the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2011 honda accord lx-s remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2014 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  

More answers :

Thanks for the great information. Out of curiosity, how were you to decide on a FLCAN over a ADS ALCA.

The FLCAN is a bypass module typically used with Audiovox products.  Audiovox systems have a D2D port that
is DBI D2D mode just like your Avital 4103.  Rather than trying to obtain an ADS AL CA flashed with the needed
DBI flavor of firmware and then getting the correct D2D harness for the Avital to iDatalink connection, it's easier
to get a FLCAN bypass module.  This knowledge comes from experience.

I'm curious because I would like to learn the procedure to do this on a variety of other cars, and what to look for when choosing components. how would I know which bypass module to use with different cars, such as my honda civic 07 Auto, Mitsubishi lancer 08 auto, 2014 Subaru forester 4cyl auto, etc. I was hoping to be able to use understand a single bypass which would be universal to all - but if you could educate me on how to choose the correct bypass, that works as well.

Again, most of this comes from prior experience.  When you realize the vast amount of knowledge required to do
this type of work, you can better understand and accept the price charged by professional installers. 

As for the program viper to Flex Relay = ACC2 < where is this programming taking place?

Down load the full Avital 4103 install guide.  It has the programming tables and the procedure that you follow using
the remotes to make changes to the programming defaults.  For the Flex Relay it's Menu 2, Item 6, Opt 2.  Also
change to Tach Mode, Menu 2, Item 1, Opt 4.  Most of the rest will be OK at the default.

And I believe the accord has auto headlights (this is my friend's car I'll be installing on) If it does, do you know the wire location for this? And if it doesn't have auto headlights, do I leave it unconnected?

Yes, if it has Auto Headlights, wire as shown in the guide.  Without Auto Headlight, omit the 2 wires.

Ultimately looking at the list you have provided, everything is connected D2D, where the bypass is concerned. And where additional connections such as trunk pop, horns, headlights, the remote start connects straight to the vehicle? 

Yes.  The R/S sends certain support commands to the bypass module.  The bypass module passes them on to the
vehicle via the CAN wire and the Data wire shown.  The bypass module also gathers info from the CAN wires ( like
Tach and Brake status ) and sends them back to the R/S via the D2D harness.  The things that the bypass module
does not do ( like horn & Parking Lights ) must be handled directly by the R/S to the vehicle.  The trunk pop is handled
by the bypass module and not a R/S direct connection to the car.  However, the trunk pop will not work while the
engine is running ( just like the factory remotes ).

Soldering is fun!
misturnice 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2014 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  
You have been very informative, and thank you for that!
Connection wise - I have a better understanding now. The only problems I'm not 100% sure on is the bypass types.
When choosing a bypass for D2D and a DEI product such as Avital 4103, would you go straight for the FLCAN over the idatalink? If I chose anther DEI R/S (Viper 4104 lets say) would it be the same wiring procedure with the FLCAN, or would the R/S affect the choice of bypass.
Did you choose FLCAN because it is automatically in D2D? Thus you would use DEI's DBALL, because it's automatically in D2D because their products are D2D?
If I chose to go w/ W2W over D2D, datalink over FLCAN would be a better option because I'm not using D2D?
Also do you know if both the FLCAN and idatalink uses the same firmware flash cable?
would it be easier to use DEI's DBALL just because everything seems simplified with DEI R/S with DEI bypass.
I'm trying to learn for own personal knowledge and gratification, and would love to install the same/similar set ups on a list of these cars
11 Accord, 07 Civic, 08 Lancer, 14 Forester.
Let's say I chose a DEI product like Avital 4103 - would the FLCAN be applicable to all of them in D2D. (Which refers back to above questions of does D2D dictate the bypass choice?, would R/S dictate bypass choice, would car dictate bypass choice, etc.)
If you know of any place I could read up on all these questions I'm asking that would be great also. Most of the DIY guides I've seen, everyone has already chosen a bypass + R/S, and it's all programed and they show where the wire connections go to. I understand the wire connections now, but the choosing and programing is the part I'm not 100% confident on. Thank you again for taking your time to answer my questions.
misturnice
misturnice 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2014 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  
I did a little more research, and was initially turned off by Fortin's EVO all price, however, they're all within the same ballpark range, in order of
DBALL > idatalink, FLCAN > Fortin
Which one would you recommend I go with (this is so I could do an install on the variety of cars I have mentioned, and for future reference).
Easy as in programming wise, user friendly, and overall opinion.
misturnice
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2014 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  

The FLCAN is hardware identical to the ADS AL-CA.  They are both made by ADS iDatalink and can use the same

flash cable.  The only difference between them is the FLCAN uses DBI D2D as its' default comm protocol while the
ADS AL-CA has iDatalink as its' default protocol.  If you are registered on their WEB site and have access to the
module flash area, you can chose which firmware and protocol you want to flash on a given module.  I could flash
an ADS AL-CA with the DBI D2D flavor of firmware and use it with any R/S system that uses that D2D comm protocol. 
The FLCAN harness kit supplied with the module includes a D2D harness that will plug into the DEI R/S's D2D port. 
The ADS AL-CA may not come with this cable.  Either module, flashed with any comm protocol of firmware is capable
of going W2W mode with the R/S unit.  See "Installation Mode Selection" at the top of Page 8 of the FLCAN install guide
mentioned previously.

As an installer, you get to know the strengths and weaknesses of the various products, both R/S and bypass module.

While they generally do similar functions, they might do some of them differently or not at all.  There are many companies
producing R/S units and bypass modules.  Your job is to determine the vehicles needs and the users desires and
match that up to the available products.  Of course, everybody has their favorites and there isn't one perfect answer.

In your case, a basic one-way, standard range, R/S w/keyless entry into a 2011 Honda Accord LX-s, there are many

choices.  DEI has a plethora of models from the Avital 4103, to the Viper 4105, to the Python 4106, and others from
Clifford and AstroStart.  Other popular systems are available from Compustar, Audiovox, Omega, Ultra Start and
CrimeStopper.  If you spend the time to evaluate and compare each system, you will discover many differences.
Your Accord has certain needs.  Here are a few off the top of my head :
1. Capability to support an Accessory2 ignition circuit.
2. Able to interface with a bypass module for the transponder bypass.
3. Able to support a (-) Parking Light circuit.
Nothing real unusual there.  The only PITA is the door locks and alarm system.  Without a full featured bypass
module, the connection point is inside the drivers door.  That means running a couple of wires into the door and
removing the door panel for access.  Old or cold plastic can be difficult.  Which brings us back to the bypass module.

There are basically thre manufactures, ADS, Fortin and DEI XpressKit.  If you visit each WEB site and look up your

car, you will see many choices.  Some only handle the bypass function while others do a lot more.  The ones mentioned
so far, DB-ALL2, FLCAN / ADS AL-CA and EVO-ALL, all do pretty much the same things but there are differences. 
Each has a different cable to flash the firmware.  Each has a different method to program the module to the vehicle.
If you are looking for one brand to do all the listed vehicles, only the ADS module will handle the Subaru's transponder
without loosing a key. 

It's a lot of research but the internet is a great tool.  There is no one site that can give you all the info or a cookbook

synopsis of the remote starter business.  Given the complexity, most people are better off going to a trusted, well
reviewed, local 12 Volt shop and getting suggestions / recommendations from them and allowing them to do the install.
Typically, it will come with a lifetime guarantee and local support.

Soldering is fun!
misturnice 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2014 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  
That makes sense, so in a sense I can use the ADS-ALCA if I purchased the D2D cable, and bought the cable to flash the software (from the idatalink website). Apparently as long as I create an account, I can download and flash any software. Correct me if I'm wrong.
The FLCAN is just comes with a D2D cable, and is already flashed to D2D mode? - however, I would still need the same cable from above to flash the software for the car? - just one less cable to purchase with the FLCAN vs ADS-ALCA.
If I went with the ADS-ALCA, I would purchase the cable needed for firmware flashing (due to research dictating that the firmwares can be flashed through their website w/ an account; dispite everyone saying you need to be a dealer). If this is true, could I just go w/ the ADS and just flash it to do the same as FLCAN - and have the same features, or am I missing something else that the FLCAN has as well.
Lastly, if I chose to not purchase the D2D cable, I could just do W2W. Which protocol would I go with?
DBI D2D protocol needs to be flashed for D2D correct? (what does DBI mean anyway?)
However, if I went with W2W, what protocol is it named?
misturnice
kreg357 
Posted: November 13, 2014 at 7:30 PM / IP Logged  

Still some confusion here.  Not sure if I can explain it any better.

To flash the correct firmware on to the module you need the ADS USB cable.  It is a USB cable that connects to a PC

with internet access.  The same cable can be used with either Audiovox, Omega or iDatalink modules.  There are three
types of modules made, a CAN, a DL and a TB.   This cable is only used during firmware flash.  ADS USB photo below :

2011 honda accord lx-s remote start - Page 2 -- posted image.

The other cable we have been talking about is the D2D harness.  It is the cable that is installed with the R/S system

and connects the R/S to the bypass module.  There are basically two types of D2D harnesses, one for DBI and one
for iDatalink & Flashlink protocol.  The FLCAN modules include this DBI D2D harness in the package.  Here is photo :

2011 honda accord lx-s remote start - Page 2 -- posted image.

If we confine our conversation to the ADS AL-CA and your specific application, you will find that there are several

firmwares that you can flash onto the module with the ADS USB cable.  Here is the list below :
ADS-AL(DL)-HA3      
DBI-AL(DL)-HA3

The above two are the full featured firmware that handles the transponder bypass plus many other things,
like door locks, alarm, sliding doors and power hatch plus supplies Tach, Brake and other signals.  The only
difference is the D2D comm protocol used on the D2D port.  Either will still run in W2W mode if selected during
pre-install programming prep.

ADS-AL(TB)-HA        

DBI-AL(TB)-HA
These two firmwares only handle the transponder bypass function.  D2D comm protocol as per the prefix,
ADS or DBI.  Same W2W capability.

W2W is just that, wire to wire.  The R/S unit outputs a (-) Lock command signal as a (-) one second pulse on a wire.

This wire could be connected directly to the vehicle, if the vehicle required a (-) pulse to Lock the doors.  It can
also be connected to the bypass modules (-) Lock Input wire, if the bypass module supported that feature.  The
ADS AL-CA flashed with the DL HA3 firmware does.  The bypass module, via instructions in it's resident firmware,
knows how to handle this input command and converts it to the proper output signal on the CAN bus wires that
were connected to the vehicle as per the DL HA3 install guide.  This causes the doors to lock and the alarm, if
equipped, to Arm.  Easy to understand and very logical to follow and troubleshoot.

Soldering is fun!
misturnice 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2014 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged  
I understand that the idatalink needs the ADS USB cable to flash the bypass.
I might be confused on what the DBI meaning is
"There are basically two types of D2D harnesses, one for DBI and one
for iDatalink & Flashlink protocol."
The FLCAN includes the D2D harness, but you're positive on ADS not providing the D2D harness. In this even I would use wire to wire connection, and bypass the use of D2D. However, I could purchase the D2D harness, flash it to the ADS-AL(DL)-HA3 and I would be able to wire it D2D same as the FLCAN correct?
I'm just trying to see why FLCAN > idatalink, and it seems the only difference is the D2D wire, however, if I obtained the D2D wire, I could wire it up the same exact way as FLCAN w/ D2D, and the same flash of ADS-AL(DL)-HA3.
Did I get it wrong?
misturnice
misturnice 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2014 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  
Also, where do you see DBI-AL(TB)HA3? I see ADS-AL(TB)-HA on the firmware for idatalink, but not DBI
misturnice
kreg357 
Posted: November 13, 2014 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  

"I understand that the idatalink needs the ADS USB cable to flash the bypass.  "

And that this same USB cable can be used to flash the FLCAN and other OEM iDatalink bypass modules.

"The FLCAN includes the D2D harness, but you're positive on ADS not providing the D2D harness. In this even I would use wire to wire connection, and bypass the use of D2D. However, I could purchase the D2D harness, flash it to the ADS-AL(DL)-HA3 and I would be able to wire it D2D same as the FLCAN correct? "

Not sure if I completely understand this.  If you bought an ADS AL-CA bypass module instead of the FLCAN bypass
module, you could use the ADS USB cable to flash the firmware on it, but you would want the DBI-AL(DL)-HA3 firmware
to properly communicate with your Avital 4103 unit.  Additionally, you would need the correct D2D harness to make
the comm connection between the 4103 and the ADS AL-CA bypass module.

The last batch of ADS TB bypass modules I received only had one D2D harness in the kit.  It is not the D2D type

harness required for connection to DEI R/S units.  It is the ADS style D2D harness that will connect to Compustar
R/S units.  So, I don't believe that the D2D harness you need is included in the ADS AL-CA bypass module box.
I could be wrong.  With a FLCAN bypass module the correct D2D harness is included in the box.

Still having trouble explaining this...

DBI is the name for the comm protocol used by DEI R/S units on their D2D port.  It is also used by other R/S

manufacturers on their R/S products.  Audiovox is one brand that incorporates the DBI comm protocol on their
units D2D port.  The D2D harness has two ends with 4 Pin connectors attached.  With ADS D2D comm protocol,
the D2D harness has the same black 4 pin on each end.  With the FLCAN DBI style D2D harness, one end has
the same black 4 pin connector for insertion in the FLCAN's D2D port.  The other end of this harness is different. 
As shown in the photo above, it is slightly larger and red in color.  It will plug into the DEI units D2D port.  As
mentioned before, the FLCAN and the ADS AL-CA bypass modules are hardware identical.  That means that
the 4 pin D2D port on the bypass module is the same and uses the same style black 4 pin connector.

In the Caravan Pictorial I linked to previously, the Avital 4113 R/S system was used.  It is almost identical to the

4103 model.  In that Pictorial I used the W2W mode for the R/S to bypass connections.  While I used an EVO-ALL
bypass module, I could have used :
An FLCAN flashed with the standard FLC firmware.
An FLCAN flashed with the ADS firmware.
An ADS AL-CA flashed with the native ADS firmware.
An ADS AL-CA flashed with the DBI firmware.
Going W2W is possible with any flavor of firmware.

Soldering is fun!
kreg357 
Posted: November 13, 2014 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  

Here is the iDatalink link I use : http://www.idatalink.com/support

If you go there, enter your vehicle info :
Honda
Accord
Std. Key Coupe 4 Cyl. Automatic
ADS ALCA

There are two full featured ( DL) firmware listed,  ADS-AL(DL)-HA3 and DBI-AL(DL)-HA3.  The DBI version is the same as

a FLCAN bypass module flashed with the FLC-AL(DL)-HA3.
There are two transponder bypass ( TB ) only firmwares listed, ADS-AL(TB)-HA and DBI-AL(TB)-HA.

Soldering is fun!
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic