the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2001 Dodge Intrepid, Which Remote Starter?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sportsfreaked 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2014 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged  
Hello, Newbie here. What a fantastic site! OMG such great information!
I want to put a remote starter in my wife's car. She is working outside the home for the first time in 20 years. She has a 2001 Dodge Intrepid 2.7 non skim key. It has keyless entry already and power trunk and I would like to only have one remote. I don't want a system that uses the factory remote because the range stinks.I know it's a pain in the butt from what I've read.
My question is which remote start would be the best to go with without breaking the bank? If it comes with security so be it. I want one that has good range. Also where is the best place to get the relays and the resistors I need? Can you guys and gals give me some ideas of brands to look at. Thanks for the time!
As always thanks for the information and help! It's greatly appreciated
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2014 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  
While everyone has a favorite system to use, I prefer Viper 5301 type of remote starter. Similar units are Python 580, Clifford 1.3x, Newer Vipers are 4204, 4806, 4706. All pretty much the same stuff, just different remotes and range. These are all two way systems.
All a matter of what features you are looking for and ow much you want to pay. You will also need a bypass. I have used DB-ALL with great success. Other people hate them. I have also used stuff from idatalink, and Fortin bypasses all work great.
Mostly all about connecting it CORRECTLY. These are NOT 4 hour projects. Plan on an entire weekend for it. Plan on something going wrong. From my experience, my first install was a disaster. Couldn't get it to work. Research and patience is the key.
Kreg357 will probably chime in with his recommendations. He is a guy that should have a Phd after his name. He's a pro at this stuff. I'm just a hobbyist.
When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation
chev104275 
Gold - Posts: 1,424
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2014 at 6:39 PM / IP Logged  
I do mostly dei stuff and occasionally code alarm. I like them not many issues with either one. For bypasses I use idatalink great products as long as you follow the install guides
If i Can't Install it    I Don't need it   Joe
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2014 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  

Well not quite a Phd, but like Mr. Smoke, I like to help where I can.  Here's my two cents...

The best R/S model depends on the amount of range you need.  The basic R/S systems are typically rated at

around 1000 feet.  There are many decent systems like this and prices are around $50. 

The only thing special about your Interpid is number of ignition wires and the One-wire Door Lock system. 

The car has two Ignition wires and the two Accessory wires.  To do this correctly you will need one external 30/40 Amp

SPDT relay with harness and a fuse holder with 20 Amp fuse.  Using a R/S system like the Avital 4103 LXL will make the
relay wiring easier due to its' (-) Accessory output.  The 4103 can be found for under $50.

For the door locks you will need relays and resistors.  The easy way is to use a DEI 451M door lock module.  It even

comes with the required resistors.  They go for about $10.

The fact that your car does not have a transponder system ( Black ignition key ) will save you some money and time with less wire

connections.

If you find and use this wire for the Parking Lights, Parking Lights (+)     BLACK / YELLOW (+)      @ driver kick panel,

no extra relay and resistor will be needed.  Using the (-) Parking Light wire would require a resistor and on some
R/S units an external relay.

EBay is a good source for the DEI 451M and the 30/40 Amp SPDT relay w/harness.

Soldering is fun!
sportsfreaked 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2014 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all the information!
Smokeman and Chev mentioned by pass modules. I was under the impression that I did not need one since I do not have the skim key. Am I wrong on this?
The DEI 451M door lock module can that be used on any system or just DEI units?
I plan on taking my time. I'm disabled and money is tight so I want to do this myself. I have had the engine apart and the dash apart on this darn car to fix everything and anything and added automatic headlights to it. I have no fears that I can do it as I have all the tools I need. I know it will take time and patience. With 2 kids, 3 dogs, and a wife I have learned plenty of patience.
Thanks again for the time to answer my questions. It is greatly appreciated!
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2014 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  

Check your ignition key.  If the plastic key head is Black - no immobilizer and no need for a bypass module.  If the plastic key head is Grey, then you will need some type or bypass module.  Slightly more expensive but a full feature bypass will handle the door locks / alarm system ( no need for the 451M ).

While the 451M will plug right into a DEI R/S unit, it can be used ( hard wired ) to any R/S unit.

Soldering is fun!
sportsfreaked 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2014 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  
Hello again:
In regards to the DEI 451M door relay will I need one or two of those? My understanding is that my Intrepid 2001 has one wire for driver door and another wire for the passenger doors.
Also I think I have decided to go with a Viper 4210V. It has the bi pass module in it and if we get rid of the car I will be able to use it in another car. Can I get some feedback on this decision. As always I thank you for your time!
ED
kreg357 
Posted: November 20, 2014 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
You only need one 451M module. There is only one door lock control wire. Think you might be referring to the Door Trigger wires that are used by an alarm system to monitor the door status.
Soldering is fun!
sportsfreaked 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2014 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  
Kreg thanks for the response! If I get one with the alarm will I need multiple 451 Modules? Thanks again for your assistance.
ED
kreg357 
Posted: November 20, 2014 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
No, the 451M is only a door lock module and not used for door trigger / status monitoring.
If the Interpid has the Factory Alarm, you can use the 451M door lock module to handle the alarm and the door locks. Here is info from Ready Remote :
Arm is positive trigger thru a 1.87K ohm resistor, this will also lock the doors. Disarm is positive trigger thru a 680 ohm resistor, if use double pulse this will also unlock the doors. Must use relays.
Use this wire :
Factory Alarm Arm lt. GREEN/ orange (+) @ drivers kick panel   
Factory Alarm Disarm       same wire
Soldering is fun!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic