icon

adding a switch to aftermarket door locks

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
efx26 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2014 at 12:02 AM / IP Logged  
Hi guys. Today I wanted to add a switch to the aftermarket door locks. The relays are built into the unit, so I was wondering if I could get some help on this and how it should be wired correctly. Unfortunately I ended up frying internal relay so now I don't even have any automatic door locks. Fortunately the rest of the system seems to work, but here's the diagram of what the system is and how the door locks are wired.
I first basically wired the center spade to ground and tested the other two ends directly to the door lock green and blue. Got nothing. I then noticed the purple wired fuse and cut the ground connector and placed this wire to the fuse on the purple wire and tested the other two wires the same all with the ignition on since that's when they seem to work which is fine as I want the switch to only work with the key in. Needless to say the second try was not a smart one and it burned the internal relay. I think I was upside down too long and didn't realize I was on the wrong side of the fuse I guess. So I at least want to get the wires correct if possible. I did take out the brain and saw the trace burned out on the back of the board. I have some of that tape to repair it which I did, but it looks like the relay smoked as I did smell that nice burning smell too. The relay is a small squared soldered type so I didn't bother taking it out since I don't have a replacement anyway.
adding a switch to aftermarket door locks -- posted image.
efx26 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2014 at 12:08 AM / IP Logged  
Here's another picture. I hope you can see this one better if not I can try and upload the individual pictures. I just noticed I can't edit my previous post.
efx26 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2014 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  
Okay here's my third try...the switch is a mini spdt miniature momentary switch.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2014 at 1:50 AM / IP Logged  
No, not with that 3 pin switch unless you add two relays.
See the relay section here for 5 wire locks.
efx26 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2014 at 3:06 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks. I thought I could. I remember installing a simple switch to an old alarm that was similar to this one but I can't remember if it had external relays or not. I just remember it being very simple, but that was years ago, so I thought I just stick this one there too. LOL. Well I sure did because now I can try and find the internal square relays, set up two external relays and set the switch and maybe set the second channel output to open the doors or get a new alarm. This is an AM alarm so I was kind of looking at the FM pager alarms, but I have to go find some reviews I guess. For now I may try to just find some S1142 relays and try to replace those. Here the damage...so be very careful out there when you plug things in or you can damage the actual brain, or part of it in my case. So this is also a reason that I will now be looking at more affordable alarms that I can install myself. I have no problem doing it, but sometimes a brain fart can set you back a bit.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2014 at 4:03 AM / IP Logged  
Don't waste your or my time. Probably easier to get an alarm with TWO lock wires then add relays or a DEI 451 and wire your switches to the lock outputs.
With ANY relay driven lock outputs, I.e. The unit has 6 lock wires, your switch is incompatible without external relays.
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2014 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  
Or you can pick up a DEI 451m wire it to your aftermarket locks and then connect your switch(s) and alarm to it.
Anyone good with a soldering iron can fix that trace.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2014 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  
About 2 minutes on the trace.
The board looks old school (no surface mount) but decent quality.
efx26 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2014 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks. Sorry, not trying to waste anybody's time. I just wanted to post so hopefully others can also learn not to do what I did.
efx26 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2014 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  
I just went an look that up and doesn't look too bad. I have a soldering station so that's not a problem. I also have a small roll of copper tracing I got a while back and so the trace fix was easy to do. Thanks for the info guys.
Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic