Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nat28 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2014 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  
oldspark wrote:
Fear not Nat, you are not alone.
But for now, forget all those "complex" wirings. As Howard said, you flip a switch which provides (say) 12V to the coil hence magnetising it and pulling the "swinging contact" 30 to 87. Yes, it's an electro-magnetic switch.
And tho Howard says "ignore the 123s" etc, the new micro-DIN relays use 1-5 (eg 1 & 2 are coil; generally 1 = +ve = 86; 2 = -ve = 85) and other relays can use whatever.
I hate the physical digramatic depiction of relays. I prefer the line or circuit diagrams, eg:
(Try to ignore the diodes, and the notes. I'm merely using a pair of my easy to find pics. FYI - they are for pumping water etc out of a bilge or sump, or to keep a tank topped up.)
(And oops - the top diagram does not include the OFF switch shown in the lower diagram.)    
stuck on relay for horn - Page 3 - Last Post -- posted image.
... as opposed to ...
stuck on relay for horn - Page 3 - Last Post -- posted image.
Tho the top "circuit" diagram is not that clear, IMO that or similar are easier to follow because you see the contacts, and coil, and how they connect.
I NEVER used relay pin/terminal numbers in diagrams since I did not want to limit to DIN relays (Bosch, Hella etc using pins 30, 87, 86, 85 etc).
In fact I never learned those labels until I started on the12volt. (And even that was after a few years after deciding it was easier memorising them than forever looking them up.)
But because (almost?) all DIN relays have a diagram with pin numbers on them, I found it easy using them in practice despite unlabelled circuit diagram pin numbers.   
And if I used my normal JIDEC (Jap) or other relays, I never had to convert pin mumbers on "wiring diagrams" (as per the lower diagram above). Of course I'd have to know the relay's "circuit" relationship to its pin numbers, but they too usually had a schematic or diagram on their body; otherwise I'd have to look at their datasheets etc.
IMO the wiring or "physical" diagrams are good for those that simply want to wire & build. But if you want to understand or fault find, or be able to use different relays, then IMO circuit diagrams are essential.
And now I've probably confused you even more...
But I now use micro-DIN relays instead of the mini-DIN relays (aka cube type as used on the12volt) so translating 30 & 87 etc is a bit of a pain.
Having both styles of diagrams helps! Thanks for the explanation. If only there would be one universal labeling standard!
2013 Subaru Outback Limited
2005 Toyota Sequoia
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2014 at 8:50 AM / IP Logged  
There is ISO/DIN, Google it.
But first read this and the relay section above:- http://www.bcae1.com/relays.htm
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2014 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  
Ah - the beauty of Standards...
... there are so many to chose from!
(Same for RFCs.)
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2014 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  
The ISO/DIN standard nomenclature is the only WORLD recognised standard for the Automobile industry.
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic