wiring an ipod into a cd-changer mini iso

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
max dread 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2015 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  
Hi all
I was hoping that some technically minded car audio wizard might be able to help me out here.
I currently have an OEM CD changer hooked up to a stereo via mini-ISO. As I understand it, if I were to unplug that and plug in one of these:
http://www.connects2.co.uk/HeadUnitProductInformation.aspx?id=CT29BP02
it would not work because the stereo would not register the fact that anything was plugged in. The mode button would just cycle between tape and radio and no longer let me choose CD.
QUESTION1. Would that definitely be the case or is it worth a go?
Presuming for a moment that it would not work, my plan is to keep the CD Changer connected so that the stereo recognises it and lets me choose "CD", but remove pins 19 and 20 from the mini-ISO and in their place insert the left and right wires from a chopped end of a jack to jack audio lead. The unchopped end can then go into my iPod.
QUESTION2. Would this work?
If so, what I'd also like to know is:
QUESTION3. Could I possibly harm my iPod by doing this? I have an old mp3 player that I will try it with first, but it would still be nice to know of any potential damage risks.
QUESTION4. Pin 18 on the mini-ISO is for the ground. Should I use the ground from the new cable that feeds the iPod? Or the old ground from the CD Changer?
QUESTION5. Is there anything huge and glaring that I have failed to consider? I'm new to car audio and a few days ago I didn't even know what a mini-ISO was!
Any help on this would be hugely appreciated.
Cheers
Max
PS - Just to add - I have taken a number of photos of the stereo (front and back), and the mini-ISO as it is currently wired up. If they are of help, they can be found here:
http://s263.photobucket.com/user/Maxdread/library/Citroen%20Stereo
PPS - In case it is of relevance, the car is a Citroen Xsara (Year 1999) and the stereo is the OEM Philips 22RC465/35S
max dread 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2015 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  
My apologies, the links in my post did not come up as hyperlinks. If it is possible to edit the post and make them hyperlinks, then please do so.
Cheers
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 02, 2015 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
What kind of car?
Does the changer work?
Do you ever use the changer?
max dread 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2015 at 2:29 AM / IP Logged  
Hi there
The car is a Citroen Xsara. Year 1999.
Yes, the changer does work. I have been using it up until now. Once I have the iPod installed, I will no longer have any use for the changer.
Cheers
i am an idiot 
Posted: January 03, 2015 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  
Are you able to disassemble the changer and figure out which 3 wires in the cable are Left audio, Right audio and Shield?
If so, the changer will have to remain connected to the deck. If you can figure out the 3 above mentioned wires, you will have to cut the left and right wires and run them into the cable that you will connect to the headphone jack of the IPod. Connect the shield of the IPod cable to the shield connection of the changer.
max dread 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2015 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  
Hi there
I love your thinking and it is exactly what I should have done. Unfortunately I tried things out a different way and in the process made a mess of the mini-ISO. But I can confirm that the plan definitely works!
So new QUESTION1 is: How the hell do you remove the individual pins from the mini-ISO connector without causing damage? Or are they not designed to be removed? I tried and could not get them out for love nor money. Just to be clear, I'm referring the metal contact pins as in here:
http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/ce/en/product/378650/Mini-ISO-connector-blue-10-contacts;jsessionid=006E82BABF8E0D634082BB959AFC4618.ASTPCEN24?ref=list
QUESTION2 As suspected, the audio L/R and earth is not enough. The "data" needs to be connected as well so that the stereo recognises the input. So, looking at this:
https://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/Imagewerx/radiofit/ISO1.gif
which ones aside form audio need to be connected for the stereo to recognise the input?   13? 14? 17? Only some of those? All of those?
I think once I have these questions answered I should be home and dry.
But I will ask one more question if that is ok.... I need to get just three of those "metal contact pins" (or whatever they're called) to replace the ones I've biffed up. Where would be the best/cheapest place?
Many thanks
i am an idiot 
Posted: January 03, 2015 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  
The radio needs everything but the audio. Hence the changer will still have to be connected. I do not think the pins are designed to come out of the plug, hence disassemble the changer and get the wires or traces at the circuit board.
max dread 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2015 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks "i am an idiot" (I'm sure you are not).
I learnt from someone on another forum that the pins can be removed from the connectors using a needle. Apparently there is a small locking tang which, once disconnected using a needle, sets the pin free.
Unfortunately thigh, I learnt that too late. In my haste, I hacked the mini-ISO connector to death. Beyond death in fact! I took to the connector with a craft knife and sliced it to pieces to get the pins out.
I do have a plan though. Now that I have the 5 needed individual wires from the CD Changer disconnected from the connector (but still attached to their pins), I am going to buy one of these:
http://www.connects2.co.uk/HeadUnitProductInformation.aspx?id=CT29BP02
and then add the 5 wires to it. A bit arse about face I know, but the result should be the same.
The only thing I could do with help with is making sure I put those pins in the correct way. I did not pay close enough attention when taking them out. I know there are only two ways they can go, but of those two I'm not sure which is correct (or if it even matters).
Many thanks for all the help.
max dread 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2015 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged  
max dread wrote:
The only thing I could do with help with is making sure I put those pins in the correct way. I did not pay close enough attention when taking them out. I know there are only two ways they can go, but of those two I'm not sure which is correct (or if it even matters).
My Fiio L11 arrived today (to give me a line out feed from the iPod), and the CT29BP02 cable arrives tomorrow. So hopefully all will be done and dusted tomorrow.
From what I can see, it makes little to no difference which way the pin goes into the connector block (by which I mean out of the two possible correct ways, not the two ways which would plainly be wrong). If there is only one single way they should go in, then if anyone can let me know that would be a massive help.
Thank you so much for all the help you've given me with this.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic