icon

Avital 4103, 2008 TrailBlazer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
onesicks10 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2014 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  
I am attempting my first D2D R/S install. I have an Avital 4103 that I will be using on a 2008 TrailBlazer with a FORTIN INT-SL+. The Avital did NOT include a D2D cable, and the one included with the FORTIN will not fit the Avital harness. Shouldn't the Avital include a D2D cable? My other question is, if the Avital cable's other end doesn't fit the FORTIN can the 2 be spliced together? I thought the D2D connections were all standard/interchangeable.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2014 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  

There are actually three D2D protocols.  Fortin, iDatalink and DEI each have their own different D2D protocol and they are not interchangeable.

While some of the newer Fortin bypass modules ( EVO- series ) allow D2D protocol selection ( between Fortin, iDatalink and DBI ), I believe the older series do not have this option and therefore don't supply the DBI D2D harness.  As such, your INT-SL+ will have to connected in W2W mode with the Avital 4103 unit.

Soldering is fun!
onesicks10 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2014 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply! I ended up getting a DBALL module and successfully programmed it. Unfortunately, the truck is not starting with the remote starter. Should I start a new thread specifically for this issue or can I use this one?
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2014 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  

Just continue this thread.  Re-state the basic info : 2008 Trailblazer with Avital 4103 and DB-ALL flashed with xxx firmware, then your specific issue.

As a shot in the dark, did you do the 4103 BitWriter port to DBI D2D port change-over procedure?

Soldering is fun!
onesicks10 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2014 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Kreg.
To answer your question, I believe I did, perhaps my description will answer that better.
2008 6cyl TrailBlazer Avital 4103 using D2D, GM1 - DBALL2 flashed with 1.09 firmware
I am pretty sure I have everything connected properly I will provide my wiring towards the bottom.
The issue I am having is the Avital key fobs do NOTHING. No lock, no unlock no start.
The only wire I have connected on the DBALL2 is the Violet / YELLOW to pin2 of the OBD connected. I followed the instructions (twice) when programming the DBALL2.
1. Plugged in the 14pin harness, held the programming button, plugged in the D2D wire. The LED went orange, I released, it went red.
2. I turned the key to the on position, the LED went solid green for 3 seconds and went off.
3.Removed Key.
Tested key fobs. Nothing. I then proceeded to do the TachLearning which resulted in what appeared to be a successful learn. Still no remote starter, or unlock/door. Touched the activation input wire to ground, interior lights went on. Touched it again, the truck started up. Which (I believe) tells me my wiring is corrected. I can't figure out why the key fobs aren't working.
To answer your question about D2D and BitWriter. That's why I touched the activation input to ground. I wasn't expecting it to start the truck. So I am not sure if it's in D2D now or not because it did something I wasn't expecting.
onesicks10 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2014 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry, I forgot to add my wiring.
Primary Harness
H1/8 Ground
H1/9 parking lights
Remote Start
1 Red - Red @ ignition
2 Pink/White - White @ ignition
3 Red - RED / White @ ignition
4 Orange - Orange @ ignition
5 - not connected
6 - Pink - Pink @ ignition
Door Lock
Not used
Remote Start
H2/1 ground
H2/2 white tach wire
H2/3 white brake wire
H2/4 hoodpin ground
Other thing I noticed is that nothing says to connect the horn. I get no honking. Should I just connect it to the starter even though the DBALL says nothing about it?
kreg357 
Posted: October 21, 2014 at 5:14 AM / IP Logged  

A few thoughts...

1. The Hood pin wire ( H2/4 ) should not be grounded.  It interprets a ground input as the hood being open and

should prevent a remote start.
2. Try this to switch the ESP / D2D port over to D2D mode.
     To use as D2D mode follow the below steps:
     1. Remove all power from the Avital R/S brain.  ( Pull the two fuses.)
     2. Make sure Avital's WHITE/ Blue activation wire is grounded.
     3. Power the unit up. The system LED flashes for 5 seconds to confirm D2D mode change.
     4. Remove the WHITE/ Blue wire from ground.  ( Do this cleanly, without pulsing the WHITE/ Blue wire.)
3.  Is the antenna plugged in completely to the port next to the door lock connector?
4.  Perhaps the remotes are not paired with the control unit.  The Parking Lights should flash with a Lock or Unlock.
5.  The DB-ALL does not control the horn.  You will have to make that connection directly from the Avital to the Trailblazer.

Soldering is fun!
onesicks10 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2014 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  
Kreg. Here is an update and thank you again for the reply. The antenna was NOT plugged in. I figured since I was literally within 1 ft of the box when hitting the buttons it would work. Stupid rookie mistake. I plugged in the antenna and everything worked as it is supposed to. Even the parking lights (without being connected.)
I did however notice that the truck starts immediately. I saw a few other posts about the brown wire needing to be energized. My only question is. How? I have no more wires to connect.
Also, I did connect the horn and I am still searching for the white tach wire. I tried testing with my voltmeter but it's reading 6V when running and only fluctuates .6. Hoping I have it connected properly. black lead to ground and red to the white wire.
Other than that I am in pretty good shape. I went into the Features mode of the DBALL and changed the heater seat options.
onesicks10 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2014 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
Update. Scratch that. The parking lights didn't work. Only with the lock/unlock, not with the remote start. Had to connect those.
kreg357 
Posted: October 21, 2014 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  

If you are referring to the thick Brown ACC2 wire in the Trailblazers ignition harness, it may or may not

need to be powered during a remote start.  Not sure exactly what circuits it controls.  Basically, if the engine
starts, there are no CEL's and the heat / AC & fan work work OK, you don't need the Brown ACC2 wire.
If you need or want it, there is a way to power it.  You will need an automotive Bosch style 30/40 Amp SPDT
relay with harness and a fuse holder with 25 amp fuse.  Wire as follows :
Relay Pin 85 to Avital 4103 4-pin satellite harness Pin 2  ORANGE  (-) ACCESSORY OUTPUT
Relay Pin 86 & 87 to +12V constant through fuse
Relay Pin 30 to Trailblazer Brown ACC2 wire
Relay Pin 87a not used - insulate

That is probably the White Tach wire.  You are only checking AC voltage when it's the actual frequency that

counts.  The 4103 only monitors this input with a high input impedance circuit, so no harm in connecting to
this wire and trying a Tach Learn.  If you get the successful response, then you are all set.

Soldering is fun!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic