can viper backup siren be connected to sm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
axbw 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2014 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  
Hi,
I have Viper 5706v installed along with the VSM250 GPS SmartStart module and 515R Backup Battery Siren. A local dealer told me that it is possible to wire the backup siren into the GPS module so that in the event main battery power is cut, backup siren will go off and inform the SmartStart module which has it's own battery and thus be able to transmit the alert to my cell phone.
I do not see anything that substantiate this claim in the installation manuals and wiring diagrams. Does anyone know how this can be achieved, let me know how to wire it up please ?
Another question is, is it possible to program the brain unit so that it recognizes factory remote unlock and thus doesn't go off when I unlock using the factory remote key ?
Thanks.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2014 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  
I'd assume via diodes from each battery (ie, access to the smartstart battery).
Otherwise I'm sure the dealer can provide extra detail.
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2014 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
The siren doesn't trigger an alarm (i.e. it has no outputs) so it can't be used to signal the smartstart. What you need is a back-up battery that can power the alarm then the alarm will send an alert via the smartstart.
axbw 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2014 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you both for your replies.
oldspark wrote:
I'd assume via diodes from each battery (ie, access to the smartstart battery).
Otherwise I'm sure the dealer can provide extra detail.
What needs to be done is to get the backup siren to tell the smartstart module that an alarm was triggered. But there don't seem to be a straight forward way of doing it. I believe, the alarm system 5706v is capable of telling the smartstart module that an alarm was triggered but the backup siren is not. So only way out I fathom is to install a backup battery to power the 5706v. I wish there was another way of doing it.
catback wrote:
The siren doesn't trigger an alarm (i.e. it has no outputs) so it can't be used to signal the smartstart. What you need is a back-up battery that can power the alarm then the alarm will send an alert via the smartstart.
I called up the Viper tech support and that is exactly what they told me. Thanks a lot for confirming that. My intention is to use the battery from the backup siren to power the 5706v, not sure if that will be able to power both ?
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2015 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  
Devise a separate battery or appropriate switching, else ensure diode voltage drops don't compromise battery life & alarm (whetever...) performance.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic