Bumper repair quest

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
slimsurgery 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2004 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  

Hi,

I am hoping I can get some help here, about just a little question I have about my bumper. Well I just got this car like 3 weeks ago, and last week I guess in the parking lot of where I was someone hit me and left like a pick kinda scratch, and some chippings in my bumper, on the drivers side. My ques is, I got some touch up paint from the dealer, how do i fix though that chip, what can I do to fix it, cause I dont just want to paint the part where its chipped. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

May the future bring you more joy then pain.
staudio 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2004 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  
First sand the area, if its light chipping just use sand paper, if its a little deeper you may need a little power like a rotory tool, then get some Bondo from home depot, its a puddy like filler, mix a very small amount, fill and let dry be sure to scrape away the excess and smooth it out while its dry then paint over it.  Thats what I'd do, you could fill it with fiber glass resin and hardener too but thats more mess than its worth.
slimsurgery 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2004 at 12:58 AM / IP Logged  
Thx I will go ahead and try that, I appreciate the help.
May the future bring you more joy then pain.
staudio 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2004 at 1:02 AM / IP Logged  
no problem, just make sure to read the instructions with bondo, it dries like you wouldn't belive!!! lol
Crofty59 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2004 at 2:55 AM / IP Logged  

If its a urethane bumper do not use bondo b/c it will eventually chip back out.  Use either Sem plastic filler or Evercoat's Polyester Glazing Putty.  They are materials made for the plastics and the bending properties.  If fiberglass then fill with a little bondo.  I like the Evercoat rage gold and z grip products myself. 

Prep: sand area to be filled with 220 grit.  then slap in filler material.  sand with 220. then wetsand up to 800 grit.  paint on color match. Wet sand with 800 up to 2000 til smooth.  Buff out

audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2004 at 8:52 AM / IP Logged  
duramix make similar products that work well for the urethane bumpers as well.
Trevor

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic