icon

compustar cs-6102as e-brake wire?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
andrewiffic 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2014 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
I'm installing a Compustar CS-6102AS Alarm/remote start system on a 93 JDM Toyota MR2 manual transmission. In order to set the system into reservation mode to start the vehicle, it says that the emergency brake must be set. But there's no wire listed in the instructions that says I should connect it to the MR2's e-brake. So my question is does anyone know which wire I am suppose to connect to the e-brake?
Thanks! I've searched far and wide and can't find an answer to this.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2014 at 5:34 AM / IP Logged  

Got some bad news for you.  The CM600-AS controller used with your system is designed for Automatic transmissions

only.  Here is an excerpt from your install guide ( FAQ's on Page 22 ) :

Is the CM-600 compatible with Manual Transmission vehicles?

A: No, the CM-600 remote start system is compatible with Automatic Transmission vehicles only.

Link to full install guide :  http://techfeed.compustar.com/ft_controllers/manuals/CM600AS_Full_Install_1.0_EN.pdf

Possibly the confusion comes from the fact that there are two guides included with the CS6102-AS kit.  One is for

the CM-600AS brain and the other is for the remotes.  The guide for the remotes is rather generic as they can be
used for other Compustar systems ( CM-5000, CM-6000, etc ) that are capable of safely handling a manual
transmission vehicle.

Soldering is fun!
andrewiffic 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2014 at 7:49 AM / IP Logged  
Wow I can't believe I made that mistake. I did so much research before buying this unit too! You're right in that I read about the start-up procedure for manual cars in the remote guide so I thought I had the right unit.
So I see it as having 2 options now. Either use this unit and install some sort of custom neutral safety switch to protect me, such as this: http://www.6crew.com/forum/showthread.php?22087-Custom-Neutral-Safety-Switch-5-Speed
Or remove this unit from my car :( and buy the one made for manual transmissions. Do you happen to know the comparable Compustar model for manual transmissions? You mentioned CM-5000, CM-6000....
Thanks for your help.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2014 at 8:18 AM / IP Logged  

Yes, you could purchase a Compustar CM6000-AS controller ( aka FT6000-AS ) for around $80 and use the remotes / antenna you have from the CS6102-as kit.  The FT6000-AS is manual transmission safe and a more fully featured system.

The Compustar systems don't have a "Neutral Safety Switch" input like other brands.  If your car had a ECM generated Neutral Safety signal, you could use that as part of your Hood Pin input or Brake Input, but it's generally safer to use a R/S that was designed for manual transmissions.

Soldering is fun!
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2014 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  
What about using the DAS sensor, if it detected movement it would shut down the system.
andrewiffic 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2014 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
What about using the DAS sensor, if it detected movement it would shut down the system.
Hmmm, interesting. I just looked that up and it looks like that would be a good fail safe too. Since it has an accelerometer it doesn't allow the vehicle to start if it detects forward movement. So how does this hook up to my unit? Does this replace the shock sensor that came with my unit or do I hook it up some other way?
andrewiffic 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2014 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  
Oh nevermind, it looks like the DAS sensor is not compatible with my unit.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2014 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry, that's the problem when we don't get the product in the UK!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic