icon

connecting an antenna plug

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
egull 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2014 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
I know this is a dumb question but my antenna plug came off my antenna wire (NO RECPTION)
My question is how do I connect a new plug or the old one?
What tools & steps & parts would be greatconnecting an antenna plug -- posted image.
Thanks for any help in advance
auto enhancers 
Copper - Posts: 203
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2014 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  
we need way more information to even attempt to answer this. What ant? Where is the ant mounted, what kind of car?simple things
egull 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2014 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  
95 mustang It's the piece that is attached to the antenna wire that plugs into the radio. Sorry but I don't know the technical name of the piece. It's metal and is crimped on to the antenna wire
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2014 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  
if you can find the end connector just by itself then all you would need is a crimp tool, perhaps a specific kind for that type of connector and you will need a soldering iron. the way the connector works is by striping the end of the cable and leaving enough of the core wire to pull through the end of the connector through the center. once you pass the wire out the other end of the connector, you solder it at the very tip of the connector and that is what makes the connection and then clip off the extra and crimp the other end around the wire.
i dont know what the exact name of the connector would be but im sure you could find it with a search.
egull 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2014 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  
Should have posted this before...here is a link to pics (first 3)
http://s1174.photobucket.com/user/egull64/library/?sort=3&page=1
So I need a wire stripper for the coax....not sure as to how and solder the tip. I thought the cooper piece of the wire had to go    into the very end (tip) of that metal piece. Just wanted to know how to do this assuming someone has done this before.
Let me know please & Thanks
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2014 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  
in the brand new tip, the end of the tip will have a hole in it to pass the copper center wire through the entire connector until it fits over the coax wire like its supposed to. once you have it in position you will have to solder the thin copper wire to the tip of the connector then once it cools off you cut the extra off and round off the tip if necessary.
then you crimp the other end of the connector around the coax wire making sure that the inner shield of the coax is making contact with the crimped end of the connector.
you dont need a special tool to strip the coax, you can do this carefully with a knife . i would post some pics of how to do it but i cant at the moment.
egull 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2014 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  
soundnsecurity
If I have this correct I need to strip the coax wire & make sure that the copper wire is long enough to go all the way through the NEW PLUG, then solder the copper to the outside of the NEW PLUG, then round off if necessary. Then connect the coax to the NEW PLUG according to your directions. Correct?
Sorry but I'm new to this stuff. Picture would be great if you can find them.
Thanks
soundnsecurity 
Posted: October 31, 2014 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  
you pretty much got it. you dont have to solder the tip first, in fact i would do that last. just run the wire through the tip, then crimp the connector around the coax wire and solder the tip last. its really not that hard, just look at the plug and use common sense and dont over think this because its really simple.
egull 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2014 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds easy....lol You don't know what size cable wire is in the 95 mustang do you? Says ford 6....was just wondering if it as rg59 or rg6
Thanks
soundnsecurity 
Posted: November 01, 2014 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  
google is your friend... one quick search and i found these universal antenna connector
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic