icon

remote start bypass? 05 dodge gc

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lin171 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2014 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  
Hey all, I was wondering if you guys could help me. I've been doing research on purchasing everything needed to install a remote starter in my vehicle. Most of the helpful posts have come from your forum, so I thought maybe you guys could help me out. (for example https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=134928 and smokeman1)
I have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT. Initially I was looking for something that had everything all together, during the research I decided I'll buy the bypass separately from the remote starter to ensure I have the right one, and get one that doesn't require a key to be left inside. I currently only have one key because its all that came with the vehicle, but I'm going to get a second one made in case 2 are required to program the bypass, and because I've been wanting to have a second key.
My boyfriend found this bypass, which is supposed to work with my vehicle and doesn't require a key to be left inside. http://www.amazon.com/Directed-Electronics-PKUMUX-XpressKit-Immobilizer/dp/B002WH9S9I/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t Any opinions? Should this work? And then can I use whatever remote starter I want? I'll probably go with the most base unit to save money, since my key is my fob I'll have to carry 2 fobs around anyway.
pentavolvo 
Copper - Posts: 241
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2014 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  
That will work dlpkgm would give you tach also. Avital 4113 gets my vote for starter
lin171 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2014 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  
tach? I'll look at the Avital 4113, thanks!
lin171 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2014 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
there doesn't seem to be an edit here, not that I see anyway. Just noticed one of my links in the first post didn't work, just posted the OP's name. Its titled "2005 town and country" and the t&c is almost the same as the dodge GC, and info for the dodge was mentioned in it so it was helpful.
lin171 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2014 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
Still don't know what you meant about tach?
I went with the Avital 4103L. My mechanic friend is coming over sunday afternoon to install it, I'm so excited. My hope is to set up the lock, unlock, and use the trunk button for the drivers side sliding door.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 30, 2014 at 7:23 AM / IP Logged  
Hi lin,
Which bypass module did you settle on?
To answer some of your questions from above:
---Tachometer: The remote starter has what's called a tachometer input, so it'll stop cranking the car's starter motor at the right time. In your van, this connection is made out under the hood. Not a big deal, but a little bit of time/labor/dirty hands to fish the wire out under the hood and connect it there.
The fancier, more expensive bypass modules provide a tachometer output, so the installer can just splice the tach output from the module to the tach input of the remote starter, saving time.
That all being said, the 4103 has a Virtual Tach feature that works very well in my experience---I wouldn't worry about connecting tach on your van.
---Keyless entry and sliding door: To connect the 4103 to the van's door lock and sliding door wires, resistors are required. They're not expensive online, and if you're in a pinch you can probably find them (though overpriced) at Radio Shack.
Again, the higher-priced, fuller-featured bypass modules usually have inputs for lock, unlock and trunk----just connect the 4103's outputs to the bypass' input, no resistors needed.
---PKUMUX: That module you were mentioning requires two working original keys for programming. If you have only one key for your van, don't buy that module, or go to the dealer/locksmith and get a second key made for the van before starting the job.
---Other bypass modules: Many of the full-feature bypass modules have to be programmed with the correct software for the car you're working on. A special programming cable is required, and sometimes an account with the bypass manufacturer. Be sure to research this before buying.
PS: Have you confirmed your van has a transponder? Most do, but not all. Turn the ignition on, and observe all the various warning lights that come on. Look for a pencil-eraser sized red light that comes on for a few seconds, then goes out. If you have the red light, you have a transponder key.
lin171 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2014 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  
I got the bypass I linked in the first post. Do I need resisters for this?
So I DO need 2 working keys to program this? I was going to buy a second key anyway, but have not had it done yet.
I was looking at the second keys on amazon, if I bought one that matched the key I have, can I program it with my existing key? And can I just get it cut anywhere or do I have to pay big bucks to get it cut? My roommate runs at a car lot and was supposed to find out from his key guy what it would cost to get me a second key, but of course its been some time now and he hasn't yet. I'll see if I can get him to check Monday.
I had gotten 2 day shipping from amazon to get this installed right away... And then my friend didn't show. And we've set up a few more times... and he didn't show. The last time he didn't bother to even text me and explain, and days later I sent some texts and never heard back. I've posted a craigslist ad looking for someone to do the job for me. The problem is I'm disabled and do not have a lot of money, so I'm going to have to pay about double what my friend was charging me since he owes me. But I also can't afford to have already invested this money and had it sitting around in a box for a month now! Going out to start my van in advance and wait for it to warm up is a huge pain in the ass in a wheelchair.
pentavolvo 
Copper - Posts: 241
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2014 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  
Where in indiana are you
Dealer will need to program the second key

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic