icon

adding a switch to aftermarket door locks

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
efx26 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2014 at 2:15 AM / IP Logged  
Do you have any pictures of the diodes installed, I don't want to butcher the cables. I'm just trying to picture that on the wires and well it's not looking good in my mind at the moment, but it's midnight here too.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2014 at 2:18 AM / IP Logged  
1N4004, the most commonly available see the diode and relay sections.
Just solder across the blue and black wires.
efx26 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2014 at 2:21 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks, unfortunately I don't have any of those. I guess I'll go look around. I just ordered what I need today so I have to wait for like a week or whenever all that gets to me.
howie ll wrote:
1N4004, the most commonly available see the diode and relay sections.
Just solder across the blue and black wires.
efx26 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2014 at 11:11 PM / IP Logged  
I got my relays today, still waiting for the diodes so I put this together to check with you guys here. So this is the diagram I will be working with now. Does the switch look right on it?
adding a switch to aftermarket door locks - Page 3 -- posted image.
efx26 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2014 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  
I guess I can test the switch tomorrow since I am setting this up on the desk...so far they seem to work fine.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2014 at 1:31 AM / IP Logged  
No your diagram is wrong, centre tap on switch should go to ground, i.e. make the red black also 86 and 87 should be common live your diagram doesn't show that.
efx26 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2014 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  
Oh, that diagram is from the alarm. I didn't draw that door lock diagram. I was just following the relay numbers from it to make the connections. The center wire is red on these sockets, and since I followed those relay numbers they ended up being the negative. The 86 is the red line coming from the alarm, and the 87, yes those are positive (yellow wires)as they are wired. I added colors to their diagram.adding a switch to aftermarket door locks - Page 3 -- posted image.
efx26 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2014 at 11:58 PM / IP Logged  
I just realized I need to add a third relay for the passenger door function. I don't want that door to open unless I hit the button twice. The alarm has this option as well and for security and to make sure the passenger door is not unlocked unless I need it. I need to figure out hot to connect that to these two relays.
efx26 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2014 at 4:10 AM / IP Logged  
Okay I have been staring at this and added the third relay to the original diagram. I think this is how this feature works on this alarm. Now I just need to figure out where to stick that switch as it changed quite a bit with the third relay...I guess I will swap the blue and red wires so the grounds are black instead of red. In short I'm just looking at the relay numbers to match them to the alarm diagram. It's nice to have the color coding but that really won't matter as long as the connections are correct I believe. Feel free to make any corrections. I think it's past my bed time so I'll sleep on this for now.adding a switch to aftermarket door locks - Page 3 -- posted image.
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2014 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  
Clever and nicely drawn but problematic as you have noticed.
The way most installers go about this is 5 wiring a relay on the drivers unlock motor.
So go back to your original 2-relay setup but change the unlock wire from the blue to the blue/white. Then take your blue to the relay you'll add on the drivers unlock motor wire. The system rests at ground all around and the relay when triggered will isolate/break the driver and passenger door as well as send the +12v needed to unlock just the driver door.
Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic