Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2014 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  
No
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2014 at 12:54 PM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
Yes quite right find the processor or lock control unit.
On basic el cheapo aka old school power lock setups, processors and control units are non-existent. You just have to be through, and determine actual ground, from what looks like ground, from what actually goes towards the motor. Essentially, knowing the system while testing the system, and verifying you are where you think you are in the system.
It gets more interesting when your not working in the door but somewhere in the cab. You find your wires and cut them, one side goes into the door the other somewhere else. The lock motor is in the door so is that the lock motor side? But then again the switch is in the door as well, so where does it go?
See what I mean, for the uninitiated it's either confusing or very easy to make the wrong conclusion.
Back when I first came up against 5-wire systems it was an aftermarket spal power window conversion. If came with instructions but trying to learn the logic of how the 6-pin illuminated switch worked took some time before I fully understood it with ease. Namely my mind was boggled at how the lamp inside lit up with only a power connection to the vehicle's dimmer/dash illumination without a dedicated ground at the switch, only pins that could switch in and out of ground and power.
catback 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2014 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  
If your working at the driver kick panel, the side of your ORANGE / purple and pink/purple wires that go into the door are the switch side (based off of info I have - test first as always)
dalamb13 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2014 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  
I'm 99% sure that's what we have hooked to. That's why I'm so frustrated! Lol The wires we hooked to come in under the dash panel from the door. They connect into a black connector (not sure why). We pulled the other side of the door switch out, and they are actually different colored wires. I'm not sure if they are the same wires or what. We tested the ORANGE / purple and the pink/purple for the switch side by putting the meter on them to see which side had the 12 volts when locking or unlocking by the door switch.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2014 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  
That was my post ref cutting the motor wires BEFORE testing, that will give you the correct way around.
dalamb13 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2014 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  
We did cut them. We tested them at the driver's door switch. Cut the wires under the dash and double checked them. [:errr:
dalamb13 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2014 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
On a positive note, the alarm & remote start work great dei 451m blows fuses-1993 dodge dakota - Page 3 -- posted image. Lol
catback 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2014 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged  
dalamb13 wrote:
I'm 99% sure that's what we have hooked to.
In 5-wire it's not just hooking to, it's hooking to and hooking to the right way around that's critical. Much like hooking up a battery not only does it have to be hooked up but you MUST get the wires connected the right way around or bad things happen.
Like I said, 5-wire systems like these are confusing. The wires do change color. I must say this is why I like having factory wiring diagrams.
The way this setup works is the driver switch goes to the passenger switch which THEN goes to the lock motor. The purple stripe is the switch to switch connection. The dark green stripe is from the passenger switch to the actual lock motor.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2014 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  
So try it in the passenger kick panel.
dalamb13 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2014 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  
catback wrote:
Like I said, 5-wire systems like these are confusing. The wires do change color. I must say this is why I like having factory wiring diagrams.
The way this setup works is the driver switch goes to the passenger switch which THEN goes to the lock motor. The purple stripe is the switch to switch connection. The dark green stripe is from the passenger switch to the actual lock motor.
So I need to find a dark green stripe?
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic