icon

Rs1-g3 only Starts w/Key in Ingnition

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
reopfd4mwtnmq77 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2014 at 9:43 AM / IP Logged  
I have an RS1-G3 Crimestopper remote starter installed in a 2012 Subaru Impreza.
Recently, when attempting to remote start the car, the car will turn to ON, but attempts to start the engine are not made. There is no blinking parking light sequence to indicate a problem.
If I put a key in the ignition, leaving the key in the OFF position, and attempt to remote start the car, it starts up without trouble.
From reading on this forum it seems that this means there is an issue with the bypass ring that is looped over the ignition on the steering column to fake the car into thinking a key is in the ignition.
Can someone provide me a bump in the right direction toward resolving this?
yellow_cake 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2014 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  
So it was working before at some point? Did you have the keys reprogrammed or any work done to the vehicle?
Have a look underneath the dash where the remote starter is... Look for the bypass module and post the brand/model.
reopfd4mwtnmq77 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2015 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  
I finally got the car back in the garage to take the dash apart.
The bypass module was wrapped in electrical tape; the only label on the module tore off with the tape. I opened the module up and took pictures of everything. I see no indication of brand or model though.
I'm unsure of what my next step should be. Both wires going into this module were well seated.
Rs1-g3 only Starts w/Key in Ingnition -- posted image.
Keys were never reprogrammed. I do all the work on the vehicle myself. About 2 months ago I had to reprogram the remote starter remotes after their batteries died. Everything was working great for a while since then, before this latest issue.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2015 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  
well based off a basic key in the box, one plug is for the loop to the ignition, the other will contain (constant 12v, ground, keysense)
you need to meter the wire and figure it out. You most likely have no ground when running, or the key in the box is bad. You can easily test by hearing if the relay clicks.
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
banthonyb71 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2015 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  
take the key out of the box and put it in the ignition to see if it starts the car just like the other key. if it doesnt start then the problem is with the key. you can confirm this by taking the key you orginally started the car with and put it in the box, if it starts you have a bad key. if it doeasnt, there is 3 possiblitys of the bypass being the issue.
1. The antenna ring that comes from the bypass and wraps around the key cylinder is either bad or more likely has moved out of position. confirm this by playing with the ring and attempting to start the car. the ring should be as close to the front of the barrel as possible without touching metal.
2.the wiring has failed. check to make sure that the black wire sees ground and the red wire sees 12volt during remote start
3. the worst case scenario, bypass has failed and you need a new one, although this is extremly rare.
reopfd4mwtnmq77 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2015 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you both for the quick replies!
I checked the antenna ring. Looked good.
I went to try the key from the bypass module in the ignition (I don't know why I didn't think to do that on my own!). The guy who did the hack job install of the remote starter at the dealer decided it was a good idea to cut 3/4" off the end of the key so it would fit in the module box. Is this common practice? wth
I took our spare key (it's not a valet like the one that was in the box - it has the unlock/lock/alarm built into the head of the key) and put that into the ribbon cable on the bypass module.
The car started with the remote!
Now to find the cheapest way to get a new valet key programmed.
Thank you for the help!!!
banthonyb71 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2015 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  
it is not uncommon to cut the metal of the key. it has no effect on the performance of the bypass. the chip in the head is all that matters.
unfortunately the specific box you are using was designed poorly. there are many keys that will not fit in this box without modifications.
I have cut keys to fit before, however, only when it is a spare or uncut key.
I would never cut the head off the customers valet key unless it was absolutely needed.
banthonyb71 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2015 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  
let me clarify. what I meant by I never cut an uncut key is, I never cut in half a key that is cut to the lock.
as in aftermarket keys..that are purchased without being cut to the vehicle (or blank) used solely for the chip in the head.
only other time you would cut in half a lock cut key, is when the customer doesn't ever need it back and has given permission to cut it.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2015 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  
you can get that key reprogrammed by a locksmith or dealer. They will clone the code over.
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
reopfd4mwtnmq77 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2015 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks banthonyb71. That further confirms my thoughts that the install was done about as poorly as possible.
I patched everything back up with the spare key in the module and attempted to remote start the car once more. No luck.
I undid the massive amounts of electrical tape on the wiring going to the connector with the black and red wires for the bypass module. The 20(?) gauge yellow/black wire coming off the 12pin harness on the RS1-G3 was joined with a butt crimp connector to the black wire leading into the bypass module.
I stuck a test wire in the back of the red pin on the bypass module connector to test for 12V during remote start. This test passed.
I then stuck a test wire in the back of the black pin on the bypass module connector to test for ground. This test FAILED.
I cut the butt connector out of the mix and soldered a proper connection. Still no ground.
I also stuck a test wire directly into the yellow/black pin on the 12 pin harness where it goes into the RS1-G3. No ground here either during remote start.
Looking at the documentation, as you said, the yellow/black should show ground during remote start. It does not.
What's my next step?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic