icon

setting gains

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
leigh.white 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2014 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  
Using a multimeter to set gains, knowing what volts ac I want as i dont have an oscope, do I use 0db or a -dB test tone once my head unit is set at 0db 40hz for my subwoofer?
Thanks.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2014 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  
Your ears are better at detecting clipping and distortion. A typical DMM won't - that's why oscopes are used.
The DMM is only good if you know what voltage to set to, or have circuitry to isolate distortion & clipping.
leigh.white 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2014 at 1:26 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, I see what you mean, I was trying to make sure I didn't over power the sub as my amp is 500watts rms and my sub is 400w rms.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2014 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  
id say that difference between sub and amp power, 100w, is minimal. but with one catch, as long as your sub is decent quality. RMS basically means average power which means that you sub can usually take much more power than its rms rating but it just wont take it all of the time. i always set my gains by ear but it might take some tweaking later on if you end playing different music from what you used to set it, you might end up hearing something that you didnt hear when you set the gain originally.
if im setting a gain for a customer then i usually under set it by maybe 15% to 20% if they plan on using their own box or a prefab box that i dont know the specs. if i personally built the box then ill set it at the best level to make most music sound its best.
leigh.white 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2014 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  
It's a vibe a4 amp and a vibe slick slr 12 inch in an enclosed box, I'm no expert but I wouldn't say it's bottom of the line but it sure isn't the best of quality I don't think? Does anyone use the dd1 from Steve meade ? I have tried setting mine by ear but never done it before so not 100percent if I'm hearing the distortion with a test tone cd
leigh.white 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2014 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  
Think I got that wrong, it's a non ported box.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2014 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
distortion from a sub woofer is pretty easy to hear if you are listening to it directly, meaning you are pretty much right next to it. it is harder to hear if you are inside a car and the sub is in a trunk for example. if you are using a test tone then you will hear a noticeable shift from clean bass to distorted bass.
my process that i use is basically to turn up your system to the max listening volume that you would normally listen to it, you should never set your gains by ear using a low volume because you will always end up clipping when you turn it up to a loud listening volume.
if you insist on using test tones to set the bass then i would opt for a 40Hz tone because a sub is more likely to distort on lower notes and also the amp will tend to deliver more power to the sub at lower notes than higher ones. using a low tone to set your bass will protect your sub better when you switch to actual music especially if you listen to a lot of bass heavy music.
like i said before, you should hear a noticeable difference in sound when the sub woofer starts to struggle to handle the power. and it isnt always about just power, the mechanical properties of the sub and the design of the box come into play. if the box is too large then your distortion point will usually be at a lower volume than if the box design is just right. this is why setting your gains by multimeter isnt that accurate overall.
so as you listen, turn the gains up slowly until the sound starts to change from a clean note to a distorted note. once you hit that point then id back off until you get back to a clean note then maybe just a touch further to give yourself some head room.
also it would be a good idea to turn the bass up on the head unit too. that way you can use the radio's settings to fine tune your sound in the listening position without the risk of hurting your sub by turning the bass up on the radio. this is a useful technique to basically idiot-proof your system against other people that might drive the car. i cant tell you how many times ive heard the story of somebody loaning their car out to a friend or family member only to get it back with blown speakers or subs because they played with the radio settings.
leigh.white 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2014 at 1:27 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for your advice, I shall give a good go then. :-)
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2014 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=85479
Support the12volt.com
leigh.white 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2014 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic