icon

remote start viper 554r

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2014 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged  
You have an issue with the 555f, make sure the blue wire from the 554R is grounding when you activate the remote start. Make power and grounds are good at the 555f, also check on the donor key ensure its properly seated. In other words check out the whole 555f setup.
catback 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2014 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  
weird that the truck won't start with the key inserted but not turned via remote start
mike leiter 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2014 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  
catback wrote:
You have an issue with the 555f, make sure the blue wire from the 554R is grounding when you activate the remote start. Make power and grounds are good at the 555f, also check on the donor key ensure its properly seated. In other words check out the whole 555f setup.
Will check that and the pats wiring. The truck never used a donor key with the setup an this pats bypass?
catback wrote:
weird that the truck won't start with the key inserted but not turned via remote start
Not sure what you mean on this?
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2014 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  

The DEI 555F bypass module has a transponder chip that is programmed like an additional transponder key during

the original remote starter install.  Then the 555F's chip is secured to the vehicles transponder antenna ring.

Being as you have learned your system and wiring so well, why not spend $80 and get a replacement  unit.  The new

system will give you two new remotes and a nice neat package with internal relays.

If the 555F is still working you can re-use that.  Here is a simple test.  Buy a plain metal ignition key at the local

hardware store for $1.99.  Make sure the 555F has +12V on it's Red wire and jumper the Blue wire to chassis ground. 
Then try a key start with your new plain key.  If it starts and runs, the 555F is working fine.

Soldering is fun!
catback 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2014 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  
mike leiter wrote:
Will check that and the pats wiring. The truck never used a donor key with the setup an this pats bypass?
Not sure what you mean on this?
Nevermind, I'm thinking of something else.
What I meant is insert the key but don't turn it to the run position leave it "off" or "lock" and then activate the remote start.
Kreg, what are you thoughts on the cause of the no start problem? Couldn't he not just wrap the key in tin foil rather than pay to have a "test" key cut.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2014 at 5:31 AM / IP Logged  

The key wrap test using aluminum foil will work if and only if the key head is completely wrapped with multiple layers of foil, so there is no chance of the keys' transponder chip being seen by the truck.  You will have to test first by trying to start the truck a few times with the wrapped key to insure it won't start*** prior to the next test of manually turning on the 555F via a ground to it's Blue wire. 

*** To prevent problems, always start the truck with an unwrapped key in between failed, wrapped key, test starts.  This will clear any "transponder" issues the truck sees so it won't get upset about multiple failed attempts in a row and possibly lock you out.

Here is a link to the 555F install guide :  http://www.xpresskit.com/DocumentDownload.aspx?documentid=4731&productid=34&firmwareid=1511

CatBack :  Not sure what the issue is with a R/S.  Looks like using the (-)3rd IGN instead of the thin Pink wire fixed the missing Ignition problem, now that PitStop mode works.  The plain key or foil wrap test will verify the 555F.  Like I said, being as the system is old and the remotes are worn a bit, at this point I would go for a upgrade.  The 554R has problems and all those external relays...  A new system would only require 2 external relays ( one for ACC2 and one for Starter Kill ).  Sometimes, troubleshooting things remotely is frustrating, when you know that in person with a DMM in hand, you could isolate a problem in a half hour or so. 

Not sure what Viper product is functionally similar to the 554R but if the price is reasonable and you're going to keep the truck for a few more years, why not get rid of a system that has issues?  ( I'm probably a bit lazy and I do like new things.  Comes down to the old saying about "beating a dead horse". )

Soldering is fun!
catback 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2014 at 8:53 AM / IP Logged  
Kreg, I agree. Remote diagnostics through an internet forum is painful. Maybe tele-diagnostics through skype or other video conferencing method is the way to go. remote start viper 554r - Page 7 -- posted image.
Any remote start/alarm combo would be an upgrade but everything would have to be rewired, wire by wire. One thing you can't get on newer viper units is AED (Automatic Engine Disable). It's kind of like passive arming but just for the starter kill. I love it because my 554T is installed on my pickup truck and when loading and unloading or working out of it I don't want the alarm to arm passively but I would like it to have some protection.
catback 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2014 at 8:57 AM / IP Logged  
For mike or whomever needs it if you google "554r manual" you'll get the installation guide for the 554r. It's a top search result and comes straight from directed.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2014 at 8:59 AM / IP Logged  
Can I ask one question of Mike?
Remove key from vehicle, does it start?
Insert key, now does it start?
If no to the first and yes to the second it's the immobiliser bypass.
If no to both it's relay 4 though all should be checked back from the output.
That simple.
Bloody hell 7 effing pages and the OP hasn't done any real diagnostic testing.
catback 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2014 at 9:22 AM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
Bloody hell 7 effing pages and the OP hasn't done any real diagnostic testing.
Maybe if you skype with him things would move faster...Look on the bright side things are progressing faster than if we were communicating via snail mail. remote start viper 554r - Page 7 -- posted image.
Personally, I'm questioning the blue status output (not sure if I already said that).
Page of 10

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic