icon

2011 toyota sienna

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
t1snwbrdr12 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2014 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  
Trying to figure out the cleanest and most reliable setup for a bypass and remote start for my sienna. I want a remote that has capability to activate both sliding doors too. So far, looking at pictures of remotes, all I've found is the Audiovox Prestige APS 687E. Is this any good? Reliable? etc. Before looking at the actual remotes, seems everyone prefers Viper or Compustar.
I'm looking to do this on my own. I wanted to go with the Toyota oem setup but reading into it more I found that you cannot unlock or open any doors or else the remote start will stall out the engine for safety. This is why I'm beginning to research aftermarket setups. I want my wife to be able to warm the van up and remotely open the sliding doors to put kids in without it stalling.
What parts would you all suggest for the most reliable and simple to install remote start and bypass?
My initial thought was idatalink ads-tb and the auxiovox prestige aps 687e.
Something come to mind as more reliable/reputable? Or simpler to install? I'd prefer to never have to buy an expensive cable to flash update firmware, which maybe I'd never have to update it but who knows. I'd really prefer plug and play but I feel like I can be pretty sure there's nothing like that out there besides Toyota oem.
Thanks for any advice. Sorry if anything I'm asking sounds dumb, I'm still trying to learn up on all the aftermarket remote starting ins and outs.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2014 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
Just did one of those. Should have taken photos and done a Pictorial. I used a Compustar CS700-s with a PKALL as the bypass.
The vehicle was an LE with AWD, no alarm and the "G" ignition key. You can get both sliding doors by using the Trunk Release
output for one and the 2nd Unlock for the other.   Pretty straight forward with connections at the main ignition harness and the
Body ECM connectors. All under the drivers side dash.
Soldering is fun!
racerjames76 
Silver - Posts: 581
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2014 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  
I like the prestige units. Only setback is that the button #1 that would operate the left sliding door only works 1 time while the engine is remote started.
To master and control electricity is perfection. *evil laugh*
t1snwbrdr12 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2014 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  
Is the one time sliding door / aux button use the same for each button 1 and 2? Does this mean you can power /remote open the door but not close it remotely because you've already used your one button cycle?
I think a 1 and 2 button may be a cleaner/less confusing install than using a trunk/unlock button for the sliders?
Is the install like I want typically expensive at a shop? How do I know the shop will take their time and solder all splices etc? I have a hard time trusting electronics install shops. Used to work at a dealer for 10+ years and we had a guy who did our work. Now I don't have his contact anymore though.
Know anyone in or around frederick maryland to do a known good job I may be willing to pay?!
racerjames76 
Silver - Posts: 581
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2014 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  
The one time operation only applies to button #1 on the avox units while remote started. To operate after being started a 2nd time you would have to shut the van off.
To master and control electricity is perfection. *evil laugh*
pentavolvo 
Copper - Posts: 241
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2014 at 4:23 PM / IP Logged  
Just have to program buttons. I use same unit on minivans and can open close both doors independently
t1snwbrdr12 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2014 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
What module do you say you prefer on minivans? The prestige or that compustar a previous post mentioned?
I looked up the PKALL. I can't seem to find install instructions besides for the ignition feed. I assume there are many more inputs needed to the bypass module, correct? Is that to be found on the installers own? Or when it is shipped does it come with further instructions or diagrams?
Thanks for the help so far.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2014 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
The first question is :   Is this Sienna a Push To Start or regular "G" ignition key system? That will be important with regards to the
bypass module needed.
Next question is : Are you more concerned with cost or ease of install?
After that comes : How proficient are you with soldering and Digital Multi Meter usage?
There are no aftermarket plug and play units. All have some level of wiring. The install I finished recently was all hard-wire. No D2D
connection between the R/S and bypass. All functions like door lock, unlock, right & left sliding door, Tach, Brake, Parking Lights and
Horn were direct wire connections to the mini-van. All soldered, very reliable and will out last the vehicle. The down side is using the
DMM to locate and verify each wire. That being said, there are bypass modules like the EVO-ALL that will simplify the install. but they
cost a bit more than the PKALL and you must have them flashed with the correct firmware by the seller prior to shipment.
The PKALL install guide is very accurate and the pictures are good. Basically, three wires to the IMI / IMO wires and three wires to the
R/S for power, ground and GWR. Programming is easy. Also note that the PKALL is a Fortin Key-OverRide-All with DBI D2D. Typical
price is around $30.
The full featured EVO-ALL ( min H/W Ver 3 ) flashed with the correct firmware ( min Ver 79.03 ) goes for around $60, delivered. Here is a
link to the EVO-ALL install guide : http://fortin.ca/download/9051/evo-all_sienna_-_gkey.rev-20130424.pdf
The ADS TB is a good choice but would need the correct firmware flashed on it. For a little more you could get the ADS AL-CA with the
correct TL5 firmware on it. That would equate to the EVO-ALL as far as features.
A lot of choices. Some depend on your budget, others on your needs and some on your tools and skill level.
Soldering is fun!
t1snwbrdr12 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2014 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  
Regular key.
I don't have much free time so ease of install ranks high. I'll pay a little more if the ease is significantly different.
I just want the van to idle to warm up or cool down and be able to actuate the power locks and sliding doors from the remote as well, unless I can still use the factory keyless entry after the remote start has been actuated.
I was a dealer mechanic for some time so I can install it correctly. But as you can imagine, dealer techs don't have to deal with aftermarket installs etc. I can properly solder and trace and verify my inputs but of course I'd prefer to simply know what I need to tap into and go to work.
pentavolvo 
Copper - Posts: 241
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2014 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  
Start the van then grab your other key/fob and see if it will let you run the doors and locks
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic