kreg, 3-0 up at half time, feeling better.
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2014 at 10:21 AM / IP Logged  
You don't sound very retired, actually I think I'm more retired than you.
I've had this 554T for over 10 years (countless number of remote starts and pit-stop takeovers) and she still works great. The only thing showing it's age is the two-way remote. It works but the display has some issues.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2014 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  
Fine agreed now go and answer that 2010 Hyundai Elantra thread, I'm having doubts about his ability to make 6 connections.
catback 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2014 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
Fine agreed now go and answer that 2010 Hyundai Elantra thread, I'm having doubts about his ability to make 6 connections.
Can't, I'm retired remote start viper 554r - Page 3 -- posted image.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2014 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  
I'm also but on a high 'cause of today's football, top of the Premiership (for about 2 days).
mike leiter 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2014 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged  
Since you have the relay pack in hand the tests to do would be:
1. With ribbon cable disconnected from alarm module, check voltage on both red power feeds to the relay pack.
2. Check voltage on the large pink (2) wires going from the relay pack to the ignition. Do this by cycling the key on and then off. With the key on these wires should show 12v IF connected and show no volts with the key off.
3. With ribbon cable connected, initiate a remote start. You should feel the relays click on.
4. Manually activate the ignition relays and check voltage on the pink wires and check against the vehicle's ignition powering up.
1-yes have 12v to each
2-Ignition on 12v and ignition off 0
Got to three and click..click...All this checking stuff has actually run down the battery with hood and doors open.
I have the battery on a charger now and will check the rest as soon as I have battery power again.
Side note: I have had this truck since new around 12/99. I only have 86,000 on it and it still honestly looks new inside and out as I only use it for towing the toys once in awhile. Remote start was installed in 2003 and has been flawless until that one day. I used it to remote start going to work and when I went to leave it just cranked engine over its 3 cycles but never started. Like mentioned if I put key in the ignition and put in Run position it will RS with engine firing but this is the only way it will now. All other ways the engine just cranks and turns over for 3 cycles without firing up and then RS shuts down.
I really appreciate all the help guys on this. Just hope its not a bad box and will have to remove it all to install a new system. I also have a ARE cover in the back with GB detector back there wired in watching the contents in alarm activation.
mike leiter 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2014 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  
87 and 86 on the relays should show 12V+ constant.
85 should show NEG (-) on the pink and pink white thin wires until R/S is activated, then the thin purple should show NEG to activate start.
Thin Orange should show NEG when running.
The starter cut relay will have a 12V+ on 86 when ignition key is turned and a 12V+ constant at 87.
Yes on first
Yes on second
Yes on third
Yes on 4th.
The small yellow wire from the ribbon cable is also on 87a not 87 and I`m sorry I mistyped that.
3. With ribbon cable connected, initiate a remote start. You should feel the relays click on.
4. Manually activate the ignition relays and check voltage on the pink wires and check against the vehicle's ignition powering up.
3: All the relays click on RS start EXCEPT for the single one by itself and the one with the small yellow wire from ribbon cable. I swapped another new relay and still no click on that one with RS or not.
4-Not sure exactly how you mean to do this? The pink wires are reading the 12v with key turned but not when key is off as tested before. How should I manually engage them?
catback 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2014 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  
The one with the small yellow is an important one, it's primary ignition.
To test manually, with an incandescent test light or test jumper. Connect one end of the tester to ground and apply the other end to the small pink wire at the relay. The relay should click on, if it does then the issue is with the alarm module or the wiring (small pink) between the module and the relay pack.
mike leiter 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2014 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  
Well this isn't good then. Took a solid jumper wire and attached to ground. Touched the other end to the small pink wire and solenoid clicked. Something else in engine compartment also clicked but not sure from where.
I`ll see if the wiring got nicked, chaffed or etc but its all been nicely placed in loom so will have to strip that all off to check.
I really appreciate the help.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2014 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  

That "other click" when you applied ground to the small Pink wire was something turning on because you just energized the relay and applied power to the trucks main Ignition wire.

Hey C.B., does the Viper 554R have any extra (-) Ignition outputs?  I'm guessing that GWR is used for the bypass module if the 554R doesn't have a DBI D2D port...  but maybe doing a diode split on GWR could compensate for a bad (-) 200mA Ignition output.  remote start viper 554r - Page 3 -- posted image.

Soldering is fun!
Page of 10

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic