icon

rear speaker wire by the power wire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
egull 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2014 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  
Dumb question but just ran into this. My rear speaker wire is next to the power wire....is this OK? Let me say that I ran the speaker wire on separate sides from the power wire except that my rear speaker (only 1)is side by side to the power wire for only 2 feet. The only way I see to rewire it is to go around the amp & convertible top motor....problem is the speaker wire isn't long enough to do this.
Just wanted to know if this would cause noise?
Thanks for the help & I hope this problem isn't on another thread.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2014 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  
Do you hear noise in your system? If not, then it's OK.
Support the12volt.com
egull 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2014 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
Haven't got it all hooked up yet. But I'll check that out when I do....thanks
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2014 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  
i have never seen noise come from having the speaker and power wire next to each other, im not sure if that is even possible to induce noise through the outputs of an amp.
egull 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2014 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
Well after reading how to install the amp they say to run speaker wire one 1 side & power wire on the other side of the car. So that's why I asked.
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2014 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
yea its all good man, manuals usually tell you to do a lot of things that arent really necessary. in 10 years of installing ive never had a problem with where i run the speaker wires. only the rca cords can placement near the power wire ,or any other power source like the AC blower motor or power seat motors, become a noise problem.
i usually run the speaker wires and RCA wires together on one side, because they both usually go to the same place and the power wire on the other side by itself. this way usually makes it easier to run and hide the wires under the door kick and running board panels by keeping the size of each wire bundle as small as possible.
egull 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2014 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  
soundsecurity,
Thanks for the advice. Since you have been doing installs for years. My male connector came of the rg59 coax cable in my 95 ford mustang....any idea as how I can fix this? Can't get any am/fm reception. Was told to get antenna extension...sound right?
Thanks for the advice
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2014 at 2:43 AM / IP Logged  
FWIW, I agree. Manuals say stuff to play safe and cover the 5% of exceptions.
Tho power & signal or speakers should not be run together, that's to prevent noise injection. But if noise is not being injected, then (by definition) it should be fine. (It's not as if it's going to inject some DC offset that will blow circuitry.)
I've read of some installs where speakers (wires) can pick up noise - and more so high impedance (low power) pre-amp inputs etc - but that can be due to dc converters or inverters or other electronics (sharing the same power or simply being exceptionally noisy) or lack of quality in cabling or connectors.
If you are not getting any noise, or power pops (other things turning on-off causing noise - tho that can be thru the HU or amp's power and not due to cable runs), then you should be fine.
soundnsecurity 
Posted: October 09, 2014 at 6:35 AM / IP Logged  
ok, so your antenna connector fell off of the cable? not an easy fix but its possible. is the tip still attached to the small center wire or did it completely fall off?
if the center is still connected to the tip then carefully put the sleeve back around the coax wire and try to re-crimp it with some pliers and then use some good electrical tape on the edge where the connector meets the coax wire just to give it extra support.
if the tip broke off completely then you will need an antenna extension, honestly any antenna adapter with the same tip will do. you will need to strip each antenna cable down to the outer shield wires and then down farther to the tiny center wire. the center wire is super delicate so be careful not to knick the wire when stripping the insulation off. leave about an inch of the center wire sticking out about each side.
move the shield wires out of the way and gently take the center wire and twist them together so that they make contact but not too tight because it will break off and you'll have to strip more and start over. once you have the wires twisted together you will need to solder them together, nothing else other than solder will work because any kind of physical connector will break the wire.
once you have those soldered i like to use hot glue to replace the inner core insulation and give the wire strength again. be careful not to move the wire a lot, too much bending or movement will break the wire and you have to start over.
let the hot glue dry completely before you do anything else to the wire. once its dry and the gap between the coax wires is filled in with hot glue, take a little bundle of the outer shield wires from each end and twist those together and solder them together. remember at this point you still have to be very gentle with the wire because it can still break if you bend it too much.
after everything is soldered back together wrap the spliced area with good electrical tape. you need to wrap it tightly but you still need to be careful. wrap the wire up to about two inches on each side of the splice. the durability of the whole splice depends on how many times you wrap it with tape so dont hold back, id give it at least 5 or 6 wraps around the whole length of your splice.
now you are finished, plug it back into the radio and test.
egull 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2014 at 9:07 AM / IP Logged  
soundnsecurity,
the male end came off, when I took out the radio...also the cable is L shaped at the end with a metal band around it (the tip)
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic