icon

relay flip-flop

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
techrat 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2002 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  

i am trying to control an actuator using one momentary pushbutton switch.

i would like it to work like this:

when you press the button the actuator moves in one direction, then when you release it the actuator stops. when you press it again the actuator goes in the opposite direction until you release the button.

i know how to make the relays to reverse the motion,  but what i cant figure out is how to make one pulse operate the inputs to the reverse polarity pack without one of the relays remaining energized.

jimmeezgolfvr6 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2002 at 6:01 AM / IP Logged  
there's actually no simple way of doing this with just relays (at least, not to my knowledge). consider using 2 separate momentary switches, or one switch that has 2 momentary positions (usually called a "on-off-on" momentary switch). it would work very similarly to a power window or door lock switch, and can be purchased at most electronics components stores.
techrat 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2002 at 6:30 AM / IP Logged  
i want to use a varad stick shift knob to control 4 functions, nitrous,2 actuators and fog lamps. i don't want to use all 4 buttons for the actuators. i am still trying to figure it out i think i will be able to do it with a couple of caps.  any othe rinfo or links would be appreciated , thanks
jimmeezgolfvr6 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2002 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  
i take it that you're referring to door lock actuators? would they not both be locking and unlocking at the same time? if so, then just 2 buttons will be needed to control both of them (or even as many as you want, as long as they all lock and unlock in unison).
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2002 at 8:45 AM / IP Logged  

Hi techrat, if you only want to use one momentary switch, you can use a latching relay with two common SPDT relays to do what you described without a constant current draw like the ones here:

http://www.goodmancomponents.com/products/

the12volt

techrat 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2002 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  
actually i want to control two linear actuators, one for each split of a rear seat.
the12volt 
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2002 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged  

Do you want to use the same pulse for both? Or do you want to use seperate pulses for each? What exactly do you have in mind and how many pulses do you wish to use to operate it?

the12volt

techrat 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2002 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  

i would like to use 2 momentary switches, one for each linear actuator.

example of how one side and one switch would work :

press(+hold) = motor moves seat forward until button is released

release button = no movement (and no relays energized)

press(+hold) = motor moves seat backward until button is released

release button = no movement (and no relays energized)

and so on....

if i can get this to work from the stick shift it would be great!

the12volt 
Posted: March 12, 2002 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  

Hi techrat, using latching relays (ones I linked to earlier) with SPDT relays you can accomplish this for each. I'll be out most of the day and I'll try to draw up a diagram for you sometime this evening.

the12volt

wirewise 
Moderator - Posts: 489
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 14, 2002 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  
Hey techrat, just spoke with volt and he asked me to pass this on to you.
When the coil of the latching relay it is momentarily energized, one contact and the common are closed and stay closed even after the coil is no longer energized. When it is momentarily energized again, the other contact and the common are closed.
For each actuator, connect one motor lead of the actuator to #30 of an SPDT relay and #87a to ground. Connect the other motor lead of the actuator to a second SPDT relay and wire as above. On the first relay connect #86 to one of the contacts (non common) of the latching relay and connect #86 of the second SPDT relay to the other contact (non common) of the latching relay. Connect #87 and #85 of both SPDT relays and one side of the coil of the latching relay to 12V+. Connect the (-) output of one momentary switch to the cathode sides of two diodes. Connect the anode side of one diode to the other side of the coil of the latching relay and connect the anode side of the second diode to the common contact of the latching relay.
When you press the momentary contact switch, the motor should move in one direction for as long as you hold it and stop when you release it. When you press and hold it again, it should move in the opposite direction.
~~wirewise~~
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic