icon

viper 5706v problem/

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
linville78 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2014 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  
I'm working on a 2015 Explorer police interceptor. There is no factory alarm or chip key.
I have gone through the forums and from what I've seen I connected the 10 pin connector wires correctly.
I have not tried to use the remote start yet because I have not been able to get into programming mode to change to automatic. Which most likely has something to do with my issue.
My problem is that when I put the key in and turn it to the RUN position the starter engages. If I disconnect the pink wire the symptom is gone.
10 Pin Connector:
RED / black      B+
RED / white      B+
red B+
green key side of Blue/white start wire at ignition switch
violet        starter side of blue/white wire at ignition switch
(I do have a starter kill relay)
orange PURPLE / green at ignition switch
pink  WHITE/ orange wire at ignition switch
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2014 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  

Strange problem.  I'm assuming every thing was OK with a regular key start prior to the 5706 install.  That really shouldn't happen.  The 5706 should not interfere with any normal operation, like a regular key start-up.  The wiring looks correct but...

The "Starter Kill" function is done by the Viper internally using the Green and Purple wires to the cut vehicle Blue/White Starter wire.  You mentioned that you have a starter kill relay.  Is this an external extra relay you added?  If yes, that is probably where your problem is.  Miss wiring that external relay could cause this issue.

If no external "Starter Kill" relay, then your Viper is very sick. 

Soldering is fun!
Ohmz 
Copper - Posts: 193
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2014 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  
That starter kill relay sounds like the problem especially if you tied it in with that pink wire.
linville78 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2014 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you, It WAS my external relay. I didn't realize it had it's own internal starter kill.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2014 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  
Note: "Unable to get into programming".
The 6 models with the new antennas and remotes are having problems with pin alignment already come up on another post today.
My colleague who installs about 10 per week had problems with that issue.
linville78 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2014 at 2:05 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the tip Howie. I did notice those tiny pins and took great care pushing in the connector.
By the way once I removed the external relay I was able to get into programming without a problem and all is well.
The last time I installed an alarm/remote start was about 14 years ago
I see nothing has changed with DEI's confusing circuit names and
nonexistent customer service for those of us who are not dealers.
I'm glad I found this site.
Thanks again.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2014 at 2:21 AM / IP Logged  
What do you think it's like this side of the pond?
Thank goodness I'm still friendly with their former technical manager.
Ohmz 
Copper - Posts: 193
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2014 at 7:55 AM / IP Logged  
Another thing I noticed with the few that I've installed is that the 2way remote doesn't respond sometimes. It might indicate unlock on the remote but it was in fact locked using the remote. I reset the brain and all works well again. Just a note incase you run into this issue later.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2014 at 8:01 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks I believe they're addressing those problems and that's the version we'll be getting for Europe next year.
856 instead of 900 mhz.
linville78 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2014 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  
Another thing that I had an issue with before I realized I did not need the external starter kill relay was that the orange (-)500mA ground when armed output wire would ground when armed and ground when trying to remote start. If the unit DID need an external start kill relay wouldn't that defeat the purpose? If the normally closed relay is energized while trying to remote start then the starting circuit opens.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic