icon

what to do with extra wire?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dr.r 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2014 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  
so what do you guys do with all the extra wires? All of the ones i didn't use are bunched up with a zip tie around them but it is a mess And hard to put anywhere out of the way.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2014 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  
Run them with the existing loom. My partner de-pins but I don't agree because you never know if you have to mod anything.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2014 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  

I cut the un-used wires at about 2.5 inches, then use various diameter heatshrink tube to bundle them into groups at each connector.  I keep a bag full of these trimmed wires handy in case I need to re-attach any that were cut at a later date.  This bag of wires came in handy yesterday.  It seems almost every wire was too short to get from the R/S assy to the vehicle wires on a 2003 Mountaineer install.  Must have lengthened 10 different wires to reach.

Here is bench prepped R/S assy for a Jeep G.C.install on Friday.

what to do with extra wire? -- posted image.

Soldering is fun!
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2014 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  
I cut the un-used wires at about 2.5 inches, then use various diameter heatshrink tube to bundle them into groups at each connector. I keep a bag full of these trimmed wires handy in case I need to re-attach any that were cut at a later date. This bag of wires came in handy yesterday.
Couldn't help it K exactly what I normally do I only changed to my first post after having to do the big D2D to W2W change around.
My lots in a Selfridges bag, what's yours, Bergdorf Goodman?
I can probably re-loom up to 4 DEI 5X04 units!
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 639
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2014 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  
Once I'm satisfied that the install is working the way I want it to, and has been debugged, I de-pin the unused wires and put them in a baggie in my stash. Makes the install cleaner. I'll admit, it'll be a little hard on the next guy that wants to make changes or additions but doesn't have a baggie of extra wires handy.
Maybe leave unused aux channel outputs available. But if you have (-) door triggers, do you really need to leave the (+) door trigger wire for future use? And I read a guy say "if I were a thief and saw a remote start under the dash I'd look for the activate wire, and cut the brake wire". That was a revelation. I will now always remove the activate wire if I don't use it.
There are as many "right ways" to do things as there are qualified people doing it. To each, their own.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2014 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
My new policy is to loom them all OR as Kreg says leave 21/2" but I loom them up in fabric Tesa tape as used by the German manufacturers.
There's no right or wrong way except to abide by neatness and as Davep says security.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2014 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  

"Couldn't help it K exactly what I normally do I only changed to my first post after having to do the big D2D to W2W change around. "

I don't do too much in D2D, but I always have an entire spare unit on hand ( both R/S and bypass module ) for each on-site install, just in case.  And now, after a Passlock2 fiasco ( previous repair / install "technician" cut the Yellow Passlock2 wire and added 3 un-soldered resistors that got damaged by the tilt steering), I carry my bag of resistors & diodes, too.

Soldering is fun!
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2014 at 2:01 PM / IP Logged  
Plus about 30 assorted relays, normal cube and PCB minis, never less than a 100 each 1N4004s and 1N5404, all the resistor packs I don't use.
3 Butane irons, 2 cans of gas and spare drill/screwdriver batteries, plus loads of AA and AAA for my LED torches. Plus spare PP3 for Bitwriter and DMM.
And loads of sorted fixings, screws, rings and fastons, about 8 sizes of heatshrink, oh who cares!!
dr.r 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2014 at 6:57 AM / IP Logged  
Wow !! Thanks guys, this is my own car and it has been working well. It is just a mess if you take the plastic off for the bottom of the steering wheel.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic