< Prev Topic Next Topic >
egull 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2014 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks.....looks like these don't require soldering but still reshearching
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2014 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  
yea im not sure how these actually connect but seeing as how the center core wire is so thin i cant see how else it could be connected because any type of screw or crimp connection would break the wire. but just so you know, i searched for "universal car antenna connector" the those were what it pulled up in case you want to do some more searching.
the universal type connector is what fits into all aftermarket radios and also some car brands like ford and toyota use this style of antenna connector, so it will still fit into your old factory radio should you ever want to re install it.
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2014 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
here is a better picture of these connectors and it does show a hole in the tip for the wire to pass through, you will have to solder these connectors. that PDF under the picture on that page has instructions on how to install the connector.
egull 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2014 at 11:04 AM / IP Logged  
have a jvc in it now & was that way when I bought the car...don't have the OEM stuff.
I bought a connecting an antenna plug - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image. extension cable...any way to connect this to my wire? Thought maybe connectors with a barrel fitting....just an idea. would be like connecting to cable TV wires together. The only problem I see is that the wire that I got is smaller than the OWM wire.
egull 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2014 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks that pdf helps a lot....yes it needs soldering which only makes sense. What about my idea?....lol
soundnsecurity 
Posted: November 01, 2014 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  
the only way you can connect that extension to your broken cable is by using the method i told you about in the other thread you started where you asked about fixing your broken antenna. you will have to cut the end off of the extension and solder them together.
im telling you, there is no way to avoid having to solder this connection to fix your antenna. it seems like you keep trying to make up ideas that dont need soldering and its just not going to happen. the universal connectors will be your best and easiest way to fix your problem. if you cant solder or dont have a soldering iron then just buy the connectors and pay a shop to install the connector for you.
egull 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2014 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the help. I can solder & have the tool. I seen that method used somewhere & thought it might be a better connection that's all
soundnsecurity 
Posted: November 01, 2014 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  
it might work with a different type of coax that has a thicker core wire but this antenna wire is so thin and fragile that you cant use any kind of mechanical connection ( crimp on, screw on, twist on, etc) because it will break eventually.
egull 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2014 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  
Not a big deal...was just wondering. If I remember correctly you use compression fittings to go on the ends then a barrel connector.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic