2004 ford f150 lariat remote start 5706v

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
willy1094 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2014 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
Hello,
This is my first post to the forum. I found this forum during my research for a remote start for my truck. I've installed many stereos through the years in many different makes of vehicles but still apprehensive about the remote start. I originally intended to purchase and have it installed by BestBuy. After talking to the installers a few times I wasn't sure they were the best people to trust for this task. Since they were my only option locally I started looking into DIY installation and think I have found some really great information. I actually enjoy DIY projects even if they are challenging. I'm basically at the point were I want to be sure that I have all my information correct before proceeding.
I received the viper 5706V as a gift and plan on purchasing Xpresskit PKALL for the bypass module. This bypass has the D2D and should just plug into the viper system. I also have two factory keys for programming so that shouldn't be an issue. I also know I will need to get diodes for the door locks and a relay to use the courtesy light feature when I disarm the system (I may opt to just disregard the courtesy light because I cannot find any real wiring help for that).
I found the wiring info for my truck here:
http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/diagrams/diagram.asp?ModelID=18264&MakeID=18&link=Bulldog
I found what appears to be a nice install guide on this forum:
http://www.f150forum.com/f4/viper-5706v-alarm-keyless-remote-start-install-pics-256484/
I've also located the wiring guide pdf for the viper 5704v on this site
My question is, if I use the above information, should I be able to complete this install? Does anyone have any other tips they can provide? Also, I would like to activate my heated seats via to remote. I read somewhere that this would also require a relay but cannot find the site I read that on. Anyone have any pointers on that?
Thanks for any help!
st1nky 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2014 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
hey bud,I am also new here but there is a relay section here that explains about relays https://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2014 at 6:42 AM / IP Logged  
Here is a link to a pictorial on my 2004 F150 Super Cab I did back in April.
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=136387
When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation
willy1094 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2014 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks st1nky. I have a very basic understanding of relays and have found the relay I'll need if I decide to hook up the courtesy light.
smokeman1, thank you for your link/post. That will help a lot. I think I'm going to go the route of installing next to my BCM since most of the wires are all right there together. It looks like the bypass you used is no longer available or it is marked under a different name.
I'd rather not have to leave a key in the truck so I'm looking at the PKALL. According the their website, I will not have to hook it up to anything to program it. The instructions I pulled off the web seem pretty vague and it does not look like there is a wire to wrap around the ignition barrel. Do these type bypassed not require that wire? The PKALL also utilizes the D2D connector that the Viper RS has so that was another reason I am leaning toward it. Please, any input on this bypass would be great. Another option is the XK04.
I would ultimately like to turn on my heated seats via AUX. I'm not sure how that circuit operates so I'm not sure what direction I should be looking in for that. It could be a simple as finding the correct wire to attach to but I thought I read a relay was needed. I could really use help with this area of the install.
Thanks again for any help
willy1094 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2014 at 1:14 PM / IP Logged  
Another question: What is the "door trigger in" for? I see the lock and unlock but then there is the door trigger in that has to be connected for all 4 doors. Is this just the door switch that indicates if the doors are closed?
Thanks again
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 639
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2014 at 1:49 AM / IP Logged  
In the mid-2000's F150 you can connect the blk/yel Domelight supervision directly to the Ford orn/grn at the rear of the light switch. No relays, no diodes. The orn/grn is the control for the Ford's dome light relay. Ground the orn/grn = domelights ON.
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 639
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2014 at 2:06 AM / IP Logged  
willy1094 wrote:
I would ultimately like to turn on my heated seats via AUX. I'm not sure how that circuit operates so I'm not sure what....
willy1094 wrote:
What is the "door trigger in" for?
I suggest you study the Install Guide, and find and study factory wiring diagrams for your truck until you are 100% confident in your understanding of how basic installs are executed, and you have a VERY good understanding of the terms and definitions used in the Install Guides. (DEI documentation is fussy and clunky, and prone to errors regarding pin-outs. Good Luck).
After you understand "Door Trigger" and which polarity to use, and how to diode-isolate the F150, or use the dome lights with appropriate programing to avoid "door-open chirps", you can move on to more advanced features such as heated seats.
We had a guy on here last week that fried his Ford's light switch because he messed up the light-flash connection. Ford requires special treatment. Cost him $100 for a new switch.
Best Buy wouldn't be my choice of installers either, but they probably are further up the learning curve than you appear to be at this point. Be very careful. You're at that classic point where you know just enough to get yourself into trouble and do some real damage to your truck.
Keep reading, keep learning. Burn up a BCM with a dumb mistake, and you'll be out several hundred bucks plus a visit to the Stealer for a $150 reprogram. That Best Buy Install would look like a bargain in comparison.
:02cents: Take it or leave it.
PS, Do It Yourselfer's such as yourself are why DEI doesn't honor a warranty unless it's installed through one of their dealers. There are too many ugh-knowns that can let the smoke out when installed by individuals that really shouldn't be doing it by themselves yet.
willy1094 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2015 at 11:09 AM / IP Logged  
I have studied the install guide, I purchased a complete service manual for my truck and am very comfortable making electrical connections. As far as execution, I have three different installation guides that are very detailed that I can follow. I've gone threw the install and understand all the aspects of their installation (other than the questions I posted here). I came to the forum in an attempt to find knowledgeable people that might assist with a few questions I might have in regards to DEI terminology as well as adapting this install to fit my needs. The ENTIRE reason I would not go to Best Buy is because they said heated seats could NOT be activated via remote despite me telling them that DEI/Viper says it can. There is also a youtube video showing it can be done. I know, from my service manual, that the heated seats are activated my a momentary negative signal. I could figure this out but thought someone would have some input to save some time.
I'm not just trying to save some money with this install. I WANT to do the install. I am an avid DIY'er in almost every aspect of my life. I am making every attempt to not just take a stab at and make sure I KNOW everything I need to know. How else am I going to do this without asking questions? DEI is not help withholding information. As you noted, their "install guide" if pretty vague and I doubt anyone could say that they don't do this on purpose. They can run their business as they see fit, but had I known their utter dis-contempt for end users it would have chosen a product from a company that offers more support. Again, this was a gift and am looking forward the installing it. If you can help, help. If you can't or don't want to, thanks any way.
I really am thankful to anyone that has helpful information. It does bother me when someone comes along and basically tells you to eat it. After all, forums of this nature thrive because people know information that other people need. I don't know electrical at an engineering level, but for an install, I don't need to.
Thanks again
willy1094 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2015 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  
davep. wrote:
In the mid-2000's F150 you can connect the blk/yel Domelight supervision directly to the Ford orn/grn at the rear of the light switch. No relays, no diodes. The orn/grn is the control for the Ford's dome light relay. Ground the orn/grn = domelights ON.
This was very helpful! I will look into this as I've only ever heard that a relay was needed, but it makes sense.
oldandtired 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2015 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  
Willy1004: I too have recently purchased a remote start for my ford F150 truck and eagerly awaiting its delivery. These forums are a great tool for resource as there are many skilled trades people and and avid DIY'ers. Please post your results with your install as I was curious as well regarding the dome light. Happy new year.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic