the12volt.com spacer
icon

car alarm in toy hauler?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dschlyer 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2014 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dschlyer
I purchased the Viper 5706v with the intent to install it in my toy hauler now and at a later date move it to a hot rod I'm building. I sent Directed Electronics an email before purchasing to see if it would work but never received a reply. Perhaps there still laughing! I have been trying to do a bench, proof of concept, before doing the actual install but I'm having little success. Obviously I need to pair down the many feature of the 5706v. I have an electronics tech degree but have not worked in the field for many years. I have tried to access the Directed-installer support site but am denied access.
equipment: Viper 5706v, Dual Zone Motion Sensor-508d, tilt sensor-507m, stinger double guard shock sensor.
tonanzith 
Gold - Posts: 593
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 25, 2014 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tonanzith
As long as you have a battery in your toy hauler with a good reserve capacity or plug in to recharge via the tou haulers converter if equipped with one, the viper will work. We have installed alarms in many RV's toy haulers campers and trailers. Pm me or email me and we can advise.
Gary Sather
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2014 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote catback
It's doable, but it's definitely a custom job. Going to need a battery in the trailer (assuming your toy hauler is a trailer). Getting the siren and antenna able to reach the outside world is another obstacle.
A person of your skill level can accomplish this task so have fun.
Yeah, DEI doesn't support those outside the dealer network as you've found out. They don't intend to be mean, it's just how they support their dealers - if a customer wants a viper alarm they go to a viper dealer where it'll be professionally installed by a trained tech then customer support and warranty will be from the dealer and DEI will support the dealer with support or warranty issues, DEI will not support the individual that cuts the dealer out of the loop. People don't think about it but car manufacturers are the same way, they never directly support the customer they always redirect a customer to an authorized dealer.
dschlyer 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2014 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dschlyer
Thanks for taking a look. I did send ya a PM. I do have a deep cycle battery and a Battery Tender I plan on hooking up through the winter. It is an enclosed trailer with roof vents I can run the siren to and an antenna if necessary.
dschlyer 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2014 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dschlyer
... I also ordered a bitwriter and later read that the alarm has to be installed before I can use it. If I'm doing a bench setup with a 12v power supply can I get this set-up off the ground?
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2014 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote catback
Yes you can bench program the unit.
dschlyer 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2014 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dschlyer
Great news! I was successful with the bench test.
I was also able to get the 508d to function.
The mfg. said the 508 wash't comparable but it is. I just plugged it in to one of the two sensor ports and bingo! Now I need to see if the 508d Field Disturbance Sensor will work inside the trailer. I placed a stainless steel mixing bowl over the sensor, armed the alarm and it detected my hand about an inch from touching the bowl. I'm hoping the metal sheeting of the trailer is thin enough that with the sensitivity cranked up on the sensor it will detect.
Thanks for taking a look at my post.
dschlyer 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2014 at 7:30 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dschlyer
I have a follow-up question with the 5706v, 507m, 508d, Stinger Double Guard Shock sensor and the 516l kit in a toy hauler, using a deep cycle boat battery, what can I expect in terms of battery life before recharging?
p023879 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2016 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote p023879
Just curious if you got this to work? Looking to do the same with my trailer. I already have a battery installed in the trailer with a solar charger that runs the interior lights. Want to make sure I dont need all the other connections connected for the alarm to work, just going to use the shock sensor.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic