the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

rear speaker wire by the power wire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2014 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  
rear speaker wire by the power wire - Page 2 -- posted image.
does the end that came off look something like this? if so then this is a universal style antenna that is common on fords. you can use any type of aftermarket antenna adapter and just cut the end off to splice it to your factory broken end.
egull 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2014 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  
Yes that's it
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2014 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
ok, so just buy any aftermarket antenna adapter, a cheap one will be around $4 - $5. you might want to opt for one that is longer because this will give you more room for mistakes if the core wire breaks while you are fixing it. if you arent used to handling delicate wires and soldering wire then you will probably break the wire a few times before you get it right. it took me a few times to get it right and i was being careful so prepare to get frustrated when you go to fix this antenna.
soundnsecurity 
Posted: October 11, 2014 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
another option might be just to run a whole new antenna wire if you want to go through the trouble of tracing the antenna cable all the way back to the antenna or there might even be a junction somewhere in the middle of the run that you can just unplug and then just buy an extension long enough to make it back to the radio.
egull 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2014 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
LOL...I thought the factory cable was rg59 coax? Am I correct? It's a 95 mustang. So if that's true can't I just use compression plugs with a barrel connector to join the 2 ends? as I thought this was coax cable. If not what am I looking at? Splicing & soldering the cable together? Sounds like a pain in the a@@...lol
soundnsecurity 
Posted: October 12, 2014 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  
yes sir it is indeed a pain to solder this coax but not all coax wire is made to the same specs. i honestly didnt even think of using a house connector and couplings and you might be able to do that if the size of the cable will fit snugly into the compression fittings. the only problem that i see with this way is the fact that the center wire is extremely thin and brittle. its not like a home coax cable where the center core wire has some degree of strength, so it might not work well with any kind of fitting. the factory fitting that fell off was a soldered connector for a reas
egull 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2014 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  
I understand what you are saying about the wire not being the same. The connector that fell off wasn't soldered...I would post a pic but I don't think I can. I could send a link to photo bucket if you like. I was thinking that if I could find a piece of rg59 to see if the end that came off would fit on that piece then I could then see if I could get it to connect. Just an idea not sure it will work....lol
Here's a link to the photo
http://s1174.photobucket.com/user/egull64/media/ANTENNAWIRE_zps13bdf242.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
soundnsecurity 
Posted: October 13, 2014 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  
ok so you actually still have part of the tip still connected. i think you'll have to cut the rest off to make anything else work.
egull 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2014 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  
Yes I have the tip & yes I'll need to cut the original wire. Does the end that looks like a spark plug boot just plug into the old wire? Or doo you cut the boot off & splice? I'm assuming the latter.
soundnsecurity 
Posted: October 13, 2014 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  
no it does not just plug in, its definitely broken. id cut it off and either splice it together or use some sort of connector if you can find something that will work.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic