the12volt.com spacer
icon

rear view camera video noise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jrcustomcar 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2015 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jrcustomcar
I've got a ford factory backup camera wired to RCA input on my Kenwood DNX981HD. I had a set of backup lights that I sold to a customer, that I replaced quickly after I sold them. With the original lights, I would get just a little bit of static/noise in the video. With these new lights (27watt led reverse flood lights) I am getting so much video noise (horizontal lineS/flickering/camera cutting out) that I had to disconnect them just to use the camera. The camera works perfectly without them.
Steps I have taken to remedy this situation before disconnecting them:
Originally had the power feeding directly from the reverse wire at the 7 pin RV/trailer wiring harness for both reverse signal and power for the lights. Both grounds were originally on one side of the trialler hitch, a 3/8" ring terminal bolted to the stud that holds the lights in place. I noticed when I disconnected the power from the lights that the noise went away. So I put a relay from the trailer battery charging wire to just the lights, still had video noise. I moved the ground for the lights to the other side of the trailer hitch, wire brushed the paint off both sides where the ring terminals grounded, nothing. I used an alligator clip connected to the ring terminal to test a few spots on the body for another suitable ground (for the lights) and each location still had induced video noise with the lights on. I moved the video wire away from the wires for the lights to see if they were possibly causing interference-nada. I'm at a loss!
I would really like to have both (and there's no logical reason that I shouldnt) because I plow with this truck and it makes a huge difference having the extra lighting and the camera when backing up.
Suggestions? Is there some sort of ground loop isolator that I can try? I don't ever use them in audio installations, and from what I understand audio GLI's are not compatible with video feed.
jrcustomcar 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2015 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jrcustomcar
Also of note, vehicle is a 2008 F250, and the lines (noise) are present whether vehicle is on or off. My next step is going to be to draw power from
A separate power source not connected to the vehicle and see if the lines are still present.
jrcustomcar 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2015 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jrcustomcar
Ok this is definitely a voltage sensitivity issue. I noticed that most of the time backing up while holding a button on the plow controller the screen goes to perfect for a few seconds. Obvioisly this gives a momentary voltage drop, which my first suspicion was that the draw from the lights actually caused the lines in the screen. It's actually harder to see with these new brighter lights in the video screen so I may end up going with lower wattage flood leds
jrcustomcar 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2015 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jrcustomcar
No responses here yet...but I just came across the discovery that the lights ONLY create interference when battery voltage is 12 volts or higher. So basically whenever the truck is running...I shut the truck off and observed after a minute or so that once the voltage dropped to 12V and below (11.6ish) the lines in the screen cleared up completely.
I've considered running a voltage regulator in line with the lights but I haven't been able to find an adjustable one that would support the current draw of the lights (54 watts/12Volts=4.5Amps)
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2015 at 2:54 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote oldspark
This is a thread I missed...
I was going to ask if "the lines (noise) are present whether vehicle is on or off" meant/included when the reverse lights are on.
If so I'd suspect the LEDs (kinda obviously...). I'll bet they use a dc-dc converter and that converter is noisy.
A cap across the camera supply (as near the camera as possible) may solve the problem, else a PSU filter - ie, inductive/capacitor line filter.
A simple test other than trying the cap/filter may be to power the camera from a separate battery (with its -ve/GND connected to the vehicle's GND tho a fully isolated battery would be a 2nd test if common GND is still noisy - provided that does not blow the camera - which it shouldn't - ie, its GND/batt- is probably internally connected or referenced to signal GND).
The above assumes powerline EMI. If it's radiated EMI (RFI)... where do we start? A cap or filter across the LEDs (as close as possible to the LEDs)? Ensuring separation of LED supply and camera supply & signal wiring? Proper camera coax & shielding? Opening one end of the camera shielding (usually art the far end)?
Tho the reduced voltage clearing the problem is interesting (maybe surprising?) I don't think V-Reging the LEDs is the answer.
But I think the above suggestions should be trialled before going down that path.
jrcustomcar 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2015 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jrcustomcar
I tried per your advice to run a cap in a few different configurations in different places, to no avail. I'm sure that running the camera off an isolated battery would correct this issue--I actually used a jump pack to run the LEDs while the camera and everything else ran off the vehicle power, this corrected video noise issue. It's a diesel and does have two batteries, but it's not really feasible to isolate it, at least financially doesn't make sense to for this small issue.
I threw in the towel and ordered another set of lights...this time they're even higher wattage (started with 18watt, then 27, 27again, now 42 watt)
I'm 90% certain this will correct the issue I'm having. Will update.
jrcustomcar 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2015 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jrcustomcar
Got the new lights installed. While I was at it I ran new video and power wire for the camera. I grounded the lights right at the trailer wiring harness and grounded the camera on the mounting bolt for the light on the trailer hitch. No more video noise. I'm 95% sure that just changing the lights would have resolved the issue but I figured id go the extra mile, I ran the video and 12v accessory (camera power) and reverse signal + in separate split loom tubing front to back, soldered and heat shrinked every splice, and even added a quick disconnect for the lights in case they ever cause interference in the future, I can just unplug them.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2015 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote oldspark
Bottom line - problem solved.
I figure it was the light's converter noise but then again, may such problems are solved by rerouting cables and changing grounds.
Thanks for the closure.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic