icon

Subwoofer, Which Configuration to Use?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rr pilot 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2015 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  
apologize if this is covered in a sticky or other thread. if so, please point me to it.
i want to maximize space but also want quality bass. should i go with two 8" subs or one 12"?
going to build/install a subbox for the trunk of my sedan. stock harmon kardon 7.1 fiber optic system is lacking low end and is pushing me towards a Audiocontrol LC2i line level converter and mono sub amp.
the surface area of two 8" is a little less than one 12". however, there are better options to save space with using the 8's as the space against the rear seat is limited height-wise. also, it appears with using JLaudio 8's, i can get away with using relatively smaller volume. and if i go with a port and do correctly, i can still get down to lower frequencies.
1. so the purpose of this post is hopefully ascertain whether i can get two 8's to perform like one 12".
2. if so, using subs such as an Image Dynamics IDQ8D4V4 or a JLAudio 8W3v3-4, in a ported box, what is a practical frequency to tune for? 35-42hz?
let's start there. thanks in advance.
Appreciate your help!
sirhutson 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2015 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  
If you get the right subs and amp you can make 2 8's sound like 2 12's! And yes 2 8's is very close to the surface area of 1 12 so you will get close to the same output. The JL 8w3's need .35 per ported, which is very very good on the space saving side of things. PLUS 8s sound better than 12s in my opinion they are way faster and pack a tighter punch. For more lower frequency response tune that port on the 8s a tad bit lower. So answer, go with 2 8's, you will get a better sound experience and save some space!
Hutson-
rr pilot 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2015 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  
sirhutson,
thanks for your reply. i agree with you. with the limited equipment i would typically use (read tight budget) 12's are a bit muddier. that being said, im gonna give the Arc Audio KS500.1 Mini a try.
ALSO! an interesting find - JL Audio CP208LG-W3V3. I was going to make a wedge box to fit against the back seat, but this square one will do! its basically the same thing i was going to make except without the headache. i love creating customized boxes, but i dislike making them. this solution serves my purpose - to save space yet still have a good signal response range. i hope its not a coincidence, all the reviews on this sub box state the same thing you said above about using 8's.
Appreciate your help!
sirhutson 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2015 at 4:55 PM / IP Logged  
I use that exact dual 8 box all the time in tight space applications. Remember it's wired for 2 ohms though. Is the arc audio a 1 ohm amp?
Hutson-
rr pilot 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2015 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  
sirhutson
i presume the box is wired for 2ohms, two 4ohm speakers in series.
i do not believe the arc audio is 1ohm stable.
however, after deliberating on the way arc audio chose to measure their specs, given their grand write up bragging on how ingenious their class G/H creation, it seems more like an egotistical design rather than an innovation. i chickened out and went with the JL 600/1V3. its on order. the layout and size of the JL 600 are less convenient however i will live with it, mounting underneath the reardeck instead of hiding it as i previously planned with the arc audio.
the JL is 2ohm stable 500wrms at 12.5V
Appreciate your help!
sirhutson 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2015 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
You will love that amp! I use the older 1000 watt version of that series. Complete beast
Hutson-

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic