icon

remote start 08 caliber 1.8

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ownedinthedome 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2014 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  
Alright So I am looking to buy a remote start for my girlfriend this christmas. I have come across two of them and want to know what my better options are.
http://www.viper.com/car/remotestart/product/4806v/viper-led-2-way-remote-start-system
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/viper-4115v1b-remote-start-system-geek-squad-installation/9999212600050005.p?id=pcmprd211500050005&skuId=9999212600050005
The 4806V I can get installed for $240 on sale.
We live in the midwest (norther Illinois), so horrible hot/humid summers, and terrible cold winters. Her original key fob has lock/unlock as well as unauthorized unlock alarm so I'm thinking about getting the 4115V, but I also kind of want her to be able to get the extra distance of the 4806V, and not completely sure what all of the features of the 4806V are, haven't found anything that gives a detailed breakdown of the 4806's features. Not to mention if the extra features (minus the lock/unlock) are worth $100 extra.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2014 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  
4806 is a 2way confirmation system, meaning it will report vehicle status + communicate back and to the car.
I doubt that system goes for 240 installed. Your vehicle uses a bypass module which is easily 150 install included.
you could save some huge bucks if you did a stand alone starter. This simple means using the factory key fob (limited to 50 feet) to start the car pressing lock 3x. The install you could pull off in 1.5 hours which no cutting. It would be a direct plug and play unit.
fortin evo-all + THARCHR5.
btw consult a local business. support the brick and mortar, plus they will give you more details for a system that meets your needs/budget
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
ownedinthedome 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2014 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  
That was an option for me, I have 2-3 places I can go to, but one of them I went to for an HID kit install for my 07 Saab 9-3 and they were quoting me a ridiculous price for an specific install that they may have had to do on a mercedes, but told them it would be a simple fix for my Saab. I did hours of research on a forum and told them what they needed to do and they told me I was wrong (I wound up being right and now I have HIDs installed)
ANYWAY, it's a bestbuy deal, so the $240 price is for the kit and install via geeksquad, takes time and lots of frustration out of my hands, not to mention my buddy had an older Viper remote/alarm system a while back that you could change the sensitivity on, so much so that if you drove a car with a loud muffler past it would set the alarm off, so I have faith in the brand.
I'll check in to prices for local shops, but I was specifically looking at a comparison between the two listed. I am having trouble understanding if/how the temperature settings work as well as what the aux buttons purpose is.
tedmond 
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2014 at 11:44 PM / IP Logged  
the 4806 should be shy of 400 after all is said and done. (unit + bypass + install) if you could get it all in for 240, then thats quite the deal i would say.
this is a remote start only system, so you would have no alarm features or an adjustable shock sensor.
more buttons = more functions. the aux is used for trunk release if applicable, can be wired for heated seats, rear defrost etc.
You could save money and get the 1 button remote (start, lock/unlock) but range is limited. cabin temperature is displayed in increments via the LED on the 4806 system. You do not get this with a 1button remote system.
have you considered Compustar or utrastart
Ted
Compustar Expert
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 14, 2014 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  
If you could really get that Viper 4806 installed for $240, and especially without giving up one of your extra keys, that would be quite a bargain.
At Best Buy, have you talked to the sales staff, or the installers? Did they ask you what kind of car you have? Did they explain what functions they will or won't be connecting?
(Just because the remote starter can honk the car's horn, turn on the rear defroster, and so forth, doesn't mean it's included in the installation.)
I used to work at Best Buy, and while I want to watch my words carefully about what I say online, I will say that their strategy is to offer a good basic price to get you in the door, and then charge as much as possible for all the extra parts to make it work.
For example, they have a bogus $5 "materials fee" on each job. I'm too honest and ethical to do that with my customers, so my price probably looks artificially higher by comparison.
Looking at Best Buy's site, they are currently showing it for $299, plus parts. Then they'll tell you you need an FLCAN module which they're marking up well over 100%, and they'll likely charge you separate labor just for hooking it up.
So.....I'll try not to ramble any more. $240 for a high-feature brand-name starter is a great price. Verify that it's really the price you'll be paying.
I agree with Tedmond on the price. I don't sell Viper myself, but I'd say I'd also go for around $400 installed with bypass. Maybe $350 if it were outside of remote start season and I was a little slow.
As for the Viper 4115, that's a really nice basic remote starter. It'll start the engine from a good distance, and also pushing the button again will unlock the car door so you can get in. (Honda OEM keyless doesn't work with the remote starter running.) The Avital 4113 is essentially the same thing with a different name on the remotes.
tedmond 
Posted: December 14, 2014 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  
and Chris comes in with an explanation thats top notch. Wouldn't have said it differently. I have heard from many people that they too, have paid well over 30 percent more compared to the local business. Last i checked, they even charge for trunk release, and door locks which really should come standard.
Ted
Compustar Expert

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic