grand cherokee 1998 & viper, some problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mas112 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2014 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
Hi there,
First of all, I want to thank everybody here for this great site. It helped me a lot.
I'm installing a Viper 5806V in my 5.9L V8 Grand Cherokee 1998. Installation is almost finished, but I have some problems.
I used this diagrams: www.the12volt.com/installbay/file.asp?ID=904 and https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/alarmdetail/1226.html but not everything is correct.
I'm using a DEI 455T module, thats all working fine. Locks/unlocks fine, hood sensor working fine, alarm goes off when I open a door etc.
Now, this are the problems:
1. Parking lights don't flash. I don't know which wire I need to use. I used a multimeter to measure the wires coming from the hazard switch and turning switch (it's 1 module), but I think the hazard switch is giving the pulse directly to the lights. There is no wire of the hazard, it gives the pulse directly to the left and right lamps. I tried to connect the Viper (set negative) on the flashing relay of the car, but that didn't work. The diagrams on this site say I need a Blue/Red (+) wire coming from the switch, but there is no blue/red wire.
This is the diagram from the service manual:
grand cherokee 1998 & viper, some problem -- posted image.
2. Alarm doesn't go off when it's armed and I turn the key. The car starts, but then it shuts off in 2-3 sec because of the OEM immobilizer.
3. I can't enter the 'Programming System Features' menu. I need to open a door, turn the ignition on/off and then press and hold the control button to select a menu. I tried many times, but it doesn't give me any menu.
4. After the alarm is armed, and the alarm goes off because I open the hood or door, it gives me a error report. When disarming the car, it gives me 4 error chirps. But it does this every time when I unlock the door, until I reset the Viper by disconnecting the Main Harness. I think it should stop giving this reports when I start the car. Also, the blue led stays flashing after the alarm went off, even with the car running.
5. Remote start doesn't work. When I press the remote start button, it only gives me 1 error chirp.
Now, I think 2, 3, 4 and 5 have to do with each other. I think the Viper doesn't recognize when the car is running or when the key is turned.
This is what I did at first:
Viper 1 NC - NO CONNECTION
Viper 2 RED / Black: + Fused 12V accessory/starter input: Jeep RED / White {/B]
Viper 3 Pink/Black: + Flex Relay Input 87A key side (if required) of flex relay Not used
Viper 4 Pink/White: + Ignition 2 / flex relay output Not used
Viper 5 Red: + Fused 12V Ignition 1 Input Jeep RED / White{/B]
Viper 6 Green: + Starter input (key side of the starter kill) Jeep Yellow wire, key side only, disconnected from the car side
Viper 7 Violet: + Starter output (car side of the starter kill) Jeep Yellow wire, car side only, disconnected from the key side
Viper 8 Orange: + Accessory output Jeep RED / Black wire
Viper 9 RED / White: + Fused 12V Ignition 2 / Flex relay input 87 Jeep RED / White wire
Viper 10 Pink: + Ignition 1 Input/output Jeep BLACK/ Gray wire
Later, I changed a few things: I disconnected the RED / White Viper wire and connected the Pink/White Viper wire to the BLACK/ Orange wire of the Jeep. Still the same problems.
Here's a diagram of the ignition of the Jeep:
grand cherokee 1998 & viper, some problem -- posted image.
I hope someone can help me. I called a alarm shop today, maybe they could finish the project, but they don't know anything about American cars and alarm systems here (I'm from Europe).
Thank you, really appreciate it!
mas112 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2014 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  
Oops, something went wrong with the bold font at the end. I have less than 50 posts here, so I can't edit my post. Sorry grand cherokee 1998 & viper, some problem -- posted image.
mas112 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2014 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged  
One more time the diagram, but now more clear:
Viper 1 NC - NO CONNECTION
Viper 2 RED / Black: + Fused 12V accessory/starter input: Jeep RED / White
Viper 3 Pink/Black: + Flex Relay Input 87A key side (if required) of flex relay Not used
Viper 4 Pink/White: + Ignition 2 / flex relay output Not used
Viper 5 Red: + Fused 12V Ignition 1 Input Jeep RED / White
Viper 6 Green: + Starter input (key side of the starter kill) Jeep Yellow wire, key side only, disconnected from the car side
Viper 7 Violet: + Starter output (car side of the starter kill) Jeep Yellow wire, car side only, disconnected from the key side
Viper 8 Orange: + Accessory output Jeep RED / Black wire
Viper 9 RED / White: + Fused 12V Ignition 2 / Flex relay input 87 Jeep RED / White wire
Viper 10 Pink: + Ignition 1 Input/output Jeep DarkBlue/Gray wire
Thanks
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2014 at 1:48 AM / IP Logged  
You need to check and verify your Dark Blue/Gray to Viper Pink (Ignition 1) connection and function. It's how the viper determines whether the key is on or off.
mas112 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2014 at 7:36 AM / IP Logged  
@Catback,
100x thank you!!!
I checked that wire, and it was not connected properly. After fixing this, I could change some settings and this solved my problems 2, 3, 4 and 5. I'm really thankful. Remote start is cool!
If somebody could help me with problem 1, the flashing parking lights, that would be great!
Thank you
mas112 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2014 at 2:02 PM / IP Logged  
Anybody who can help me with the flashing parking lights?
I think I can use diodes and connect the wires coming from the switch to the Viper, with diodes. I will need 4 diodes for every side, and they are expensive. Is this the only possible/easiest way to make it work?
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2014 at 3:20 PM / IP Logged  

Assuming it is a U.S. market vehicle...

Not sure of the local laws in your country.  Here in the U.S., we just use the Parking Lights.  If you must use the
Hazard's, could it be blinking Parking Lights?  Most Vipers have a programming option for flashing the Parking
Light Output.  If that would be OK, you could set the Viper Parking Light output jumper/fuse to (+), program the
Viper Menu 3, Item 12 to Option 2 for flashing output and connect the Vipers White Parking Light output wire to
this wire in the Jeep :   PARKING LIGHTS ( + )  BLUE/RED (+)  @ HEAD LIGHT SWITCH

Soldering is fun!
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2014 at 3:05 AM / IP Logged  
To stay within Euro spec, yes you would have to use 4 3A diodes to tie all 4 corner lights into the parking light output of the 5806v. Another option would be relays but that's not likely to be cheaper than diodes.
Unfortunately, this is how it goes with an American spec lighting system being subjected to Euro spec hook up.
Another way, and a way I don't recommend, would be to remove the hazard flasher, connect the parking light output there, and turn on your hazard lights whenever you shut off the car. Like I said, I don't recommend this method.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2014 at 6:36 AM / IP Logged  
Catback's on the right track, love those Jeep imports, use indicators not parking lights if it's Euro Spec.
Ignition loom turn on indicators to one side, will give you two of the wires, then other side for other two wires, make the Viper fuse POS, use 4 x 1N5404 (3amp) diodes joined to the Viper white wire, bands away from Viper.
Lucky it's not a BMW E46 or Mercedes A class, you'd need 6!
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2014 at 6:40 AM / IP Logged  
Alternative would be to find wires in the first picture marked L64 and L65, at C225, pins 16 and 11,then two X 3amp diodes.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic