icon

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/Infinity

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
myownid21 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2003 at 3:15 AM / IP Logged  
I recently purchased a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with the factory Infinity/Bose premium sound setup.   The setup includes the Infinity head unit, speakers, and amplifier underneath the rear left passenger seat.  The problem I am having is in trying to replace the factory head unit with a new Pioneer Deh-P3500.  I am able to get everything on the new cd player functioning properly, except I cannot get any sound from the vehicle speakers.  I am using a factory converter to take care of the wiring, but there is a small port on the bottom rear of the unit in which a purple and a WHITE/ black wire run into the port.  This is the only part of the install which I cannot figure out.  I have tried for some time now and contacted many different people, but no one seems to be able to help.  I know the problem has to be with the ground for the Infinity amp, but I don't know how to complete the install.  Any information regarding this particular problem would be greatly appreciated.
Michael Deegan
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2003 at 8:22 AM / IP Logged  
Make sure that if there's a GREEN/ black wire loose there behind the dash, that it's hooked up to ground.  That's the ground for the infinity amp.   Also did you hook up the pioneer's amp remote wire to the blue wire of the wiring harness (assuming you used one)?  These are the two main connections that need to be made for the infinity amplifier to turn on.
Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
myownid21 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2003 at 1:09 AM / IP Logged  

esmith69

i checked throughoughly over the rear connections, and was able to find no GREEN/ black wire.  The only GREEN/ black was on the wiring harness I purchased for the install.  I have the ground from the Pioneer running through a male spade, and inserted that into the female ground port coming from the factory wiring bundle.  Also, the blue "power antenna" wire is running into the Pioneer's blue/white amplifier remote.  With the application of the spade into the stock ground, I can now get very grainy sound only at top volume, but nothing can really be discerned.  The only two wires left run into a small plastic connecter, attaching to two prongs in a recessed port on the factory face.  The two wires are a WHITE/ black and a solid purple.  The harness I have does have WHITE/ black and solid purple wires, which has them labeled as WHITE/ black being the left front negative, and the purple being the right rear positive.  The harness is a scosche CR01.  Could the WHITE/ black wires coming from the harness be run into the separate small separate connecter, instead of into the factory converters.  I have tried splicing the wires coming from the two-wire connecter with the WHITE/ black and purple coming from teh harness, and the ones from the cd player, but to no effect.  Also, this might help...when I combined the two wires from the connector together, I short-circuited all of my gauges, power windows, and the like.  However, when I separated them, everything went back to normal.  Would running the WHITE/ black and purple of the pioneer into those two separate wires and bypassing the harness completely on those two sound like a pausible solution?  Or perhaps splicing those two wires into the harness and then running it to the cd player?  The only other thing I can thing is making entirely new connections, and the idea is not very appealing.  Any further help will be greatly appreciated.

Michael Deegan

Michael Deegan
esmith69 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2003 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  

Almost always when I install aftermarket head units in the Chrysler vehicles with Infinity sound systems, I just use the same standard Chrylser wiring harness (consisting of a black rectangular plug and a grey rectangular plug) and hook everything up as if it were a normal sound system in the vehicle and just plug the harness into the factory wiring.  I just always make sure that the wiring harness' blue wire is hooked up to the aftermarket head unit's amp remote wire.  You do not usually need a converter unless you plan on turning the head unit up to near it's maximum volume.  The factory infinity amps use a high-level signal for their input and that's why you can hook up all the aftermarket head unit's speaker wires and it will be able to use those as the input.

I couldn't tell if this is what you were using or if you were also trying to use a premium system converter, but if you were trying to use such a converter I'd try to eliminate that from the wiring and see if everything then works properly.  As long as you have the right wiring harness adapter, all the connections will be a piece of cake because it's just matching up the wires of the pioneer harness with the wires in the grey and black plugs that make up the Chrysler wiring harness adapter. Do all of these connections first, then test it out and see if it works.  Only then should you consider messing with any unused factory wires that were left over.

The pioneer harness should have the following wires in it:

yellow/black: cell phone mute....do NOT hook this wire up to anything

yellow:  +12 volts constant/memory -> yellow wire in Chrysler wiring harness adapter

red: +12 volts switched -> red wire in Chrysler wiring harness adapter

ORANGE / white:  this from crutchfield:  This unit is equipped with a wire that Pioneer calls an illumination lead, however, it acts as a dimmer lead. When the illumination wire of this unit receives power and the dimmer feature has been turned on, the display will dim to a preset level. When the power and constant wires are connected and the illumination wire is supplied with voltage (when you turn your lights on), the button illumination remains on even if the unit is turned off completely."  I recommend you do not hook up this wire to anything, and just tape it off.

black: ground  ->braided metal grounding strap

blue/white: amp remote wire-> chrysler harness adapter (black plug) solid blue wire (labeled as "power antenna")

All 8 speaker wires have to all be hooked up to the corresponding wires of the Chrysler harness adapter.  the front left negative and front right negative wires are in the grey plug of the harness, and the remaining 6 speaker wires are in the black plug.

white:  left front positive

WHITE/ black:  left front negative

grey:  right front positive

grey/black:  right front negative

green: left rear positive

GREEN/ black: left rear negative

purple: right rear positive

PURPLE / black: right rear negative

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 15, 2003 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with what esmith says----just wire it up normally, including the power antenna/amp turn-on wire as you did---and it should play just fine. No special amp-interface part is needed.
At this point in the game, maybe you should try plugging the factory radio back in, just to make sure the Infinity amp is still working correctly.
Also, that small white two-pin plug with the WHITE/ black and purple wires is for the steering wheel controls; you don't need to (and shouldn't) connect any of your Pioneer wires to these.
isaacrs 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2003 at 7:36 AM / IP Logged  
I'm having a problem wiring up a BRAND NEW Alpine CDA-9813.  In a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the Infinity Sound System.  I have looked over all the other messages in here and tried everything.  I can get the deck to turn on and run cd's and everything.  I just can't get any sound to come out.  I have checked all the wiring on the harness's and still no luck.  Do i have to do something with the existing infinity amp or is there something that is really small that i forgot.  I have put in many different steroes in different makes of cars, but have never had this problem.  Please let me know if there is anything you can think of that would be wrong....
esmith69 
Posted: June 18, 2003 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  

Most likely it is just a small thing that you might have accidentally overlooked.  Did you hook up the GREEN/ black wire to a ground connection?  Are all of the head unit's speaker output wires properly connected to a Chrysler 70-1817 type harness?  And is the wire labeled "power antenna" hooked up to the alpine's amp remote wire?

Just as Chris Luongo recommended to myownid21, you should probably try to plug the factory radio back in to make sure that you get sound with it connected.  If not, then probably a fuse to the infinity amp was accidently blown at some point during the installation process.

Ethan
-----
Donate to the12volt.com
isaacrs 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2003 at 11:09 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for your info, i'm going to go over everything again.  But if that doesn't work, i'm going to bring it in to a professional tonight....Thanks again!!!
myownid21 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2003 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  

Okay,

I have ran over all the connections again.  The power antenna to the amp remote, cd player ground to ground from infinity amp (black female plug), and all other connections running to the wiring harness.  However, I still cannot get anything from the speakers.  I am using a pair of Cerwin 12s and a pioneer amp, and they run fine, bass response is excellent, but still nothing from the speakers.  I have tried grounding the GREEN/ black wire with a separate ground wire, grounding the Infinity ground and new cd player ground separately, grounding them together using a spliced in ground, tried running the acc wire (red) into the amp remote with the memory (because someone mentioned that the aftermarket cd player might not be getting enough power to run the amp/speakers, and needed help?), but I still cannot get anything.  I have tried asking local at the local car stereo shop (they are the only one in town), but they keep telling me that it should be running fine.  Is there anything that I am missing?  Is there any way to find out if the factory amp is grounded?  Because time and time again, whenever I put back in the factory stereo, everything runs fine.  It is only when I put in the new face that the problems begin?  The guys at our stereo shop did not seem to interested in doing an install, and I am running out of ideas?  HELP!!!

Michael Deegan

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic