icon

add alarm to 2012 impala lt

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tdf1974 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2014 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 2012 Impala LT, equipped with factory remote start, but no factory alarm. I just want to add a decent alarm with features like shock sensing and glass breakage, and preferably keep using the factory keyfobs. I've looked at several setups, and the more I research it seems the more confused I get as to what I actually need. I emailed directed and was told the DBALL2-Pro is what I need, and I'm assuming they meant in standalone mode. (I'm guessing I could also pair that with an aftermarket alarm wired D2D and gain range and 2 way paging later if I want to) The Fortin EVO-ALL also looks like a comparable option, and I also noticed Directed makes a standalone 3902-T CANbus alarm, but I have no clue if it would be aware of my factory remote start. I'm trying to keep this as low budget as I can for now. Does anyone have any insight, or good options I may have overlooked?
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 04, 2014 at 7:50 AM / IP Logged  
Audiovox PRO-9233N (great product, but horrible installation instructions that require a lot of patience)
Automate AM1 (intended to be sold to car-dealer expeditors; might be a little hard to find for consumer purchase)
Both of those models come with door-open sensing, a shock sensor, a horn-honk output, starter kill, and are armed/disarmed by connecting to the wires that power the car's existing power doorlock actuators.
I haven't tried a DBALL2Pro.
The EVO-ALL is the opposite of what you want; it adds remote starter to the factory remote, but your Impala already has that.
-------------------------
You said you want t add a pager later? That complicates things a little.
PRO-9233N can be connected to Audiovox CarLink (I'm pretty sure.) It should text your phone if someone breaks into the car, but the part is expensive ($200-is) and $89/year service plan.
You could get a basic, 2-way pager alarm, but you'll need to ONLY use that remote to lock/unlock the car, and still carry your OEM remote for remote starting.
Third option is to just pretend like you don't even have an OEM remote starter, and just install a complete, 2-way alarm/starter combo. PROS: Longer remote-start range and runtime, everything on one simple remote. CONS: You'll lose the cool features the OEM remote start has, like automatically controlling heat/ac, and keeping the radio silent........aftermarket remote start will leave the climate controls the way they were when you last parked, and the radio will come on during remote start.
tdf1974 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2014 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  
My only concern with the analog wired alarms tat arm/disarm off the factory solenoids is the remote start triggering the alarm. My factory RS sequence is to press the lock button, release it, then hold the start button on the remote for 3 seconds.
Satkunas 
Copper - Posts: 97
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2014 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  
Chris Luongo wrote:
The EVO-ALL is the opposite of what you want; it adds remote starter to the factory remote, but your Impala already has that.
Chris, the EVO-ALL will either add a remote car starter, or an alarm system, or both. It's customizable in the FLU/FLM menu.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2014 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  
You would be better to install a remote starter/alarm system combo unit. There is no way to utilize the factory remote starter with an aftermarket alarm installed. Activating the factory remote starter will trigger the aftermarket alarm's sensors and trip the alarm. You will get better range and features using a combo unit.
sparky
tdf1974 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2014 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  
I assumed a canbus connected solution would be able to detect a factory remote start initiation and disarm the alarm, but it seems that's not the case. Maybe the easiest solution for now is using 2 remotes, I could disarm the alarm then remote start. It would be awesome if there was a remote that could learn the functions of both the alarm and oe remotes like a universal tv remote!
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2014 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  
Check your car again for a content factory alarm. Sit inside the car and use the remote to lock the doors. Wait one minute then unlock the door manually by moving the door lock lever. Open the door and see if it triggers an alarm. If it has one, you can get creative and add a sensor to interface with the alarm.
sparky
tdf1974 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2014 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Sparkie, I'll try that tomorrow. I locked the door and immediately opened it, wasn't aware I had to wait a minute for it to arm.
tdf1974 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2014 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  
Ok I just had a ridiculous "think outside the box" idea, I wonder if I could add an aftermarket alarm, and hardwire the remote start output to trigger an additional oem keyfob hidden in the car. I could solder into the button pad circuits on the keyfob, and the biggest challenge would be figuring out a way to momentarily close the lock button circuit, then close and hold the start button circuit for 4 seconds. If I could pull it off I could have an awesome 2 way paging alarm system that remote starts via the oem radio signal thus retaining all of the conveniences of the OEM remote start (automatic selection of proper climate control mode, rear defogger, and no radio blaring) and also have the 1 mile range and 2 way paging of an aftermarket alarm. The only aggravation would be periodically changing the hidden remote battery but I'm sure if I get that far I can easily drop the 12 volts to 3 volt and hardwire that part as well.
tdf1974 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2014 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  
I am really thinking my crazy idea is achievable. The fob will be a piece of cake to solder wires onto, and I think I can setup a couple of time delay relays or even a small microprocessor to cover the button sequence/timing. I'll wire it up so the "Start" output of the remote start which normally spins the starter will simply activate my custom interface. I'll have to hookup the tach wire so the RS detects the engine has started, and also figure a way to make a remote shutdown happen through the oem fob. If anyone can think of a reason this is a bad idea or will not work please speak up, as I may have overlooked something in my excitement!     add alarm to 2012 impala lt -- posted image.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic