icon

Cut-Cab Speaker box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
AudioBAHNvlcm 
Copper - Posts: 209
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2003 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  
awhile ago i posted a question on a speaker box design.  well now i am probably gonna scrap the ideas i had, and look into building just a rectangle box in the bed of my truck, and cut the cab in order to have to subs fire into the truck.  since its a single cab, i wouldnt have to have my seats so far forward.  i would most likey use 2 eclipse titanium 12s, or possibly JL w7.  does anyone have any opinions on this plan, or ideas or comments.  thanks
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2003 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  
Comments, how's about yah go for it. Get yourself some canopy expansion liner (a flexible gasket that attaches a canopy to a rear window). This will keep a seal between the cutout of the back wall and the cutout in the box of the truck. You can find it at some auto parts stores but more than likely an RV or canopy dealer. For subs, read the post about Eclipse vs. Kicker, Eclipse all the wayCut-Cab Speaker box -- posted image..
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
AudioBAHNvlcm 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2003 at 2:44 AM / IP Logged  
how big of a box should i make,  as in, height x width x depth?  what would be a good size?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2003 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  
You need to finalize your choice of subs before you can go for the sub box.Cut-Cab Speaker box -- posted image.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
AudioBAHNvlcm 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2003 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
okay, its between the Eclipse Titaniums, or the JL w7.  how about we take them one at a time, and see what size box I would need for each brand.  so...how big of a box would i need for 2 eclipse titanium 12s?  and..how big of a box would i need for 2 JL 12W7s?  that also might help me come to a conclusion on what i will pick.  thanks
AudioBAHNvlcm 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2003 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  
does anyone have any suggestions on box sizes?  how big should i make them?
mindctrl 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2003 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  

Don't go with the W7.  Our local Car Toys has them, and they completely suck.  Especially compared to Eclipse.  I don't trust anything Car Toys says, anyways... =P  So now that you've decided on your Eclipses, you need to find the datasheet for them.  If you buy them right away, each sub will come with one.  Are you going to make this a ported or a sealed box?  If you want something that hits louder, I would suggest the ported box, they usually hit louder then the sealed boxes but they are not protected against turn on thumps and whatnot.  If you've got a quality amp thats not going to matter, anyhow.

Find out what the airspace needed for each sub is, and we can figure out how big you should make your box from there.  I saw a guy do the same thing to his truck, but he had a diamond plated toolbox that went over the box, so it looked perfectly normal on his truck and it did not even look like he had those in there.  If you are planning on putting a canopy on your truck, then I would suggest making the ports so they fire backwards and reverberate inside your canopy, it'll make your truck sound pretty nice on the outside as well.

What kind of truck is this going to be going in?  That can have an effect on it as well.  Let me know, thanks.

--mindctrl

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2003 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  
I would defiantly suggest that you go with the Titanium over the W7. The W7 is a very nice sub but compared to the Titanium it doesn’t come close. If your looking into top of the line subs and you are willing to spend the money I wouldn’t settle for anything but the best. As far as the enclosure sizes go, I would suggest 1.25 cu/ft sealed per sub for the Titanium. On the W7 I would use a sealed enclosure with a volume of 2.0 cu/ft. just my 2 cents here, but in your earlier box design you were adding bench seats and showed a wedge type enclosure behind the seats.  I don’t know what type of room you have back there. But I would try and design an enclosure using fiberglass before I went and cut the truck bed.
AudioBAHNvlcm 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2003 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  

i have very little room behind my seat, i have a wedge box behind my bench seat right now, and my seat is all the way forward, and i have very little leg room, so if i did the cut cab, i could scoot my seat all the back and just have my subs in the bed.  i would have the box all the way up against the front on my bed, and then have a hole the goes through into the cab,  i sketched a quick drawing to get a better idea of what its gonna be.

Cut-Cab Speaker box -- posted image.

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2003 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  
Your pic doesn’t show!
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic