icon

remote start sudden range decrease

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stevieb_wv 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2015 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged  
I have a Crimestopper RS4-G2 installed in a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer with a Fortin INT-SL+ data module.
Everything worked perfect up until a couple of days ago and the range basically went to nothing.
I have to be within 10 feet of the vehicle for the remote to work. I have complete line of sight with no obstructions at all.
This started suddenly with no changes to wiring or programming.
I have replaced the remote batteries with brand new Duracells, even though the current ones were just a few months old, but it didn't make any difference.
I am currently having 2 trains of thought. One, the antenna is bad, or two, the radio receiver in the module developed a problem.
I do have a meter and plan to test continuity through the antenna cable.
Does anyone have any other thoughts? When these things go bad, is this what they do, or do they just die like most electronics?
Thanks for any help!
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2015 at 9:32 AM / IP Logged  
if your spare remote works fine then you can rule out the antenna. If its the same symptom it would either be two things: 1) bad antenna or 2) bad ground
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
stevieb_wv 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2015 at 9:43 AM / IP Logged  
I should have stated, both remotes work identical, no range.
The ground is to a good clean metal chassis connection under the dash inside, but I will try some different spots to see if it makes a difference.
I guess an antenna can just go bad, but I don't know how the ground could change since it's inside and not exposed to rust or corrosion.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2015 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  
Check the voltage between the grounding point and your 12Volt constant feeds, should read about 12.5
If so you're looking at a bad antenna or lead, can't rule out bad receiver until you have a spare antenna and lead.
Not too familiar with Crimestopper, only have DEI products in the UK but I don't think I ever heard of a bad radio receiver.
stevieb_wv 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2015 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  
I believe that I may have it solved.
I checked my ground and voltage to ground was fine. I also ran a wire from the ground straight to the battery as a test, but it made no difference.
I then pulled the antenna and cable out of the car and tested continuity through the cable. It was fine. I connected the antenna and tested continuity again to the connection inside the antenna box. It was fine as well. Just to be on the safe side, I fired up my soldering iron and redid all of the connections on the little PCB inside the box and put it all back together.
Reinstalled the antenna in the car and connected it back up and Voila, the range is back to normal again.
I'm hoping that it was just a cold solder joint giving me problems. I guess time will tell.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2015 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  
Glad you solved it. It takes courage and ability to do what you did and cure the ad joint.
stevieb_wv 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2015 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I guess I spoke too soon. Problem is back again...
I'm just about ready to just buy a new kit. Only reason a whole new kit is because I can get one for 30 bucks more than just the antenna...
This is sooo frustrating.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic