convert ground when closed triggers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sam369 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2015 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  
Ween wrote:
Ok. There are relays available that trigger on much less current than the bosch type. You'd need to look for a 12 volt coil, spdt contacts, with a minimal coil current. Use one on the hood pin. I'd still wire the trunk with the diodes and resistor, converting it to positive. Unless of course you need to know specifically if the trunk is triggered. Maybe some members will chime in with other suggestions, other than the obvious addition of independent hood and trunk switches.
The wiring scheme basically convert open circuit to positive input. Can I just use a relay to convert the positive input to negative input?
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2015 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged  
Sure, but as you found out, there is an additional drain on the battery. The relay coil is activated when the vehicle is off. That's why I recommended finding a relay with a coil that draws the least amount of current.
sam369 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2015 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
Ween wrote:
Sure, but as you found out, there is an additional drain on the battery. The relay coil is activated when the vehicle is off. That's why I recommended finding a relay with a coil that draws the least amount of current.
I mean use the wiring scheme posted by kreg357: https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/file.asp?ID=1121
but instead of connecting to positive trigger, connecting to pin 86 of a relay. Pin 85 and pin 30 to ground, pin 87 to (-) trigger of alarm. I guess a relay with much lower coil voltage is required.
sam369 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2015 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  
Can I buy a 6v coil relay and measure its resistance and then use a resistor parallel with the coil so that the total resistance for them is 10 kohm. This way the coil should get 6v when the circuit of the factory trigger wire is open. Right?
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2015 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  
a reed relay is what you're looking for. Personally i would use positive door triggers (use of diodes and resistors) and for trunk and hood pin use mercury switches.
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
sam369 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2015 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
tedmond wrote:
a reed relay is what you're looking for. Personally i would use positive door triggers (use of diodes and resistors) and for trunk and hood pin use mercury switches.
Would you please explain how I should use the reed relay?
sam369 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2015 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  
This one seems to be low consumption: https://www.westfloridacomponents.com/REL052APH02/12.5mA+12V+Low+Signal+Relay+Omron+G5V-1-DC12.html
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2015 at 6:50 AM / IP Logged  
Can you not still get a DEI DTI Mazda for trunk and hood?
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2015 at 8:06 AM / IP Logged  
Aren't your door switches normally open - they only close with the door open?
That's what the DEI techtip refers to.
Use a normal relay; there is no drain unless a door is open (and BCM etc is active).
And re that TechTip 1921 diagram, I don't see why ONE 10k (or 1k) resistor from the (+) Door trigger input to +12v fused isn't used instead of its four resistors...
sam369 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2015 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
Can you not still get a DEI DTI Mazda for trunk and hood?
The problem is the alarm system uses negative triggers for those, but the tech tip and DTIMAZDA are for positive trigger. In fact, when trunk and hood are opened, the wires read +12v, but when I tried, they cannot work with the relays, maybe too less current, so I doubt DTIMAZDA output can power relays.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic