icon

remote start while running

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
joejob 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2014 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, 1st time posting here, been getting good info from here for years.
I just installed a Viper smartstart vss300 in my 2014 Tacoma. I had a valet 561R that I installed in my 06 tacoma when it was new, so it had been a while. I was able to remote start the truck while it was running, wait for the relay clicks, then pull the key and leave it running. When I try to do that in the new truck, the RPMs drop like it's trying to crank. I actually did this yesterday, and the truck shut down and the check engine light was on for a bit, but shut off. The only difference in wiring between the 2 units is the old truck had 2 relays for the 2nd starter, and the purple wire from the RS was used to trigger the relays as well as the 12v signal to both starter wires (it worked for a while, but started having issues about a year ago, would not start remotely, but would with the key). I wired the new one with one relay, using the 200ma starter wire. Could this be causing an issue when I remote start when running?
I'm also having an issue with the smartstart app. The app always starts/stops the struck and locks/unlocks the doors, but I always get the "command received but unable to execute, and the status never displays that the truck is running (I made sure to refresh). I've got an email out to DEI about it, but they're slow to get back. Any info on either of the 2 issues would be great.
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2014 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  
Not familiar with a VSS300 but at what point is the engine dying during the pit-stop? When the key is turned off? Or when the key is pulled out?
joejob 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2014 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply. It happens when I remote start, not when I pull the key. It only died once, but I was concerned when the check engine light came on. It usually drops rpms, then I can pull the key and it stays running
racerjames76 
Silver - Posts: 581
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2014 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  
I may be wrong but I THINK tach wire has to be hooked up and programmed for pit stop mode to work.
To master and control electricity is perfection. *evil laugh*
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2014 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
It does.
joejob 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2014 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  
Ah, so I may have the wrong tach wire. I grabbed it from the ODB2 port. How do I meter this?
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2014 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  
Cheapest way is with a DMM that reads 0-10 volts AC. The voltage reading will change with RPM.
joejob 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2014 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  
I'll give it a go. This might actually be the answer to both problems.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2014 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  
Should be at OBD pin 9, but you still have to program it.
joejob 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2014 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  
I did program the RS to use tach sensing instead of voltage sensing, is there something else that needs to be programmed as well?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic