the12volt.com spacer
icon

direct-to-batt cabin heater

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ronemca 
Copper - Posts: 107
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2014 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ronemca
Yes - this is the type of evaluation I need. I can see your point clearly; a helluva drain for negligible results.
But seat heaters?! Hmmm. That thought did cross my mind, but I figured they would be a lot of fuss (and/or pricey) but I admit I've not researched this option.
Excellent thinking! I shall delve into this possibility.
ronemca 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2015 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ronemca
Well - I opted for the add-a-cushion cig outlet heater. I found one on sale and it turned out alright in the end.
I did learn that "proper" set heaters (read: integrated) can be procured & installed at the same places that do audio and alarm installs (and for around the same price) but I decided that this particular vehicle was not one I wanted to invest that much in for something I couldn't remove and re-use (or re-sell) later.
As always, gentlemen - my warmest thanks for your feedback! I value it greatly.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2015 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote oldspark
Feedback appreciated - especially when so warm.
Just make sure cig sockets don;t supply too much of that warmth. (OEM vehicle cig sockets are usually fine; it's aftermarkets & extension/expansion sockets that seem to be suspect with more than several Amps.)
burntkat 
Copper - Posts: 143
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2015 at 8:28 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote burntkat
ronemca wrote:
Sure - and once the car warms up it's dandy. But that takes too long. I'd like to be able to have some heat immediately when I first hop in at 5:30 AM.
Late to the party again, here...
and yes, I'm a southern boy, so take this with a grain of salt:
Install a remote start system. Hit the starter from the warmth of your kitchen as you enjoy the morning cuppa in your pajamas. 15 minutes later you walk out the door and have a toasty warm truck.
Of course it may take longer for your vehicle to come up to temp in the dead of winter- suggest doing a test cycle on a cold vehicle in the midst of a cold morning and get some actual numbers.
Yes it will waste a bit of fuel- or maybe not. You'll be commuting with an engine at proper temperature, and the vehicle will get better economy in so doing.
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. - Robert A. Heinlein"
burntkat 
Copper - Posts: 143
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2015 at 9:00 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote burntkat
oldspark wrote:
If it takes longer, check for a faulty (open) thermostat else blocked lines & heater core. (I flush my core etc every few years.)
If I may make a suggestion- try RMI-25. It is a fantastic product, and will clean out your radiator and entire cooling system quite well, extending the life of all parts.
Also, a coolant bypass filter is an excellent addition.
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. - Robert A. Heinlein"
ronemca 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2015 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ronemca
I installed a combo alarm + remote start long long ago, and I use it daily when I am setting out from home. However...
I am mainly interested in the other end of my daily journey; leaving work. Despite buying an expensive (read: long-range) remote start system...it will not reach the truck until I am seconds away from opening the doors. Between the walls themselves, the electronics, the steel girders, the walkie-talkies etc. etc. there is clearly a tremendous amount of interference that challenges the little remote. And yes - there are units that can be activated with a cellphone, but the same problem exists; there is no cellular signal until I am damn near outside.
We are going through periods where the temp is around -24 F (with wind chill) and for half that time I am on the night shift...so I'm coming out of the building into the worst of it!
ronemca 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2015 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ronemca
And I am quite disappointed in the 12v add-a-cushion. The OEM seat heaters in my other car are pretty good; you can actually feel the heat within 3 or 4 minutes of activation. But the floppy topper sucks! It takes about 10 minutes before you begin to feel anything - and it is pathetic. At no time would I ever say:
"Geez - my ass is roasting! I need to turn this down a notch!"
< sigh >
If I had a long commute, or I used it to make my living and was in&out constantly (i.e.: towing) I would go the extra mile and install aftermarket heat sheets, but as things are I will just deal. It's Canada, after all.
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2015 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote oldspark
LOL. Dangfangled modern EFIs have ruined the old money spinner of idling on choke before driving. And I'll stick to my hair shampoo for bad cleanouts IF they are needed - RMI25's opening "an Oxygen Scavenger to prevent cavitation" set my alarm bells ringing, not to mention cylinder pitting. But it's good to see a reasonably priced concentrate instead of the 7% premixes that so many seem to buy down here.
But this thread is about fast or pre-heating. The engine is the best and hence a long range remote is the best. (And automated heat maintainers during stops & cinemas etc.)
Otherwise quickening post-start heating via electric engine fans and waterpumps and cabin heaters being supplied from the head.
Electrics are limited as we have seen - unless perhaps multi-hundred Amp heaters are fitted (as apparently used in come cat converters), but then comes the battery reserve and wear and fuel economy issue. Maybe infrared is a better solution until the engine thermals kick in? (I used to knock infrared heaters until realising they are the best for (immediate) body heating in non heated areas eg, in tents or after stepping out of a shower.)
I'd expect that adding a thermo control unit to remote & autostart systems isn't too difficult - especially to aftermarket fitments.
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 639
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2015 at 1:53 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
oldspark wrote:
not to mention cylinder pitting.
Are you saying "cylinder pitting" is a farce and doesn't exist? Sometimes hard to tell with you what you think. I own a 7.3 Ford Powerstroke and liner pitting is always a concern, as it will silently destroy an otherwise perfectly running $10,000 engine.
Anyway, Diesel wet liner pitting is a very real threat to any diesel engine with liners, and some that don't. Google it. It exists. Here's a liner out of a Cat:
direct-to-batt cabin heater - Page 2 -- posted image.
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2015 at 3:50 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote oldspark
I thought they were referring to the more critical inside pitting.
Page of 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic