icon

Cost of custom molding LCD into dash?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
SiDogg 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2004 at 9:36 PM / IP Logged  
I'm looking for a rough estimate (cost and time) for molding an LCD into a dash bezel. Please see the link below for a picture of what I'm talking about.
http://www.streeteffectz.com/_common/images/gallery/fiberglass/big/alexdash7.jpg
http://www.streeteffectz.com/gallery.php?cart[id]=6&cart[page]=0
Basically, it would involve molding the LCD front housing into the dash bezel, blending it, smoothing it, and optionally painting it.
I'm just trying to figure out approx how much it would cost me for JUST THE WORK, not the equipment (LCD/bezels)..
I'm guessing approx. $350?? Does that sound right?
One shop told me "at least $500" but said they'd need to see it in person to be sure..
Seems like a lot..
SiDogg 
Copper spacespace
dangerranger96 
Copper - Posts: 163
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2004 at 12:40 AM / IP Logged  
im probably betting that would cost around $500-$750 to build and install that
SiDogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2004 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
woah, are you for real??
it's just a little bit of fiberglass, some bondo, some sanding, and some painting..
I have the bezels to make the shape already. They'd just need to cover it in fiberglass (make a duplicate bezel) and then position the LCD bezel in the middle and mold them together, that's all really..
93accordSE 
Copper - Posts: 203
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2004 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  

Do it yourself then, if you don't like it you can always make another one.

kickerstang 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2004 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  

you could probably do it yourself for less than $50.  like SiDogg said all it is fiberglass, bondo, sanding and painting. you could actually do it without fiberglass and just use bondo. might take you awhile but at least you can say that you did it. 

just cut out your dash bezel to the size of the front half of your tv's casing(you'll have to take the tv apart first before you mold it in, pull the actual screen out of the casing).  once you have it cut out use speed grip or hot glue or cheese strap or basically anything that will dry fast and position the front half of the casing were you want it.  make sure its sturdy though because you don't want it to start moving around when you start molding it in.  once you secure it place use a spreader( they sell a set of them at home depot for like $5) or something flat, even cardboard works, and start filling in the gaps between the casing and the bezel with bondo. once you fill the gaps in you can concentrate on the cosmetic part and make it blend in like it was put there by the factory. let the bondo dry, sand it, repeat.  do this until you fill it is pretty sturdy.  sand it until you get a smooth surface and the your ready to paint.  i hope this helps!!  good luck!!  let us know how it turns out

what!?!?! you want some??
SiDogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2004 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I've actually made 3 attempts already..
I'm trying the fiberglass route because the LCD is actually just a tad larger than the double-din aftermarket bezel and so it wouldn't fit in the double-din opening when I'm done, so I have to mold in the top part, too, which houses the air vents.
I'm not too worried about the air vents, I can reroute or make some new ones (integrate smaller vent fins in)..
So what I did was took the top vent and bottom double-din pieces and temporarily taped them together really tight.
I have been experimenting laying t-shirt and other materials over the frame, and resin it to make it hard, but it's just not working.
The t-shirt wasn't hard enough. Neither was one layer of fiberglass. I'm worried if I put too many layers on, it will be too tall on the outside. I just need one really good outer layer (thin) and then I will built it up from the inside...
I thought about making a mold out of expanding foam and then pouring bondo milkshake on over the mold, but I think it would be too lumpy and I'd be sanding for months trying to get all of the dimples out because of the foam won't dry smooth enough...
Here's a pic of what I'm actually working with:
http://www.getrealmail.net/~ipvfletch/lcd/dash_bezel.jpg
And the LCD:
http://www.getrealmail.net/~ipvfletch/lcd/lilliput_vga_touch.jpg
Any more ideas?? I might experiment with a single layer of trunk carpet. I hear it's much strong when the resin cures, but it might make the piece too thick/tall on the out side..
Thanks for the input thus far!!
SiDogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2004 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  
I had planned to just use the fiberglass to make the outer frame so it had the right fit and looked OEM in my car, and then I was going to mold in the LCD in the center. The LCD molding is probably the easy part.. It's the outer framing that is a PITA! :\
extreme1 
Silver - Posts: 1,070
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2004 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
Protoge I just completed
I charged the customer 400 in labour and 100 in materials for this job. That is also in Canadian funds so it might be a little cheaper
Shaughn Murley
Install Manager, Dealer Services
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta
SiDogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2004 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  
Wow, that looks nice!!
Did you use duramix??
It's nice when the LCD fits just right inside there w/out any special cutting to the bezel..
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic