icon

auxiliary lamp with turn signal

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
somethingnew 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2014 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  
I would like to setup a trigger set of relays, that will use the the directional 12v+ wire at the bulb without a constant power supply.
To better explain, if I trigger one pulse of turn on the directional, I don't want the auxiliary lamp to turn on. Instead I would like to send two impulses and then on for the the light to be on for the duration of the turn.
Example: My 40' trailer has a "wide turn" sign on the back to alert drivers behind me that I make wide turns. I want to activate a lamp to warn them of my intentions while the directional is on before they come in too close.
Is this possible with the single wire knowing the "flasher" allows power to pass through the bulb before it activates?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 15, 2014 at 7:30 PM / IP Logged  
So you want the first 2 blinks to go through before the lamp illuminates. Is this correct? Do you want the lamp to pulse as the blinkers, or do you want it to illuminate constant?
somethingnew 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2014 at 7:07 AM / IP Logged  
Yes. By using the directional feed to be the the triggers, it then would be constant on to flash with the directional signal lamp. This way I could place the relays on either side of the trailer for a wide right turn or a wide left/u-turn.
I've looked at the drawing on here for the lamp to come on with the turn signal, and that will work for the lamp to run with the directional every time. I'm looking for the extra step to activate when needed. I'm sure that is more then two relays, but have failed in the sequence myself. I have missed something to cause a back feed or one relay to buzz....opps! LOL
somethingnew 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2014 at 7:28 AM / IP Logged  
I would like to do this without running a new wire. If I need another 12v power source to activate the series, then it would be possible to use the brake lights feed.The reason I say that is because that could be another control factor to the auxiliary lamp, and retro fit any existing factory wiring at the tail light. so a relay "set" could be behind each tail lamp.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 16, 2014 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  
somethingnew wrote:
Yes. By using the directional feed to be the the triggers, it then would be constant on to flash with the directional signal lamp.
I still can not tell if you want it to be constant or if you want it to flash.
I am still confused about if you want it to not come on till the 3rd flash of the turn signal.
somethingnew 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2014 at 6:51 AM / IP Logged  
I would like it to be constant, and to flash with the directional.
I don't want it to come on when I want just the turn signal to be on. I would like to send two impulses to activate the relays to allow the directional power to pass through to the lamp that illuminate the wide turn sign.
somethingnew 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2014 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  
I should add, that I would like it to stay on until the directional turns off, and resets.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2014 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  
IMO the solution is a PICAXE 08M2 or some other logic (CPU) device.
Otherwise something like an EXLEDUSA TPC module with whatever counters & timers & switching logic are required.
somethingnew 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2014 at 8:12 AM / IP Logged  
Thank you. That has crossed my mind as to flash a chip set for this operation. I will research that more in detail.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic