the12volt.com spacer
icon

ceiling dvd dome light relay now buzzing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
subarudude 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2015 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote subarudude
Hello All. very new to auto electrical work. I have a 2012 Subaru Outback. Installed Ceiling mount DVD. Original dome light is negative trigger and new DVD needs positive trigger. I installed SPDT Relay. Pin 87 and 86 tied together constant power. Pin 85 connects to car negative trigger. Pin 30 is now positive and connects to DVD dome light. GREAT now everything works when I open and close a door. Now the problem. When I close the door the doom light goes to about 8V and stays there around 10 seconds and dims out. The relay makes an awful buzzing. I have seen posts to add diodes and capacitors but I am a little lost even with a picture I saw Any ideas with instructions? Thank You
subarudude 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2015 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote subarudude
I found this very useful thread below. Not exactly sure where placement of diode and capacitor is since I am converting negative to positive.
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=114184&tpn=3#555333
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 18, 2015 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Wire the diode and the capacitor just as it is in that picture. You are going to be using the other terminals to convert it to positive. Positive voltage to 30 and the positive wire going to your new light to 87.
subarudude 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2015 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote subarudude
30 is still the positive connection to the dome light on the DVD player correct? I have 87 and 86 tied together. Do I leave that all in place and add the capacitor between 86 and 85? 85 gets a diode and that connects to the existing negative trigger coming from the original dome light connection. Is this all correct? Thank you for your help.
i am an idiot 
Posted: January 18, 2015 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Yes, all appears to be correct. Just make sure you polarize the capacitor correctly.
subarudude 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2015 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote subarudude
I order the parts and followed the directions that were in these forums. It worked perfect. The buzzing is gone. Parts I used SPDT Relay Absolute RLS-125, Capacitor 1,000 uF, Diode IN4001 - micromini (Radio Shack)
ceiling dvd dome light relay now buzzing -- posted image.
subarudude 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2015 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote subarudude
I noticed in that pic the color of the wires did not show well where part of the unused red wire looks black as it loops up. And the blue wire looks half blue and half black. Focus on my diagram. Thanks a ton for the help..
i am an idiot 
subarudude 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2015 at 7:20 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote subarudude
Would it be OK to shrink wrap the Diode and Capacitor? I need to jam this up in the ceiling and there is a lot of metal up there.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic