icon

integrating door poppers and alarm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
seattle_ice 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2014 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  
I just want to know if there is a typical way that the following products are used together:
Keyless Entry system:
http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AEOS&Product_Code=POP-R2
And any typical car alarm.
Would you use the car alarm outputs to drive everything and not use the remote/module from the keyles entry system? Can you use the keyless entry system to arm/disarm the alarm?
I am pretty good with wiring and such, but don't know a lot about the capabilities of keyless entry and alarm products.
Custom_Jim 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2014 at 4:32 PM / IP Logged  
I would wire the door poppers (through relays and seperate fusing) to the alarm but use the aux channels to activate the door poppers. You can then arm and disarm the alarm and then by using aux channel 1, have just the driver's door pop open and then aux channel 2 to pop open the passenger door. Some alarms also have a third output to where if you have an electric trunk release, this too can be wired in.
If you are shaving the outside door handles, keep the interior mechanical handles intact and working and also add an exterior mechanical cable to trip open each door should either popper fail.
I would also do seperate fusing on each popper to where if one has a problem and blows a fuse, the other should still work. I would also disable any interior door lock mechanism to where if you didn't and the door got locked, you could not have the door poppers open the doors.
Jim
1968 Chevy II Nova Garage Find 2012
1973 Nova Custom
1974 Spirit of America Nova
1973 Nova Pro-Street
seattle_ice 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2014 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  
I don't like the idea of having exterior mechanical access to open the doors.
I think the odds of having both door solenoids fail and being unable to get in the car would be pretty low. I could put them on circuit breakers instead of fuses. And if the battery goes dead, it is in the trunk, which has keyed access so you could charge/jump the battery.
Custom_Jim 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2014 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  
I'm not saying have them to where they are easily seen like a regular outside handle but put them in an inconspicuous location like inside a wheel well, behind the grill, behind a bumper, or wherever to where the normal tom, dick, and harry won't easily find it. They don't have to be on a handle but could also be a small loop of the wire that one finger can fit into so you can give it a pull. It's up to the individual what they want to do. You could get real creative and make it to where an outside piece of trim has to be lifted and this connected to the cable then pops the one door open.
Circuit breakers are a good thing but if they are the automatic reset types and there is a short and you are not around for a long time, the battery will get drained. The auto reset ones will see a short then disconnect and then after they cool, try connecting again then disconnect but this process will go on and on until there is no more battery power. A fuse on the other hand will blow and then you have to replace it. Again, it's all what you want to do and how to do it.
I have no idea what your install skills are at but I've seen some real horror installs out there and I'm just saying make it safe and reliable and have a backup.
You might also clean and relube the latches so you get good reliability with the install. If you design things right you should also not need those optional big 45 pound force solenoids.
Jim
1968 Chevy II Nova Garage Find 2012
1973 Nova Custom
1974 Spirit of America Nova
1973 Nova Pro-Street

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic