icon

2008 kia sportage priority unlock

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
GMC4x4Guy 
Copper - Posts: 117
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2014 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  
I am going to be installing a keyless entry in a 2008 Kia Sportage this weekend. The woman that owns it only wants it installed if it will have the priority door unlock feature. The keyless entry unit I have does not have a separate wire for this feature. Normally I would just get another unit, but this one unit is old stock I have been trying to get rid of.
The wire diagram for this vehicle has a note that says "to unlock only the drivers door, use gray/orange wire at a relay behind the dash."
It has a factory disarm wire, but I don't know if it would act as the factory system would and disarm/unlock the drivers door, then all doors when pulsed again. There is no factory arm wire listed.
So I can ONLY unlock the drivers door, OR I can ONLY unlock ALL of the doors, correct?
Is there a magic way to do both, possibly with relays?
Could I tap the wire at the key door lock and use that, since turning once would open one door and twice will unlock all doors?
Thanks for the help.
"Drive it like you stole it"
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2014 at 12:56 AM / IP Logged  
You can possibly use both the gray/orange and the factory disarm wire tied together (diode isolated) to operate the unlock.
The factory disarm wire is tied to the driver door key cylinder, a single pulse won't unlock the drivers door as the key mechanically performs that function.
tonanzith 
Gold - Posts: 593
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 30, 2014 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  
Depending on what alarm your using you need a double pulse to the factory alarm disarm wire and that only disarms the alarm not unlock any doors. A single pulse to the gray/orange will unlock the drivers door only. If the alarm has a 2nd unlock function/wire that is what you would use to unlock the rest of the doors with a 2nd push of the transmitters unlock button.
Gary Sather
GMC4x4Guy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2014 at 3:03 PM / IP Logged  
I'm using an Autopage unit. It can handle double pulse unlocks but doesn't have the second wire for the priority unlock. I thought about using the trunk release also since it doesn't have an electric trunk (hatch). Kind of a pain but it would work.
tonanzith 
Posted: October 30, 2014 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  
The alternative would be wiring in a TR 7 timer module or something similar.
Gary Sather
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2014 at 9:26 AM / IP Logged  
The method I listed above may work for you if your able to unlock all the doors from the drivers door key cylinder. The first pulse would unlock the driver door and the second would get the others.
GMC4x4Guy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2014 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  
I'm in the middle of this install and the gray/orange wire in the car doesn't do anything. Double pulsing the factory disarm wire will unlock all of the doors, but there is no way to unlock just the drivers door now. I have tested the wire and it only shows a ground when ALL doors are unlocked. I have tried jumping the wire to ground and it doesn't unlock anything.
This vehicle did not come with factory keyless entry, so I wonder if that wire only operates when the factory keyless entry is installed?
tonanzith 
Posted: November 02, 2014 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  
Are you testing with the door closed??
Gary Sather
GMC4x4Guy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2014 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  
I did not test with the door closed, however I did manage to get a hold of a Kia door lock wire diagram and that wire will never unlock the drivers door. That wire goes to the "2nd turn door unlock relay" which explains why I only got a ground when I unlock all of the doors. I also checked it using the key switch and it only grounds when the key is turned twice.
I got the alarm wire diagrams from this site as well as one other site and both said this wire was the one to use. It is not.
I couldn't find anything that would only unlock the driver's door. Luckily, the vehicles owner said she was ok with all of the doors unlocking so I had to go that route.
chev104275 
Gold - Posts: 1,427
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2014 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  
I haven't done an 08 in a while but most of the kias will unlock just the drivers door with a single pulse on the 2 turn unlock relay
If i Can't Install it    I Don't need it   Joe

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic