icon

wig wag, four relay positive to positive

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bobcaldwell 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2014 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  
in the wig-wag 4 relay positive/positive, bottom diagram, can the switched 12volt come from my trucks t/s wire? i have 2 per side led tail/brake light fixtures and am using the 4 relay diagram to operate each side (4 relays per side) but can not make this work with 99 dodge wiring.the fixtures are in my trailer and by my adding a seperate on/off/on switch it works prefect. brake lights work from truck factory switch.also can 12volt constant be from any 12volt source (such as 12volt from trailer battery? i would think the relay system does not care where the power come!s from. bobcaldwell48@gmail.com
national record holder
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2014 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
The wig-wag circuit is only suited to incandescent bulbs, not LEDs.
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 639
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2014 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
Oldspark is correct. LED lights aren't enough load to make the flasher "flash".
EDIT: This post made me do some additional research on flashers. I found this one. Note it works with loads as low as .02 Amp. So this would work with LEDs.
wig wag, four relay positive to positive -- posted image.
I'm a little confused as to what you're doing. It sounds like you have installed two wigwag systems. One in the truck, and one in the trailer. Correct?
And the trailer system is working (with LED lights?), but the truck isn't. Correct?
Does the Dodge have LED or incandescent bulbs?
For the trailer, you only need 3 relays total, plus a flasher, to make the bright filaments wigwag side to side. (Ignoring the "enough load to make it "flash"). Yes, you may use the trailer battery as a power source. Wired correctly, there won't be a back-feed when the trailer is plugged into the truck.
If the truck has incandescent bulbs there is enough load to make a conventional flasher flash if you use a 5-relay system and incorporate the fronts into the system. You need 5 relays (plus a flasher, or a flasher input from the truck) total to make both the fronts and rears wigwag (One in each corner's circuit. Parallel the relay coils for the front and rear bulb on each side). Make the connections at the base of the steering column in the turn signal switch wiring.
Yes, you can use the output from the turn signal flasher, but it is only energized with Ignition on. Perhaps use the hazard flasher output, as it's energized at all times. I'm not familiar with Dodge, but the flasher wires should also be accessible at base of column.
With the LED trailer plugged into the Dodge, the truck's system will make the trailer lights wigwag with the truck. LED's or not.
There's some ideas. I don't know how to post diagrams. I wish I could. Took me 60 seconds to sketch the 5 relay truck system out. But I have no idea how to post it. Sorry.
bobcaldwell 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2014 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  
let me be a little clearer on my progect. have led bulbs in t/s ligths in truck with a flasher for leds. i changed light fixtures on trailer to leds. the company that i ordered the trailer light s from doubled my order, at there expence, so i ended up with 4 total fixtures. so, i thought why not wig/wag them using all 4 lights{2 per side, one above the other}. hence, the 4 relay system i coped from hear. my question is ; can i use my original signal feed from truck to activate this relay system? i now have added a seperate on/off/on switch and plug for trailer wires running seperate from factory truck and trailer wiring. without trailer hooked to truck, everythink works fine. with trailer hooked up to truck i would like to use original factory trailer wiring and truck factory t/s switch as trigger   POSSIBLE?
national record holder

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic