icon

any advice on good 4 ch amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
flm09 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2014 at 12:24 AM / IP Logged  
Cool! Can I message you to see if I can get amp through your store?
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2014 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
i dont have a store anymore, even if i did i never sold alpine products. what made you think i had a store? im just curious unless you you went back and looked at some of my old posts i cant see how you would have known that
flm09 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2014 at 1:15 AM / IP Logged  
Oh ok! I went on Amazon.com & saw a seller that has Alpine products. The seller was: Sound n Security. So I thought It might be you!
Btw would you get a PDX-F6 or PDX-F4 & MRV-500? The one amp would be an easier install.
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2014 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  
haha ok, yea that amazon seller is not me... thanks for clearing that up because i was more than a little confused.
im not understanding the way you listed your options man, both the pdx amps are 4 channel amps so how would either way be an easier install? either way you still need two amps, one for the highs and one for the bass. the difference between the F4 and F6 is just the power output, otherwise they are the same.
flm09 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2014 at 12:10 AM / IP Logged  
soundnsecurity wrote:
haha ok, yea that amazon seller is not me... thanks for clearing that up because i was more than a little confused.
im not understanding the way you listed your options man, both the pdx amps are 4 channel amps so how would either way be an easier install? either way you still need two amps, one for the highs and one for the bass. the difference between the F4 and F6 is just the power output, otherwise they are the same.
I thought pdx f6 can be bridged to 3 ch. anyways whats better a 4 & 2 ch amp or one good 3 ch amp & let deck power drive the rear door speakers. Will use onevsealedc10 inch kicker comprt sub.
soundnsecurity 
Posted: September 26, 2014 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  
oh ok, i was thinking you needed 4 channels plus bass. really both the PDX F4 and F6 can be used as a 3 channel as long as the power output is enough.
to be perfectly honest, if you planned on running your back door speakers off of the deck and run the front off of an amp then you might as well not have back speakers at all because you wont perceive the back speakers over the much louder front speakers. personally i could care less whether i run back speakers at all. the last two cars ive had i disconnected them and just concentrated all of my effort up front and it always sounds awesome if you do it the right way. people put so much emphasis on back speakers but they really are not helpful to anyone listening in the front seat. i tend to not waste money trying to power or upgrade back speakers that only serve to drag down the sound quality of the front speakers.
so i guess the moral of this story is if you arent going to amp all speakers then dont even run the speakers that will not be on an amp. and to answer your question, it would be better to have a 4 channel and a separate bass amp. but if you want to scrap the back speakers after hearing what i just said then a single 3/4 channel amp will do you just fine.
flm09 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2014 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged  
soundnsecurity wrote:
oh ok, i was thinking you needed 4 channels plus bass. really both the PDX F4 and F6 can be used as a 3 channel as long as the power output is enough.
to be perfectly honest, if you planned on running your back door speakers off of the deck and run the front off of an amp then you might as well not have back speakers at all because you wont perceive the back speakers over the much louder front speakers. personally i could care less whether i run back speakers at all. the last two cars ive had i disconnected them and just concentrated all of my effort up front and it always sounds awesome if you do it the right way. people put so much emphasis on back speakers but they really are not helpful to anyone listening in the front seat. i tend to not waste money trying to power or upgrade back speakers that only serve to drag down the sound quality of the front speakers.
so i guess the moral of this story is if you arent going to amp all speakers then dont even run the speakers that will not be on an amp. and to answer your question, it would be better to have a 4 channel and a separate bass amp. but if you want to scrap the back speakers after hearing what i just said then a single 3/4 channel amp will do you just fine.
Yeah I might not run the back then. I was worried it would sound weird with no back fill. But you got a point that the quality of the woofers won't be the same as the front & maybe actually colour the sound with deck power & even amp power. Btw do you know what the amp 3rd channel gets in 2 ohms with the F 4 & F 6?
soundnsecurity 
Posted: September 26, 2014 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
PDX amps maintain the same power in either a 4 ohm or 2 ohm load so their bridged power for the 3rd channel should be 200 watts for the F4 and 300 watts for the F6. but the typical rules still apply i think that the lowest ohm load you can run safely on any two channels bridged is 4 ohms. so your subs cant be below 4 ohms total to be ran on the bridged 3rd channel.
i dont know if you might be confused on how amps work but ill just go ahead and explain anyway that using a 4 channel amp like it is two separate amps is not like having a single 2 channel amp and a single mono bass amp. mono amps are designed a little different so that they will run safely down to 1 ohm or less and your usual multi channel amp wont run lower that 2 ohms per channel, also referred to as stereo, or 4 ohms bridged(mono).
so if you already have your subs then you need to take that into consideration that the ohm rating of the subs might make you not be able to get the maximum power from the amp. does that make sense to you or should i give you an example?
flm09 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2014 at 1:10 AM / IP Logged  
soundnsecurity wrote:
PDX amps maintain the same power in either a 4 ohm or 2 ohm load so their bridged power for the 3rd channel should be 200 watts for the F4 and 300 watts for the F6. but the typical rules still apply i think that the lowest ohm load you can run safely on any two channels bridged is 4 ohms. so your subs cant be below 4 ohms total to be ran on the bridged 3rd channel.
i dont know if you might be confused on how amps work but ill just go ahead and explain anyway that using a 4 channel amp like it is two separate amps is not like having a single 2 channel amp and a single mono bass amp. mono amps are designed a little different so that they will run safely down to 1 ohm or less and your usual multi channel amp wont run lower that 2 ohms per channel, also referred to as stereo, or 4 ohms bridged(mono).
so if you already have your subs then you need to take that into consideration that the ohm rating of the subs might make you not be able to get the maximum power from the amp. does that make sense to you or should i give you an example?
Ok I hear yah! I might need separate sub amp then as my kicker compRT 10 inch sub is 2 ohms nominal. What do you recommend that is around 300wX1? Maybe MRV-M500!
flm09 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2014 at 1:15 AM / IP Logged  
I just read pdx spec sheet it seems that bridged for sub it could be 300w into 4 or 2 ohms. Or am I wrong?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic