icon

What size capacitor do I need?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
underground 
Copper - Posts: 127
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2003 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  
I am running a power acoustik 1600 watt amp to two Audiobahn subs (550 rms). The amp is wired for 310 x 2 @ 4 ohms. So what size cap do I need for this set-up? I sometimes have to rev up my motor just so the system will turn on. Will the cap help with this problem? Thanks on advance!
thomasbutler 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2003 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  
With that set up you most likely need a high output altenator.  If your lights are dimming and you have to rev up engine those are symptoms that your altenator is not putting out enough power for your whole electrical system and your amp.  Most likely the altentor is your problem.  And from other posts i noticed that the only reason you would need a cap is if you listen to alot of rock music for rap it probably wouldnt help.  Hope that helped you a little.   
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2003 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  

ya a bigger alt and a 1 farad cap will do ya good..

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
cavyman 
Copper - Posts: 88
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2003 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  

I will also agree.  A high output alternator and a cap(if needed).  The alternator might do the trick.  Do u listen to your rock or rap music really loud?? 

I would get the alternator, then see if your lights are still dimming.  If they are then get a cap.  If they arent, dont waste your money.  The cap just gives you back the power you lose coming thru the power wire from the battery to the amp. 

1 plus 1 equals 2
sonicsound 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2003 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  

I would say don't worry about the alternator.  Grab a yellow top optima battery which can take those deep hits and get a 2 farad cap.  Cap's are pretty much made the same except Monster Caps and stinger caps.  Those are made better from my experience.  You can grap some caps for a good price at etronics.com, millionbuy.com or thezeb.com.  An alternator can be too much of  hassle.  But all of these possabilites mentioned above me are all good ones.

Sonic
Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD
Zapco 360.4
Zapco 500.1
Zapco SP-4SL Processor
Two JL 10 W3v3d2
Alumapro 15 Farad Cap

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic