icon

multipurpose led front light

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
champak 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2014 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  
I want to make an led front light also double as a turn signal. I want to make sure my schematics are correct and won't mess anything up...and will work. My main issue is I know absolutely nothing about capacitors, but know I will need one for the intermittent signal of the turn signal. So I need to know what specs to get on the capacitor.
So basically what I want is to supply power to my led strip...most likely from my parking light, but I'm considering other sources...and when I flip my turn signal it should cut LEDs main source of power and now accept power from the turn signal so it blinks along side it.
This is what the strip will look like when I put it in.
multipurpose led front light - Last Post -- posted image.
This is what my schematic looks like.
multipurpose led front light - Last Post -- posted image.
Help please, thanks.
champak 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2014 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  
2008 Infiniti M35X.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2014 at 4:38 AM / IP Logged  
I'd suggest converting the rear flashers to LEDs and using a LED flasher can - or convert yours if it's electronic; typically replace the shunt resistor (wire) with a resistor 10x its value - ie, a 1R or 3R3 1W etc for common 0.1R & 0.3R shunts. If you still use dash or wing indicator bulbs, and additional 2R or 6R (1/4W - 1/2W) can be paralleled to the new 1W resistor and snipped off later if a full LED conversion is done.
Then use whichever exledusa module relevant - eg TPC Module Ver 1.
You can then avoid the (costly?) and hot & usually a pain to mount ballast resistors. (I prefer using bulbs.)
champak 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2014 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the response. A few things.
oldspark wrote:
I'd suggest converting the rear flashers to LEDs and using a LED flasher can
Why? I'm currently satisfied with my rear lights. Will the difference in the front being led and the rear stock affect the system in some way?
oldspark wrote:
If you still use dash or wing indicator bulbs, and additional 2R or 6R (1/4W - 1/2W) can be paralleled to the new 1W resistor and snipped off later if a full LED conversion is done.
I'm not sure I understand this. Are you pointing this out because the led will cause the dash bulb indicater to hyper flash?
This one you pointed out seems perfect and seems to solve all my issues. Can't I just put this in and everything will work "normal"?...no hyper blinking from any lights in the car, and the led be in sync with the other flashers? TPC Module Ver 1.
I found this Other module on the site and seems the same except price, do you know what the difference is?
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2014 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  
The ballast resistors overcomes the hyper flashing, but IMO they are somewhat stupid - like why then convert to LEDs? IE - it's not for power saving reasons.
Plus they get hot and can be awkward to mount, and I consider them overpriced - ie, bulbs or a once-off flasher conversion are cheaper, and standard.
If you convert ALL bulbs to LED, the it's about a 10:1 to 20:1 current reduction. But a dash 3W bulb takes far more current than f.ex BOTH front & rear LED main flashers.
With all LEDs you can preserve the OEM hyperflashing as usually required by law if a main flasher bulb faiis. With bulb dash or other flashers you won't sense a main flasher LED failure.
Note that some aftermarket flashers are simply timed (relay) circuits with no current sensing - eg, some don't care whether LEDs or blubs, nor how many.
The other module is for combined rear stop/flashers. Check its operation from the site; it will probably be called some "Version".

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic